European Starling adopted us

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

Last Thursday I was out watering plants and a bird flew down from a tree in our yard and landed on my shoulder. I've identified it as a Juvenile European Starling. As you can see in the photos it's not afraid of us at all. In fact I was mowing the grass this morning and it was following me down the sidewalk. I had to stop and get my wife to come out and take care of it. It seems to love dried meal worms in fact it eats out of our hands. However it also will forage around in the front yard for bugs on it's own. Around 7pm or so it just takes off (it flies well) and disappears until the next morning when it's sitting on our front porch yelling for more worms.

Thumbnail by chris1948 Thumbnail by chris1948 Thumbnail by chris1948 Thumbnail by chris1948 Thumbnail by chris1948
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I suspect someone found and raised a baby bird, then decided it was self-sufficient enough to release it. But the bird had already socialized to people and would rather be around people. Worst case, it doesn't even know it is a Starling and doesn't like other Starlings.
I have heard of people keeping Starlings as pets. You may have a pet whether you want one or not.

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

That's what we were thinking also. Since we have a large Starling population around here I'll have to watch and see what happens after it fully matures.

(Zone 5a)

I read in another birding forum someone in Texas just releasing juvenile Starlings. One flew away, but the other is following her. The timing was off since she released them yesterday, otherwise I would have wondered if this was a neighbor. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.