My sunniest hosta bed

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I call this hosta point (so original). It was the third bed I devoted almost entirely to hostas. The back gets some shade from the ferns and azalea in the other bed, the huge oak trees above, and the dogwood on the right side. The front gets a lot of sun because the oak canopy opens there. This pic was taken May 26. Old pics and comments can be found in my diary on DG, but it's a couple plant changes behind. http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Eleven/14022/

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Here are the hostas at the point in the most sun.

Center:The Razor's Edge
Left: Rainforest Sunrise
Right: Maui Buttercups

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Here are the plants in the second row.

Left: Grand Prize
Center: Paradigm
Right: Pineapple Poll
Right: Maui Citrus

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Here's the big guy in the middle and his new partner.

Left: Journey's End
Right: Atlantis

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Here are two smaller (for now) hosta that I fit in behind the big guys.

Left: Ivory Coast
Right: Majesty

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

And here are the ones in back. I'm might replace Grand Canyon with Liberty this summer, as it doesn't seem happy in this spot. For now, I'm going to remove the ferns and trim back the azalea; maybe GC just wants more sun.

Far Left: Hyacinthina
Second from left: Krossa Regal
Middle: Grand Canyon
Right: Komodo Dragon

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Charlotte, VT

Wow, you have some lovely hostas. Let's hope they'll get people inspired to join the hosta swap in hopes of being a swap partner of yours!! Again your hard work looks wonderful. It doesn't look like you label each plant. Do you make a map of your hosta beds?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Helen! Yeah, I'm kind of obsessive about making maps and lists in Excel, taking and labeling lots of pictures, and tracking updates in my DG journal.

I'm actually in the process of adding permanent markers to most of my hostas. I've been cutting aluminum flashing strips the last couple nights. Next I will shape them, and then use paint pens to add the names. If you look at the pic of Paradigm, you can see a test marker at the bottom. It has green paint, but I will use black.

Hillsborough, NC

Your hosta garden is beautiful! They look healthy and happy in the area you chose.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

They are looking good, Eleven. I need to take another round of pics of mine, but it's been too sunny the last few days. And last time around, not all were unfurled even though it's been only about 10 days.

I'd like to hear how the paint pens work as markers. And can you remove the paint later if you get rid of the plant and want to reuse the tag?

North Olmsted, OH

Very lovely bed. Your selection of plants is exceptional. I purchased Rainforest Sunrise in the summer of 2012 but it's slow growing compared to the rest of mine. I will have to take some pictures and post. We've been busy spraying our yard since the deer have been smacking their lips whenever they see our hostas and daylilies!

Louisville, KY

i just got buttercups last summer and love it. It's already doubled in size and stands out even in a bed of many other varigated and gold hostas.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Hello,
Right now I have about 20 hostas but I do have some that are the same. I am always adding new when I can get them. Yours are beautiful. Kathy

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the comments. The garden is always a work in process :) I'm actually trying to focus this year more on what I already have for the garden than buying lots new. I like the results so far!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.