Blue Green Jade Vine

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

My jade vine is blooming for the second time--first time 75 blossoms (maybe a bit more) and second time just 25. Anyone have any experience with this lovely vine?
It's growing on a plumeria on the east side of the house but does get some hard afternoon sun--way up in the oak that it is growing into!
Debi

Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well it is a lovely one.. it seems real happy... by 25 blossoms ...do you mean 25 of the long hanging chains of flowers... did you plant it... how old is it... hpw long between the 75 and the flush of 25... there you tthought you might get answers and all you got was questions from folks knowing even less than you do..
So how do you like Marco Island... it was one of the places i was reviewing offered houses... seems like a lovely spot for growing things...
well thanks for the post... it's lovely...

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

So gorgeous Debijaynes! That is one of my favorites that I saw growing in Hawaii.

It is 4 years old and there was about 5 weeks between blooms. It's planted on a plumeria tree where I originally planted it-watered 2-3 times a week. Am afraid to fertilize it. Grows like Kudzu!

Marco Island is a great, quiet place to live. We are on a 1/2 acre lot, not on the water but on a hill-very rare for a barrier island, but there are lots of hills on the south end and even basements on this street.Property values are growing and there are lots of teardowns being replaced by HUGE homes. Some of the teardowns aren't 10 years old. Ego Ego Ego!

We like it-convenient to Naples, 50 minutes to airport and 1 hour 45 minutes to the Ft Lauderdale cruise port, a little longer to Miami.

And in the summer, pretty much always a breeze. I grew up in Baltimore and have worked in the Catskills for the past 8 or so summers--it's way way cooler here on the island.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is one of my favorites and one that I want so bad...but worried about how it would be able to handle the occasional cold snap we get up here in Tampa.

Coldest here was a very very brief time in the thirties several years ago. Of course I have been known to set off irrigation at odd hours and leave lights on for the orchids. Unable to light this vine !

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Lovely vine for only four years old...
MMMMMsounds lovely there... with a breeze .... I should get myself going before all the older places are gone...

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Does yours produce seeds? Maybe we can trade.

Gainesville, FL

I grew this for several years inside of a large greenhouse in North Central Florida. I lost it a few years ago when my greenhouse heater flamed out on the one night of the year that dropped to 20F. It took my vine 5 years to get from starter size to blooming size than it took off and engulfed everything in its path. I had to cut it back several times, always rooted the cuttings for trade (people say they are hard to root but they aren't). I have a new heater now and bought a new vine in June. Really looking forward to having this again. The photos below are of my old plant before it shuffled off this mortal coil (sniff sniff cry)

Thumbnail by gothqueen Thumbnail by gothqueen
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's beautiful. I hate it when that happens. I hope it grows quickly for you.

Gainesville, FL

They go grow pretty fast. I have grown a few species of Mucuna that also grow rampantly. Its hard to keep them contained, They are true jungle creepers and will send runners underground and pop up in unlikely places. But if you have space for just one vine, IMO this is the one to grow

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.