Japenese maples...dead?

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a threadleaf Japanese maple that was planted 10 years ago along a backyard pond. Another Japanese maple (regular, larger leaf) was planted 3 years ago. Both were healthy and beautiful last year. After this past winter, they now both look dead. No leaves. No buds. Is there still hope for either one? If so, what should I do to resurrect them? I'm in zone 6 in Ohio. Thanks for any advice.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry, but I think by now they should at least be showing signs of life.
I lost a couple established JM's also.
One is trying to regenerate leaves from the stem,
but I'm not sure it will be successful.
I don't think there's anything you can do other than replace them.
You might give them another couple weeks to be sure, but doesn't sound promising.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

If those of you in z6 are losing Japanese Maples to a harsh winter, what are the odds I can find success? A snowball's chance in hell comes to mind. My A. p. 'Viridis' hasn't leafed out other than one branch at the bottom, which would've been completely covered in snow. It looks like my experiment with Japanese Maples is coming to an end...or is it? There are now a few Japanese x Korean hybrids on the market that are calling my name. The two I'm aware of are 'Northern Glow' and 'North Wind', and it's pretty obvious they're marketing these to us deprived northerners.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

By Korean, you mean a. sieboldianum? I have one which is as nice as any JM.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Sigh, I remember the lure of the forbidden. I tried some "special" camellias that were supposed to be hardy for me. Twice (slow learner).

I very much hope you can swing those Japanese Maples!!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Weerobin :
By Korean, you mean a. sieboldianum? I have one which is as nice as any JM.

I'm thinking A. sieboldianum, but in a pseudo-sort of way. Actually, this is what I was thinking:

http://bickelhaupt.org/index.php/plant-of-the-month/140-pom4-2014

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

I think I knew that the large-leaf JM was a goner, but the thread-leaf was in a protected area. I thought it would come back after 10 years of healthy, beautiful growth. Maybe I can spray paint it bright red and use it as garden art. Thank you for your responses.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

check the trunks on the jm's to see if they have split - it could be the cause of death. I have a couple that did not make it as well - 2 out of 150 is not bad.

Pseudo jm's are great container trees - just bring them into a garage to over winter - I have a dozen or more that move indoors after t-day.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Yes, I've thought about having a couple of choice JM's in containers, but I'm currently nursing a very sore hip and the thought of moving these around has given me pause. How big are yours and how do you move them around? I'm of course referring to JM's...

Ok, the coffee just came out of my nose!! Personally, mine are pretty big and a pain to move around...heehee.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

OK, here we go: Everything seems to be bigger in the Pacific NW. Why is that?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i use a nursery hand truck

Hand trucks are GREAT and a back saver! You don't even have to pick up the root ball, just slide it over the base of the hand truck.

I can't figure out why things grow so big here: 1. It rains for 8 months in a row and a lot of the nutrients are washed out of the soil, 2. It rains for 8 months in a row (sigh) and the roots of the plants stay soggy the entire time, 3. It rains for 8 months in a row (SIGH) and the plants don't get any sunlight until, say, June or July. Despite all that, whatever the height/width are described to be on a plant's label, I pretty much multiply by at least 1.5 when deciding where to place it. I can't tell you how many times I've had to move plants around when they grow beyond their expected limits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.