What Ya' Got Cookin' 2014 Part3

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Share here! We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1350887/#new

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

In New Orleans at a restaurant called Mother’s Restaurant on Poydras Street’s as seen in NCIS a couple of weeks ago. They serve Po' Boys with debris, debris is what falls/drips off the roast beef while they bake it to perfection, and it is to die for. The bread they bake in NOLA is so soft an airy, they claim it is because they are below sea level, whatever the case it makes a Po' Boy like you never tasted, made with roasted beef, baked smoked ham, and debris, it will leave you speechless...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

have to tell my brother and sister, they are going in a couple weeks to NO. Us, well, we decided to stay home and pay the bills we already have LOL
We had breakfast in Mother's many years ago.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yup, I remember eating there as well!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd like to go back just for the food, then walk it off in the garden district. :-} and the French Quarter, and downtown after dark, and on the river walk,..... Did I mention I enjoyed our visit and the out of this world fishing, and the friendly people, and the food.....

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, everything sounds wonderful.

I love sour cream in mashed taters. I will have to try it in scrambled eggs.

Someone brought a cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory to the party we had for Jeff's Korean students. I tried really hard not to drool all over them as they came n the door. I debated about putting it out with the other desserts. hahahahaha, but I did however, when I sliced it I tried to make tiny slices. Looking forward to dessert tomorrow. Do you think Jeff will notice If that's all I put on my plate? No? Good.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Aaaah, thank you for the explanation of "debris" Ric. It sounds delectable!!! (your pork loin also looks very yummy, by the way) =)

No, Jan, no one will notice that ALL you're eating is cheesecake! < =D LOL!!!!!!! (they may notice if you drool all over them, however). ;)

Had big o' fat-butt cheese burgers last night. Was feeling 'different', so I put Swiss, ranch, lettuce, tomato, and avocado on mine. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, Enjoy the cheesecake then walk across the bridge and back, yeah right, Ha,Ha.

Considering what debris are, it's no wonder why I like to make gravy from them.

No idea what I'm making tonight???

haha Jan. hm, cheese, protein. Its a high protein meal!

Mm my chili last night was pretty darn good. Pound of bison (waited until is near dated so they slap $3 off of the 10$ package) and pound of hot italian sausage, crushed tomatoes, onions chili powder, bit of Penzey's Berbere for heat, few cans of beans including couple of Aldi's, 'Chili beans" in sauce. Nothing crazy but it tasted very good. Oh, some barley.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I KNEW I could count on all y'all's support.. Hehehehehe. Hmmm.....Jeff won't be here for dinner tonight. Do I dare???

That chili sounds deeelish, Sallyg

Yeah it sure does!! Some spicy jalepeño corn bread smothered in butter -- Mmmmmm!!

Jan, brownies or cheesecake for dinner? < =D

Making "Burro Grande" for dinner tonight, with Mexican rice on the side. The roast has been cooking in the slow cooker all day so it should be super soft. Will add chorizo, beans, and corn (and a couple cheeses of course), roll it all up into a long over-lapped layer of tortillas, cover it gently with Enchilada sauce and bake it. ... getting hungry just thinking about it. =)

And it'll ALL be topped with 42 tons of sour cream!!!! < =D Hahahahaaa!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Been in the garden most of the day, except for a nap, laid down trying to read and gave in.
I'm coping out tonight, chop salad, and chili dogs.

We had those recently.. for some reason, we always favor Hormel canned chilli for those... sans beans. :) Do you make your own chilli for those, Ric?

Gonna throw together a lasagna for dinner tonight, and then prep all the stuff for those Chicken Fajita roll-ups that I didn't make the other day. (the prep is quite time-consuming and I need a day-off for it, otherwise we'd be eating dinner at 10:30!)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Tried something a little different for breakfast this morning. I love grits, and a lot of times I have eggs and toast with them. In a constant effort to watch total carbs, I tried eliminating the toast, so I whipped an egg and drizzled it into the boiling water for the grits, like egg drop soup. I added the grits, salt, and fresh cracked pepper and finished cooking the grits. I like a pat of butter and some syrup (any, including King) on my grit so I added these and it was delicious and like half the carbs.
I've had cheesy grits before, which are good, so it seemed sort of natural to add something else.
I'm thinking meatloaf and mashed with steamed fresh aspergras for supper.

Ric, y'all grow your own asparagus? OK, please tell me all about it... I've heard it takes a couple years before you can get a crop you can eat.. and it prefers cool temps.. yes? I LOVE that stuff, and, along with a ton of other things, would love to try growing it myself.

Yum, I;m thinking- can I get to Dover PA in 90 min???
ROFL

Not without a helicopter or several speeding tickets! < =P

hahahaha

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Some kind of chicken this evening, not sure what, yet

Bought a pork loin to be divided in two, make one tonight with mashed potatos and yellow squash, if I get off my lazy patoot. Uh oh, two guys arriving home and I'm not cooking yet!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My old fashion meatloaf was considered a success. Holly shared whatever it was the kids shared with her, Typhoid Lily and Bubonic Lucas strike again.
Yes Speedie, we do grow our own aspergras. Funny story there. A friend gave us the crowns one year, and the next year or 3-4 years there after, we didn't turn a shovel in the veggie garden. It basically returned to meadow, to the point we had Indigo Buntings nesting there. When we got around to cleaning it up we found a beautiful aspergras patch and have tended it ever since. So the secret to good aspergras must be neglect. LOL The meadow left enough weed seeds I'm still battling them.
I feel too awful to cook tonight and have to be in DC for a wedding tomorrow.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Feel better, you two.

