First (and only) bloom

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

This Aporophyllum is rather stingy this year. Here is the only blossom. Also mine has a top section of 3 feet plus 4 finger like projections up to 10 inches long. The bottom of the hanging section has 4 finger projections also. Maybe this is not an Aporophyllum? It was given to me and the donor did not know what it was. I will show the top and fingers on the next section. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is the top. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I took the flower and held it high near the hummingbird feeder and knew that a hummer would show up shortly. About 15 seconds later a hummer started flying around me, stopping and hovering and inspecting the flower and me, but wouldn't get close to the flower. Then he landed on an olive tree branch near my head and just watched. Finally my arm got tired and I lowered the flower branch onto the top of a patio chair and made the flower face up, so it would be accessible to the hummers if they so choose. Fun experience. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Mesilla Park, NM

What a cool picture on that second one. I also love this shocking colors on the flowers, did the hummer come back?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

No, not to the flower. but they hang around the feeder so I see them alot. xuling

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous !!! Gorgeous !!!! Bloom. I love it!!!!! Here is Aporophyllum "Oakleigh Conquest". It has growth similar to yours. You may want to ease yours out into more sun to promote more flowers next year. Mine are in full sun until about 11 a.m. In July and August I may give them more shade, but right now they are loving it.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.