Transplanting chameacyparis

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

I have a King's Gold (mophead) that has, in six-years' time, completely outgrown the expected "mature" size. I refuse to forever prune it so must decide whether to attempt a transplant now, while it may still be an option. The shrub is just over 5' tall and 6' wide at the base. There wasn't a whole lot of info out there when I first purchased the shrub, but one site now states that it can get 10-20' tall and 8-10' wide - eek! I would rather risk a transplant failure than to ultimately have to take it out. Any experience/suggestions on transplanting this type of shrub would be appreciated.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't see any reason you can't try to transplant it now.
Just get as much of the root ball as possible.
Replacements are readily available in case doesn't work out.
I have a couple in different settings - I don't recall cultivar names.
But the chartreuse colored one just glows in the sun, while the more yellow one burns.
One of mine is also getting too big; I'm not going to bother transplanting -
too much work !! I'll just replace it...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Weerobin :
One of mine is also getting too big; I'm not going to bother transplanting -
too much work !! I'll just replace it...

LOL! You know you're getting old when...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

So true...

True, replacements are available; and I wholeheartedly agree, it's a lot of work! Thank you for the feedback, Weerobin.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

And also remember to transplant the A before the E . . . ;-))

Resin

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Charming, Resin.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hahaha Pseudo, I'm officially old, I took out my too big gold Chamaecyparis last fall and made a nice new planting of all the little new cute things that had been accumulating.

plantmover- The root ball was not so terribly big, so I think maybe you're OK,

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, that is a nice-sized King's Gold. I've moved a lot of woody plants over the years, as I'm sure most of you have. If you do it at the optimal time, it's generally not that big of an issue. I say optimal, shmoptimal! I like to do it in the middle of summer when the heat and humidity is enough to wilt a Palmetto. You've got to be dedicated! Treat it as if you were house training a puppy. Actually, I agree with Wee. We've been through these battles and have a bit different perspective.

That's right Pseudo- if that shrub wants to live thru being moved, let it REALLY prove it! None of this right time stuff....

Thanks to all for the advice and comments. Moved it this morning, and it really wasn't as big a job as I had anticipated. In fact, I was surprised at how relatively small the root structure was.

kinda gives you new respect/fear about periods of drought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.