Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Picea engelmannii 'Snake'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Pinus resinosa 'Aurea'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, you sure have an eye for the unusual...love them (especially Picea abies 'Rydal').

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Will be fun watching them grow up. Did you have any winter damage on your conifers?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

From what I know, 'Rydal' is not yet available in the states. Long story, but thanks to eBay, I found a seller in England who sought one out for me and shipped overseas.

I had some winter damage, but a lot of good surprises. Most losses were from potted plants kept in barn.

More pics coming...

This was the first year I kept plants in pots for the winter, I lost them all. They weren't nearly as valuable as your collection. I remember a pic of your holding area in the barn...I hope you didn't lose that many...ouch.

Fabulous story for 'Rydal' makes it even more precious. You inspire me to research every single one you post...wow this is fun.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I probably lost 10% in the barn. One Liriodendron tulipifera 'Mediopictum' , which to my knowledge was the last one in the country. Aargh...

When I get obsessed, I will comb the planet...🌎

Quote from dybbuk :
When I get obsessed, I will comb the planet...
Lol, I have no doubt but can provide a no-cost insurance plan for you. Let me come and prune all your specimens, then allow me a follow up visit to collect seeds and cones. I'll do my utmost to grow them on and have at the ready in case there is ever a need for a replacement. Sounds good huh? I thought of it all by myself.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a plan.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Acer freemanii x rubrum 'JSC Kingsone'
(PP#221935)
Shelina's Beauty™
Variegated Red Maple

Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk

Ooh, can't wait to see that one in the fall.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Picea pungens 'Monkey Puzzle'. Very excited about this one🙈🙉🙊

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' & 'Torulosa'.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Picea pungens 'The Blues'.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Emerald Twister'.

Thumbnail by dybbuk

Whoa, you never cease to amaze...beautiful! Excuse me while I wipe away the drool...

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

😃
Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Cotinus coggygria 'Ancot'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

These are great. You have the beginning of an arboretum. (I really like the Picea abies 'Rydal', too!)

Dybbuk, do you hand pick most of your specimens or do the majority get ordered sight unseen?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Great pics dybbuk-I was admiring the Cotinus 'Ancot' and wondering how it was different from my 'Golden Spirit'. so I looked it up and of course found out it is the same. I put mine in several years ago. It is proving to be a very slow grower (admittedly not watered much) but a tough survivor, with no pests or problems. Last fall was the first year the fall foliage was SPECTACULAR. I might have to water it a bit more so it grows faster. Mine gets evening sun in the autumn and it absolutely lights up.
I want a Rydal too...

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Mipii, I'd say my plants are 50/50 as to hand picked or mail order. 'Rydal' is a good story. I couldn't find it anywhere in the US, then I stumbled upon an eBay seller in England who sold plants and shipped worldwide. I contacted him and asked if he had this tree. He didn't but said he'd look around for it. He found one last one from a nursery and sent it to me. Total with shipping was about $14.

That was a great deal too! The form of all your specimens look so good I was certain the majority were hand selected (unless your that good at photography). This is such a treat for those of us that admire the unusual...thanks so much for posting.

For those that missed the previous round Dybbuk posted, check them out here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315832/

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I do a lot of traing. I hate the look while it's happening, but there's good payoff.

You prune to train? I'm an avid believer in training young trees for there health, vigor and form. Great payoff!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Cercis canadensis 'Whitewater'.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

OK - where's that Redbud from?

Do you already have the infamous Kentucky pair of variegated Cercis canadensis: 'Alley Cat' and 'Silver Cloud' (the two that launched the craze)?

This Redbud hails from NCSU. It's a descendant of 'Silver Cloud'.
http://cals.ncsu.edu/hort_sci/people/faculty/pages/Werner-germ-cercis.php

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Impressive heritage...

'Silver Cloud' Redbud was selected and named by no less a luminary than the late Theodore Klein of Crestwood, KY. I'm proud to have counted him among my mentors in learning about plants. He had an astute eye, and discriminating nature in trialing plants. He was among a handful of outstanding plantsmen and enthusiasts who founded the Great Rivers Chapter of the Holly Society of America. He was a force in the establishment of one of the finest collections of the genus Ilex at the Bernheim Arboretum, just outside Louisville.

Anyone who wants to evaluate the various qualities of Ilex opaca need only drop by here to see over 200 cultivars growing side by side for comparison.

Here are a few images of 'Silver Cloud' - progenitor of the fine plant above...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I have 'Alley Cat'. Had a nice 'Silver Cloud' but moved. Now I want 'Solar Eclipse'.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

unfortunately silver cloud did not survive here in the NE Kingdom.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo biloba 'Anny's Zebra'

Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo biloba 'Californian Sunset'

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo biloba 'Peve Maribo'

Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.