Sautéed onion, carrot, zucchini and added diced tomatoes and asparagus and then mixed in some wide noodles. Stirred in some Italian dressing. Jeff liked it.

Probably some meatloaf tomorrow

Goodness I'm late!! Thank you Ric, I think I can manage to neglect some plants ok! < =D LOL!! Are you feeling better now? (I hope!)

I have NO idea what's on the menu for tonight, should probably peek at it soon and do some prep. Last night was "winner winner chicken dinner"... tonight, I think I may want to be prepared to do something 'gentle'... I think the braces might be coming off today! < =D

best wishes, eat cheesecake for dinner!!

Good idea, okey dokey!! =)

OK, well, we didn't have cheesecake for dinner, we had chicken pot pie.. but we had a chocolate cream pie for dessert, does that count? < =D

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Absolutely!!!!!

Got a rotisserie chicken, some green beans and fried up a HUGE leftover potato.

Just had a brain storm!!!! Did you hear the explosion? Please share your favorite camping food, or quick, easy meals. I'm trying to think ahead for our trek and I have a few things frozen to bring along to make the prep easier. But, I'm limited on space. I know I'll be doing some shopping along the way, but, thought I'd just pick your brains. Share here or tell me on Saturday at aspenhill's. Thank you!!!!!

I believe that recipe Jan is called Chicken A La Sam's...or a la Food Lion, a la Weis, a laSafeway, a la Costgo...many regiona variatins but the all come out pretty similar and tasty LOL

yes speedie that counts yummmmm

Jan, you'd starve if I had to plan that. I guess one pot cooking would be big, Hamburge r helper type meals, without the HH box. I'd buy Italian sausage instead of plain ground beef if it has time to simmer/stew, tomatos, chopped onions and peppers are sold precut and frozen, pasta, there ya go. Got one anyway..the rest of the week would be hot dogs LOL.
- Boxed pasta salad beefed up with canned beans

I too always like easy prep ideas!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, yesterday, it was chicken a la Acme. Heehee

One pan cooking!!! Thanks, Sally. Pack of noodley stuff with its own sauce, add meat and a can of green beans was always a favorite with the boys. Jeff isn't too keen on hot dogs. Bummer! We have a small charcoal grill we're taking.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have sausage I need to cook , so sausage, taters, and chop salad tonight. I need to figure out a way to keep Holly out of the crasins I buy for chop salads. LOL I just love dried fruit and walnuts added to salads.

Hummm, maybe if I kept them in an empty grits container, she'd never go near them. She hardly eats grits when I do make them.

well, can't much mess with plants when everything is dripping wet and chilly too. So I'm warming up the kitchen making smashed potatos to go with pork from the slow cooker, green beans and aspergras (did I spell that right Ric??)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes you did Sally. It's ass per grass, minus 2s's
Probably leftovers tonight, unless Holly raids tomorrows.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

For you "newbies"--here is a Thread that has been around for almost ...forever...

Th amazing "Sopapilla Cheesecake"....How DELISH it is! HOW simple to make!
"Baja Blue" resurrected it--aka--bumped it up.

Here! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/721934/

Follow it backwards --if you have time....Make it tonight--and get all kinds of raves
about what a GREAT cook you are!!!

G.

I worked tonight and left a suggestion that it be Pizza night.

Got home to find it was Chicken a la Grocery Store night, with instant mashed potatos, green beans and BROWNIES BAKED. Holy @@@....they can be taught!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

They love you!

Sally, look at their Mom, of COURSE they can be taught... and they're loving and giving and sweet, too! (that fruit did NOT fall far from the tree!) < =D

We have spent the last WEEK with nothing but "don't have to chew it" foods due to a BAD infection under one of DH's molars. The pain was down enough last night to finally be able to eat "real" food -- Cajun cod, rice, and green beans. YIPPEEE!!

Gita, will follow up on that yummy-looking cheesecake thread when I get the time. BIG list of things to do today. =)

Mmm will have to try that cheesecake with a can of blueberry pie filling.
The savory variations are interesting too!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Good job Sally, Those little unexpected things are such a delight.
Gita, that does look easy, and the variations are endless.

I made meat loaf again, when I was at the store I found 2#s of the ground veal, pork,beef mix I like so much, at a great discount, I just could not help myself. I also had instant mashed taters, gravy and steamed aspergras. I made a sauce for the aspergras with a bar of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of grated whole lemon, and about 1/4 cup of sugar. It was sooo good.

A little tip Holly saw and I've been using, some of you may already do this. Keep lemons frozen and when you want to add some zing to something, grate whatever seems appropriate, zest and all. I can't tell they were frozen, it taste so fresh,

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

What a great idea, Ric. Never heard that one before.

Love meatloaf.

A from scratch pound cake is in the oven. Brownies came out earlier. Need to make cole slaw and cut up some fresh strawberries. Someone else is making pulled pork and Mac&cheese. Dinner at church this evening. Can't wait.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't even thought about dinner yet, it just might be rotisserie chicken and chopped salad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.