Neat idea above ground away from some of the critters

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I had this in my photos on IPAD - I recall it was on a Facebook feed but not sure from where.
I hope it is ok to post. It is not my photo
If it is not OK - I hope administrators will take it off. But, I think it is so neat and easy - making it today!

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Growing plants, even vegetables, on steps like that is a great way to save space and work a lot of plants into a small area. There are several growers that have been on Dave's Garden in past years that have done something similar. One use closet-lining boards to make troughs for planting. Someone else used rain gutters to make planters. The planters or troughs can also be hung on a sunny wall, or along a fence-- especially chain link, to make best use of vertical space. You plant anything that stays small, leafy vegetables or things like bush green beans!

David

Thanks. I got bush tomatoes but I have never heard of bush green beans. I will look for it. interested to see if deer will browse. Going to place it right up against house. String some wire up the back for a vine or two. Alas no fences or walls in enough sun for veggie or herb wall pockets. Didn't think of gutters. Good idea. Thanks

Done.
Used deeper pots so lost the nice spacing - but needed deeper. Added TREX feet for rot protection and wire for vines that will grow in pot below

This message was edited May 26, 2014 10:55 AM

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Excellent job and very well executed!

Thank you Pirl. It was so quick too...took longer to buy the stuff and get thru the memorial weekend mobs at home depot! Those big flower boxes were the most $$. I am really hoping I can keep the critters at bay.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I really do wish you luck. It's a battle we all face and it isn't easy.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks really good!

Thanks!

Today's addition.
Fence opens right up daytime

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Very well done!

Thanks. I am happy with it too and love the ease of removing the wire fencing. Sure hope all the precautions work keeping most critters out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.