Poppy Bloom 2014

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Woke up to this:

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice Mike, I got yesterday to blooms on a Calif. Poppie. I know it hitched a ride here because I have never planted them here. But sure does look nice hope it drops a lot of seeds.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

James they usually do. We had some heavy rain last evening. I saw more blooms this morning when I peeped out there. LOL!!

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Mike, what is rain? Haven't seen any in my area in forever.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL on the rain. We got hail and drenched. Passed a few cars stuck in bumper high water last night. I am sure that there was a lot of flooded basements.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope all is well at your place.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am still waiting for mine to bloom , the we shall see factor?
Plants look okay ,,
Mike , Thanks for the encouragement !!! Your not all that far away ... nice poppy ,!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Juhur. Good to see you!!
James, all is well here.

This message was edited May 22, 2014 4:20 AM

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Here is what I call a black poppy, actually just a really dark purple in front of Eryngium Blue Sapphire

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary that's a nice color combination. I have been very busy. I have a lot of pics to share when I catch up with my "honey do" list. LOL!!
Turkenlouis - very hard to capture the color on this one.
Blooms from both plants.
Shasta
Jacinth
Royal Wedding

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Princess Victoria Louis
Prince Of Orange
Heartbeat
Annual
Coral Reef

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 9:51 AM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

I really like the lavender ones. Princess Victoria Louise gets so dirty; the black stamens mess up the pink petals. And when the flowers are done the orientals are not very attractive. Need to hide the plant part behind something else.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary I cut them back because they go dormant till the fall.

Oh. I thought you had to live the leaves like you do for tulips & lilies to feed the roots

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary, I leave them for a little while and then I cut them back. I do this faster if they are in the way of something else.

Okay. Mine seem to then send up new shoots later on in the summer or toward fall.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone here grow the blue poppies? (Meconopsis sp.)

Yup. I have some

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I have tried the seeds from One Stop Poppy without success. I have not given up hope. LOL!
Mike

It is pretty warm where you live for the blue poppies. If you have a shady cool, maybe edge of forest type of place you might get some. I sent several clumps out a few years ago (don't think I sent any to you) but I don't know how they fared.

I am hoping to find a cool-summer place where I can grow them.... (but not zone 5).

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary, I clearly remember you offering some awhile back. I was not on the list.

Oh there was never a list. And if you would like a clump I have one that I would be glad to dig and send. Let me know by email.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Came home to a lovely surprise yesterday. Mary, I want to thank you for being soooo generous.
Have to find the right location for these beauties.

I am most happy to share and eager to see if they can be grown down there. As long as the planting spot is cool, slightly moist (so they don't rot), and mostly shady (in deference to your much hotter sun and ambient temp) I am hopeful they will do well.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Mary, I didn't get a chance to plant them yesterday. I will do it today. I have a good spot between some Lilac and the gazebo. I am going to amend the soil first. I will keep you posted.
Mike

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary, my poppies from you are doing fine. I planted them in two separate location just in case. LOL! You can't be too careful nowadays!!! LOL!!

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Ohhhhh. Look at the little babies. I so hope they continue to do well. That is great! You are a good gardener. :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary, I like your sense of humor!!! :"Good Gardener". LOL!!
Thank you for your generosity!!!
Mike

Okay. Okay. So you were "d---- with faint praise" :)

Ooh, how exciting! I will have to wait until we move to Oregon or Washington, before even attempting them.

We are not only in the 4th year of drought, but it has even been much warmer. My "Woodland Garden" is barely hanging on by a thread.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary, LOL!!!
Evelyn, there's always next year in the gardeners world. LOL!

Yes, and MAY be...a new place in which to garden...praying...

I ordered some rare gladiolus bulbs from Telos Rare Bulbs in California. Ferndale I believe. Didn't realize they are winter blooming from South Africa. Ooops. Am hoping that I can pot them up and get them to bloom indoors. Have written for instructions. A very interesting internet site and a wonderful blog at www.telosrarebulbs.com.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Very interesting!! Mary good luck with those glads.

Yes, reminiscent of growing blue poppies in Illinois. She has already responded. I am to pot them up in potting mix 50/50 with horticultural pumice. A new experiment!!

Norfolk, VA

Shirley and oriental poppies

Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan

My African glads have sent up tall shoots. Water once a month and have 16 hours of two gro lights on them. should be interesting to see if they bloom. I think they are to bloom in Feb/Mar??

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

MGMAN, are those blooming right now?
Mary, are those glads tender?

I suspect so. They come from South Africa so among other things their summer is my winter. It was just a confusion on my part at first, then when I realized what I had ordered I figured it was worth a try. I am sending the vendor in California pictures of what they look like now (about 1' tall some of them and needle thin, well, maybe #1 knitting needle). Also to see what to expect from here on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.