princess wu

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

This is my second year for this hosta. I seen this clump of leaves growing. Is this nomal for this hosta? I do not remember this from last year. Is it the flower for "her"? It has really grown from last year.Should I snip it off to give the plant more nutrients? Love it more and more. Thanks, Ronna.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Second year for my Wu also and it doesn't have that. Maybe a flower scape?

edit: shld be scape, not raceme... :)

This message was edited Jun 30, 2014 9:07 PM

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I really do not know? I will have to look it up in plant files maybe.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I think the name should be 'Empress Wu', though there IS a seedling called 'Princess WuWu'. The seedling doesn't seem to be widely available and isn't listed in the Hosta Library.

As far as the scape, some scapes have foliage on them and in immature hostas, sometimes you get scapes that look different. I'd leave it unless you don't like the look of it.

Ann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

You are right it is empress wu. Thanks ViolaAnn. Maybe I will see what it does.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Gardenlady, I'm curious; how is Empress Wu doing now? Has she got blooms? Was that, in fact, a scape? Would love to see an updated photo, if you don't mind please. (and thank you!) :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, speediebean doing great and yes it was a flower scape. I am not to impressed with this hosta. I have others that I love much more than this one.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

The draw is supposed to be the largest hosta ever developed but I'm thinking that will take a few years to reach that milestone. Mine did grow a lot from last year to this year so I'm thinking it will be close to 5' across by the end of this year.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh kooger,yes mine has grown a whole lot from last year also. But it is just blah. I think. Really nothing to exciting about this hosta really. Not pie crust edge on rippled leaves even the flower does not stand up like all the others do. Not to impressed with it.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

True, regarding the leaves, haven't seen a scape go up yet, there's a couple starting to get close to the top of the leaves so in a week or so maybe I'll see where the scape goes.

Thank you Gardenlady, I'm glad that she is doing well for you, but so sorry you find her to be "blah". I've been eying them up at work lately (for the last 2 years, really), but now I'm re-thinking it. I've got a lovely Blue Angel that I love... I think I'll just divide her instead, and put her where I wanted to put the Empress Wu.

Thumbnail by speediebean
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love my 'Empress Wu'. And 'Sum and Substance'. I'd like to have 'Bressingham Blue'. :)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I love the giants too. I have Empress Wu, Sum and Substance, Blue Angel, Earth Angel and another big blue whose name escapes me, but it's not Bressingham Blue. :) That's all the giants I have room for unless I make my shade bed larger. lol

Wyoming, MN

The Empress will command your attention , once she reaches her stride. With size she really is impressive.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree.

Just doing a bit more reading about Empress Wu - she takes about 5 years in the ground to fully reach her mature size. I am guessing that, given a bit more time Gardenlady, you will probably be very happy with her.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I do have bressingham blue and love it. I also have sum and substance, earth angel and my absolute favorite giants are my blue mammoth. I am in love with my great expectations and komono dragon are beautiful this year. Oh I am keeping the empress wu. She is not going anywhere. A couple of the leaves are so huge. Just the second year for me. Like you all are saying it will grow on me I am sure. Thanks. Happy gardening.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have had my empress wu for either 4 or 5 years. I moved her last year. Here's a picture taken about a month ago with my husband in it to give an idea how big it is. This year I have moved 3 hostas out of the way. I didn't think it could get any bigger but it does. Sorry, no scapes because I cut them off to try not to attract deer. They seem to love the scapes way more than the plants.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oops. Here's the picture. Empress Wu. June 2014.

Thumbnail by beaux
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

She's a biggie! I have to move an astilbe now....and perhaps a second astilbe by fall.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Your hosta is a real beauty, beaux. She has grown by leaps and bounds in 5 years. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I guess I will have to move several plants when it gets that big!!! Wow. Maybe even think about moving the empress herself. Yes, dethrone her! Lol.

LOL, noooo, you can't dethrone the Empress! ;) WOW Beaux your Empress Wu sure is a beauty!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Beaux, very pretty. Hopefully mine will be some day....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.