Hard Winter - Lots of Dieback

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Forsythias are mostly dead branches, but some new growth is coming up from the ground; magic carpet spirea has a lot of dead branches. Some of the less hardy junipers have so much brown that i am calling them a complete loss, and two of my tree peonies look dead except for some new growth coming up from the ground. I am curious to see if it will be the same kind of flowers.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I've got two tree peonies that mimic your experience. Many, many dead or substantially damaged conifers. I don't have any yews, but they really took a hit in these parts. It looks like many of them were killed to the ground. This was as tough a winter as I can recall in a long time, but it also allowed some trees & shrubs to prove themselves, such as Stewartia, which shows no damage whatsoever.

I'm surprised you experienced so much damage where you're at. It seems like most towns on the Mississippi River are a full zone warmer that nearby towns not on the river. Have you ever been to Bickelhaupt Arboretum? I'd be curious to see how their plants (especially conifers) came through winter.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

No, I have never heard of BA. I have noticed that Prairie du Chien, WI, which is just across the river from us, does seem to have a warmer climate, but we are up on a ridge and exposed to every wind from wherever! On the other hand, my irises were totally snow covered ALL winter, and they are looking great! So, as usual, it is "win some, lose some" !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.