Horseradish

Swansea, SC(Zone 8b)

Hello All,
Does anyone grow horseradish? I bought an organic horseradish at Whole Foods, and would like to know how I can root it to put out in the vegetable garden to grow. Any information about propogating and growing horseradish will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Horse radish is a perennial that spreads. Prepare a long term location for it. I have NOT used fresh horse radish myself but I understand that most people who make their own sauce do it outside in an old blender.

Yes, you should be able to grow it from a root cutting. I would use the best one of the bunch you bought. If you have one with some leaves still attached it will help with depth & orientation of planting.

This message was edited May 27, 2014 11:42 AM

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Grow it in a bucket or can on concrete. Then you can contain the spread. It gets large so can be used in the center if you want to add other plants.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Horse radish will grow from pieces of root, the whole root or the crown with a small piece of root attached. It is a hardy perennial and easy to grow. And as said above it will spread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.