Weather Watching Summer

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

After yesterday I thought it was time for a new weather watching thread! (Last one is from Feb.) Between the 90 degree frying heat and the plant flattening hard rain and wind, my garden looks pretty shabby this morning! Hope others fared better than I did!

PS the attached photo is not my yard but how the heat and torrential downpours make me feel-- like I'm living in the Mekong Delta! :-)

This message was edited May 29, 2014 1:05 PM

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm very thankful for the stormy rain we had last night because, quite frankly, my Coreopsis is thankful for the drink! (no pics to share at the moment, sorry).

... now, where's that lazy bum Jeff?? < =P heeheeheee

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...after I posted that I thought I could have looked for it myself.

Overcast and gloomy here..

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My garden needed the rain too and the break from suddenly summer

From what I've seen of the weather forecast, tomorrow is supposed to be like suddenly-spring again. Sheeesh! Not complaining, I'll take it! =)

My plants are also grateful for the drink-- hope there's cooler weather in store as well

as long as Saturday is not raining all day....knock on wood

more gentle rain tonight. Weather is cooperating for digging and holding the plants!

Not sure about up y'all's way, but we had a lovely thundery rain last evening/night, and the rain (not sure about "storminess") is supposed to pick up again later this morning, to last steadily the day through. Wonder what sorts of trouble we'll be able to get into at work, since surely we'll have fewer customers... right!? < =D

It rained here, too, Speedie! Very nice for the plants. Hope the weather is nice tomorrow as I have some potting to do! :-o Saturday looks like it will be nice for the swap.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

While I was away and getting soaked elsewhere late Tuesday afternoon, our rain gauge in Lucketts, VA showed 1.25", and it was just a half hour event. We seem to be having weekly torrential rainfalls lately. A couple of weeks ago we had nearly 5 inches come down overnight, mostly in a couple of hours. About half that amount in an event last week.

I've been noticing that also Greenthumb! Reminds me of when I lived in Louisiana. Super hot muggy weather broken by a torrential downpour and thunderstorm. Slightly cooler temps following the storm then heating up again... is this what's in our future with climate change? :-(

My irises were totally fried by this latest blast of 90 degree heat.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I remember a number of years ago that in a discussion of some of the weather patterns we should expect as a manifestation of global warming was that we would have more frequent torrential rains.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Burr...cold out here today. Yesterday one the way home from York to Lancaster the temps dropped 21 degrees!

50s all day today, rain? Classic Memorial Day weather. haha a

how is it, when it gets chilly, cats seem to sit in your lap "harder"? I swear he gains a couple pounds when it's cold...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...at least you have a nice furry friend to warm your lap on a day like today

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Josh and I went to harvest the bamboo this morning in a heavy mist. We cleaned it in a lite rain. I think Ric loaded it in a heavy rain. I just got home from dropping Josh off and first thing I did was get out of the wet clothes and into something warm and dry.

A good day for hot cocoa! :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's been raining here off and on again all day, temps have risen slightly, but still chilly. Downright cold if you're damp.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looking good outside today. Should be nice for final prep for the swap.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I'm glad it stopped being lame outside. I thought I was going to start growing mold.

Here it is cloudy, chilly, and very wet from yesterday. Hopefully we'll see some sun this afternoon. I have potting to do!! :-)

Lame =. New weather term! Still pretty lame here, like what Catmint has.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...well it was sunny and has now turned back to lame :)

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Yeah for real. I have stuff I still need to dig for the swap but can't do it if the weather doesn't cooperate!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice and sunny, not too hot for loading up.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bamboo in the rain! Double thanks for the bounty you shared with me Holly & Ric!

We didn't get any rain yesterday, so I'm hauling the hose around... gotta get the irrigation set up before the real heat starts. :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Seriously, I heard we're supposed to get some rain tonight though...fingers crossed! I really don't want to have to start watering stuff.

Heard we're supposed to get rain here tonight as well Seq, and I hope it's true. .. actually, was hoping it would rain on me TODAY while I was outside sweating, but no such luck. ;) (raked last Fall's leaves [GASP!!], power washed the deck and trash cans... and a few other random things); was praying for clouds and rain! =) I heard my Coreopsis "Psssst"'ing at me as I walked by... "Pssssst, hey lady! I sure could use a drink here!". ;)

Speedie, you are amazing for being out in this heat and humidity working hard in the yard! I tried to go out but it was just too hot and muggy. It feels more like August than early June! Sure hope we get a good long rain tonight.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quite the storm ran thru here last night good soaking for the plants I planted yesterday and help for the weeding I did this morning. Going to get another one tonight.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cat---

Some of us have NO choice!
was out in the heat and humidity all day today at work--watering whatever I could
in the time I had...we are the WATERERS!!! SO assigned....
I will be doing the same tomorrow--9--2:30 PM.

I KNOW what needs watering and what does not....Some things can slide a day or two.
BUT--we re EXPECTED TO WATER everything!!! EVERY DAY! HUH!!!!!!!!

I cannot deal with this stupidity and ignorance on the "higher-ups" to expect this.

As gardeners--WE know that overwatering kills more plants than underwatering.

I KNOW which do not need to be wtered --but the other assigned "waterers" do not.

There are TWO of us that know the difference....the rest don't even know
HOW to water properly...They wave the wand over the tables and think that is IT!

SO--I try do what I can to do it right---but ONLY when i am there....

G.

Gita, isn't that frustrating as all get-out!?!? Only us "girls" at work are adept at the watering chore, we know WHAT will need it, WHY, when, etc... but the watering typically goes to "the boys", who not only don't know so much, but DON'T CARE to hold still long enough to listen and pay attention to what we try to tell them.. they just quickly "uh huh" and "alright" and try to run away while I"m still in the middle of talking!! Grrrr, drives me up a wall!! I'd MUCH rather be out there my own darned self, from 7:00AM to 4:00PM non-stop if I have to, just to see that it's done right... but I'm needed inside.. **sigh**.

I drank TONS of water and tea yesterday (non-sweetened lemon-tea), and ate one peanut butter sandwich, so I was ok. I had my iPod plugged into my head, tunes jammin', and I was a happy camper! < =D

wow, hats off to you both for being out there in the heat all day taking care of the plants!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ahem, boys can water correctly, IF they care to. Proper watering requires less work, because it reduces the need for constantly pssing on things which leads to soil salinization and poor root development. When watering in the GH, I determine the need by weight more than waiting for signs of stress.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well we only got 0.21 inches at our house, hardly close to the 1/2" we were supposed to get. Oh well, I'll take it.

Oh and I'm a 'boy' but I know how to water ;P

Ric, ahem, you're no ordinary boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed, when you know your potting mix, the weight of the pot tells you a lot.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe. I can see you Ric with hands on hips and a tag of your head and trying to sound all gruff. Of course they didn't mean YOU. Hahahahahahaha. Just those OTHER men, not in DG. We know the DG men are top-notch. Hehehehehe. Still chuckling.

Jeff too! Not ordinary! DG 'boys' are Darn Great!
I think three of us crossposted.

Heard a lot of rain, I think we did get near the half inch. Great post swap weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.