burrowing owl nests in my backyard bird house

Port Saint Lucie, FL

I'm thinking this will be the first time a member has posted something like this- a burrowing owl found its way into a bird house that I had built with hopes that cardinals would use it as a nesting site but that was not to be. Back in Feb. an owl made its way into the entrance hole despite the rather narrow entrance. Apparently these owls are used to squeezing into narrow spaces. I first noticed its presence when I heard an odd sound one night and upon further investigation found the female owl inside. Not long afterwards I noticed that it had laid an egg or two. Luckily I designed the bird house so that the top could be partially lifted up to allow me to see the inside. That and the fact that it was hanging in a large tree only about 8 feet off the ground made it simple to see what was happening inside. The mother spent most of her time sitting on the eggs and soon I began to wonder if I might help to feed it while it was waiting for the eggs to hatch. It finally hit me one day while shopping in Walmart- cat food! Yes, it comes in many varieties and I found a couple of them that seemed likely to appeal to the owl. And soon I was spoon feeding it on a regular schedule. Then I decided to offer something else- peanut butter. And that was a hit. The owl gobbled it up as if it were the best thing since Big Macs were invented. LOL
I continued monitoring the situation and soon discovered that the male counterpart was not an absentee parent but rather a night prowler by habit. I learned this the hard way- it glazed my head one night when I moved too close to the bird house. It happened a few more times and once it came directly towards my head like a Kamakazi pilot intent on taking a few strands of hair off my head. I learned to stay away at night.
I have documented all of this with photos and would enjoy posting some for others to see

(Zone 5a)

I would like to see these pictures. Burrowing Owls in a nesting box would be something. And hand feeding an adult owl! You have had quite an experience.

Cardinals are not cavity nesters, but I've heard they may use platforms if put in the right place. What that right place is, I do not know. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.