My New Strategy for Protecting My Aquatic Plants

Columbus, OH

You guys, this week has been pretty exhausting for me. My koi went into SUPER MANIC SPAWNING MODE™ and were completely trashing my pond like never before. I mean we are talking - ramming plants repeatedly until rhizomes were actually breaking off and just mauling the heck out of the lily pads until they were in tatters. I had to do something asap before all my plants were ruined. After some trial and error, this is what I came up with:

A floating ring for my water hyacinth. And for the lilies - I made some closed baskets with an outer ring for water hyacinth that I anchored to the bottom of the pond.

I cannot express how great these are working out for me. The koi totally ignore them, treating the stiff net like just a wall of the pond.
If you're interested in making your own, check out my tutorial - http://gildedorchid.com/water-garden...oating-basket/

Thumbnail by Corsetiere Thumbnail by Corsetiere
Athens, PA

Neat ideas.

I only had that problem once and the waterlilies came back. Now, it seems the koi use the water celery that has taken over my bogs to spawn into.

Great ideas - ^_^

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Couldn't get link to work just said not available.

Main question is what are rings made of. I had a floating island made from 4 water plant baskets wired tog. and wired to PVC floating frame which 4 or 5 koi decided to jump into and sunk it. I had beautiful Swedish ivy growing all along one side that hung a little into pond and in 2 days they ate it all. I sewed screening to a hula hoop and let screen hang down some enough to put plants into it. They swam into that and couldn't get out. These fish are over 2 feet and pretty heavy. I believe their vegetarians but do eat their fish food and cheerios for desert. Maybe your rings would discourage them but if they jumped in it would be ok as long as they could jump or swim out. I'm very curious and desperate cause I hate a pond without any plants in it. I had some elephant ear in a large pot but the leaves that fell over and into pond were shredded in no time. Only thing I have they can't get to are the upright umbrella plants.
Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Bonnie

Columbus, OH

Looks like DG tries to obscure links, which is kind of inconvenient if one is trying to share information. Try gildedorchid (dot) com

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Found it and that is a very practical idea. I have a waterfall and fountain in my larger pond and a waterfall in older smaller pond so I'm sure slowing down the water movement would help water lily's grow which I have always wanted to grow. Large pond is all in shade but older one has a good bit of sun at noon and from their on.

When I had a load of hyacinths in larger pond black roots broke loose and clogged my pump after going down into skimmer. Boy did I have a mess to clean so I took them all out. With this construction if the fish decide to jump into it I could always put a top on it to cover the plants.

Considering I have been a drapery workroom for 32 years your sewing terminology was really familiar to me. Thanks so much for taking the time to share you invention.
Bonnie

Columbus, OH

Thanks! The new baskets are working our great for me so far. It only took me 3 years to figure out something to protect the lilies! lol!

Wow! I have heard the hyacinths are crazy aggressive and invasive!

The koi have seemed uninterested in jumping into the new baskets. (fingers crossed!) They have been treating them as a totally unbreachable boundary. :)

Good luck with your pond!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Isn't it heck to be outsmarted by a supposedly dumb fish. LOL

When I get to town again will get some supplies to make a smaller one and try it out.

Bonnie

Columbus, OH

Man, they are relentless! lol!

Athens, PA

Quote from BonnieGardens :
Isn't it heck to be outsmarted by a supposedly dumb fish. LOL

So much for the fish being dumb.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.