Need some help-long

Superior, WI(Zone 4a)

Ok my gardens are in the front and the side of my house.I have a clear shot of the neighbors back yard from the side yard.This has not been a problem in 15 years.Well the new people that brought the house last year have.The they started working on the outside of the house,not a problem.Till they left stuff out all winter and then spring come along.Daff,tulips and other spring flowers blooming and looking beautiful.But right behind them is the junk in the neightbors yard from last years house work.Makes for a pretty picture.Ok,I live with that,then came the dog pen.I really don't mind the dog pen,cause I can watch the dogs play and have fun.But at the end of the day the neighbors come home and let the dogs run lose for alittle fun.Well quess where they head,yep my flowers beds.Ok,I've leaned to live with that too.But NOW,now they put up a big shed.So no matter what window I look out all I see is that shed.I will be talking to the city about this.And I really don't want to start a war,but this I can't live with.So I need some help on what to plant in full sun,zone 4 that will get TALL.Hopeing for 8' or more.Thinking more of shrubs,flowering would be a big +++Please I know little to nothing about shrubs so any infor would help.I have all winter to plan on a new garden wall.
Thanks for your time,Dirtpig

Know how ya feel,same here' Thinking of some climbing roses or wisteria grows fast and blooms' Maybe honeysuckle,pretty,I have Gold Flame Marginata(purple,red,orange,yellow)flowers' Here's a thought,climbing roses and carpet roses below,so the canines get a little message to stay out of your beds too,lol' HTH,Sis' Keep us posted too'

(Zone 5b)

Some canna get pretty tall and flower all summer in full sun, but they have to be stored during winter. I think butterfly bush would flower all summer too.

We put Rose Of Sharon as a screen along our neighbor's ugly privacy fence with clematis in between. Then we planted roses in front of those. The rose of sharon get tall enough, and the others are for variety. All of these take full sun and flower all summer long.

Good luck!

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I can root for you curly twig willows, they grow quickly, then how about planting sweet autumn clematis and maybe an earlier clematis, or some of the sweet Annie seeds-some of my plants got 7 foot tall-is an annual. Just let me know and I will get the stems rooting tomorrow and they will be ready to go in the spring. Also some information about willow fencing from library books. Good luck. Marcia Also planting a blackhaw viburnum, thick enough to keep dogs out and the branches have thorns and pretty fall foliage.

Valley Falls, NY(Zone 5a)

CUP PLANT. These guys are MONSTERS! They get about 10 feet tall, here. Definitely fill in a space,...RAPIDLY! Very pretty leaves, large, that "Cup" water at the stem, where they meet. Kinda cool. It flowers late summer. Clusters of small "Sun-flowers" at the top. Just be sure you REALLY want it there,...Forms a cement-like brick, for a root system.Anyway, Dirtpig, If you want some, now, or in Spring,.Give me a holler! Dawn

This message was edited Sunday, Nov 11th 10:36 PM

Superior, WI(Zone 4a)

Dawn,would love to try some Cup plant.Have never heard of this.Do you think this will do ok in zone 4??
Dirtpig

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Dirtpig, I would vote for butterfly bushes. mine have gotten at least 8 ft tall and full of flowers that attract not only butterfluesbut hummingbirds as well.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I think the cup plant (Silphium perfoliatum) would be hardy enough. It's a herbacous perennial though and will die back to the ground the winter. Joe Pye weed and Jarusalem artichokes get real tall too. Butterfly bush would be nice but it's not hardy enough. I don't know a lot about shrubs either. How about lilac bushes or viburnums. Bridal wreath spiraea is nice too and I think it would be hardy.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey Dirtpig - Most of the choices so far have been deciduous shrubs that loose their leaves in the winter or die back to the ground. Maybe some evergreen shrubs could be mixed in with the other plantings. Hollies are nice, but I'm not sure how many of the are hardy to zone 4. I really sympathize with you. Hope everything works out.....Les

That's a great point Les,now that I think of it too' The neighbors' debris would be visible all winter long with the deciduous shrubs' I've tried hollies here in z5 on my north and lost them,brutal winds I think' Made me sick' I now have rasberries across the back' Whatever you do,good luck' Sis'

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

How about plain ol' privet hedge? It grows tall, it grows fast, it grows thick, it holds its leaves all winter, and I don't think you CAN kill it. And if you cut it back a few times to make it really thick, the dogs can't get thru it, either. It roots readily---just break off a piece and stick it in the ground, or you can plant the berries---I think it sprouts the next spring. Let me know if you'd like a few pounds. (*grin*)

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

You might consider Heptacodium miconioides (Seven-Son Flower) It grows 15'tall x 10' wide, has creamy white fragrant flowers that blooms in August. It is hardy zone 5-8. Don't know if it will survive WI, but it does ok in NE

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.