I need a delicate vine -suggestions?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have a vessel type sink I use on a stand in my garden for art. It just occurred to me that a vine growing up the post, thru the hole and around the sink would look spectacular. However, I don't know what would work. Maybe there is a small clematis? I have Polish Spirit and that would completely overpower it, as would morning glories. I am open to annuals or perennials, sun or shade. If you have a suggestion, could you please tell me how you think I can get it as well? If any of you have something that would work, I have a HUGE garden and I would be more than happy to trade. I have over half of the Perennial Plant of the Year selections. I'm begging.
Sorry for the sideways pictures. This is how they load from an iPhone...

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I think a Canary Bird Vine (Tropaeolum peregrinum) might be perfect. It is an annual, I got a tiny start at a local nursery this spring. Here it is today. It is supposed to like sun or part sun, but here it is on the NORTH side of my shed, and it is even blooming. Also the bright yellow would match your bowl.
I believe this is available as a seed. If it is like the regular nasturtiums is would be easy from seed!

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That is exactly the thing I was going to suggest. It's very delicate looking with small leaves and will not overpower your display. I think the yellow is the exact same shade, also. (mlm is my sister - she gave me one, also, and I'm loving it. Thanks, sis!)

Mulberry, FL

you can also check out cypress vine small red flowers lacy looking vine

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look for one! Might be just the thing!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

My suggestion would be a Cardinal Vine or a Cypress Vine. Both are annuals and blooms are red. Hummingbirds love them. They come up quickly from seed - both sun plants. The Cypress Vine is the daintiest with its tiny fernlike leaves, but either would probably do. Wish I had some seed for you, but I do not. Would you like me to be on the lookout for a package?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the suggestions they both sound lovely. I'll try to find some seed. I don't know what you mean by being on the lookout for a package?

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Next time I go to the farm store (within a week-probably), I could look for you a package of seed before they do away with all their seed packets for the season - surely they would have one of them??

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

That would be great! Thank you so much. I have only 3 types of seeds but I would gladly send any of them to you. Picture 1 is nigella - a beautiful true blue annual. Just throw the seed down in the spring. Same with the aquilegia. I don't know the variety but here is a picture. Fully double maroon flowers. Stunning. The last is echinops ritro - globe thistle. Again, true blue although I do not have a picture. If you would like any of these just let me know.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Some ornamental passion vines have very delicate leaves and thin vines, somewhat larger flowers than the cypress or canary. you may want to consider some research on those as well?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

delicate is the cypress vine.. blooming red or white here... stop by for a basket of sprouted and growing vines...110% guaranteed to return next year

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

rteets: There's a pretty good thread on Seed Germination entitled "Growing Cardinal Vine (annual) from Seed"
Read my posts about Cypress Vine, Ipomea sloteri.
I would recommend Black Eyed Susan Vine, Thunbergia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.