Hotounniya - Invasive or Not?

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Over 10 years ago, a my former next door neighbor in Kentucky gave me nine plants from her hotounniya. It has taken this long to get to a beautiful, thriving bed. It is spreading, but with a little thinning out every year has turned into a lush and beautiful area which changes colors throughout the seasons.

I do plan to clear it out of the arbor this summer and move it to the right (not in photo) where it is much thinner.

On the DG plant files, it has mixed reviews. For now I'll keep it - and enjoy it's beauty. If it becomes a problem I suppose there's always Roundup.

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

What a lovely garden and you seem to be able to keep the Houtonia in check.

It might just be cool enough where you are to keep it under control. I had a terrible time with it in the SC midands, it even went under my house and came up on the other side. That is a determined plant.

p.s., I know I didn't spell the name correctly, just too lazy to look it up. :-(

This message was edited May 30, 2014 4:16 PM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I bought it at the last house after reading about all its "charm" in magazines. Then it turned into a thug - could never really get rid of it despite digging it, spraying it, hoeing, etc. The best advice is to keep it contained.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Good advice - I'm keeping it for now, and hopefully keeping it in check.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.