Dawn Sequoia stagnant growth

Laingsburg, MI

Last year this little beauty thrived in a large pot facing west. I replanted it a month ago with the same exposure in a clay soil amended with potash, compost, and clay mixed together. We've had plenty of rain. I even top dressed with partially decayed compost. The needle tips are brown and are short. Is the soil mix the problem?

Laingsburg, MI

Dawn Sequoia

Thumbnail by HopeSue Thumbnail by HopeSue
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It doesn't look like it has leafed out properly. Did you get hammered with a hard freeze or two when it was leafing out? Also, how much sun does it get? It looks a little crowded there.

Laingsburg, MI

Hmm. There's probably eight feet of room around the Sequoia. I can cut back into the brush to create more space. I think we were treated to a couple of light frosts. I have another Sequoia, the same size, and it has fully leafed out. Here's another photo looking in.

Thumbnail by HopeSue
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

The brush isn't a problem as long as it isn't tall. These trees don't compete well with others. I'm not sure that's your problem because I would need a better picture of the surrounding area. It should be fully leafed out by now and since it's not you might give it some more time but may ultimately end up replacing it.

Laingsburg, MI

The brush surrounding it is at least eight feet tall. I can check the Ph, make sure it isn't wacko. Thank you for your help!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah well good luck with it. If it doesn't work out, I'd just get a few seedlings from Arborday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.