Wild Woodland Walk

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I have no idea what this stuff is, but the shear numbers made it impressive.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Anyone care to take a stab at this?

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I may have ruined a good pair of shoes, but it was worth it.

Thumbnail by Pseudo
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Is it a tree-like shrub or a shrub-like tree?

Thumbnail by Pseudo
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

And a few old hemlocks to close with.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

So that's the Great Gray North...

Is the first patch (at least third image) one of the Solomon's-Seal (Polygonatum sp.)?

Don't know the second (yellow) one.

Fourth reminds me of Spicebush (Lindera benzoin), but up by you that could be Dirca palustris.

Handsome old hemlocks...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

That last picture of the first set shows two kinds of plants,
the green ones all over the place, and a couple interesting purple shoots
which look like they're going to explode into some big frilly foliaged thing.
No clue what it is. Looks kind of like my rodgersias coming up,
but I'm sure that's not what they are.
I think the yellow one might be caltha palustris.
And just a little more detail on the shrubby plant would help!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow...no leaves yet Pseudo????? Great Gray North indeed. Looks like a fantastic walk to take though.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

The first and second image look like wild leek (Allium tricoccum). The third looks like a Fringe-leaf Bleeding Heart (Dicentra cucullaria or Dicentra canadensis). And a stab at the second set looks like Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

These pics were taken in the far northern part of the state and they're roughly 7-10 days behind us here in the banana belt of Wisconsin. Temps are consistently in the 70's now, so things are starting to pop. We're currently in a gorgeous stretch of weather.

Mipii, I think you're spot on with your pics. My spouse informed me that the 2nd post is definitely Marsh Marigold. VV nailed the tree-like shrub as Dirca palustris. You keep this up and you could become honorary cheeseheads.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

OK, please forgive me; this has nothing to do with trees, shrubs, or conifers. I am a lurker who faithfully reads the forum, but alas I have nothing to contribute since you all are so amazing. Anyway, here's my walk in the woods picture from yesterday.

Thumbnail by momlady

Looks like a worthwhile contribution to me Mom...has a lot to do with trees...

and a wee bear asking to be chased, lol!

Honorary Cheeseheads VV, what an honor! Those good shoes were so worth it...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Great picture, Momlady, and thanks for sharing. That path is so inviting I don't know how anyone could resist taking a walk down it. :)

My little dog loves our daily walk through the woods. We've done it so many times all I have to say is, "walk in the woods" and she gets all excited. I try to keep a path open in winter using snow shoes, but couldn't seem to keep up with the snow this past winter.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

The secret is out-'Momlady' is my sister. We went for another walk in her woods this weekend. She (Mombear) has the 'wee bear', plus a 'panda bear', a 'polar bear', and a 'tiger bear'. The 'hubby bear' hibernated that afternoon. But usually the whole menagerie goes together. It is hard to get a photo of the entire group, because some bear is running ahead or is off-trail. ALL the bears love the walks, and they all stay together.
Also, I had just spent $14 on a Mountain ash (Sorbus aucuparia) sapling, and then noticed oodles of them sprouting in her woods. I think I will have a grove now.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Is the "tiger bear" a great big gray cat? That's awesome!

I think a thread devoted to just that one is in order, and not just of its rear end...

I agree with VV about having its own thread. That is so cool the whole menagerie walks the path together (especially special are the cats). We all knew dogs love walks. Great photo's MLM, thanks for taking us along.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's pretty sweet that your cats go on walks with you like that :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.