New forum!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

It's been a while since we introduced a new forum, and to be honest, we're a little nervous about this one. We're calling it Group Buys:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/buyinbulk/all/

For those of you who have been here a while, you'll recognize the co-op concept, which we've had here off and on since the early days of DG. Hopefully the first thread covers all the major questions and issues:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1360250/

But if we missed something, please ask and we'll do our best to give you a straight-up answer.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Somehow read that as 'Group Boys' at first glance . . . maybe that could be a new forum too?!?

;-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've missed these, Terry--thanks.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I think we had some good buys, but they were probably balanced out by the lousy shipping etc. But, yes, they were fun. Thanks Terry.

LOL @ Resin...I don't think "group boys" is in our immediate future :-)

We think and hope that the 3rd (or is it 4th?) time will be a charm and the majority of group buys will go off without a hitch, that drama will be kept to a minimum and that as admins our main interaction with this feature will be to approve new organizers and to participate in some of the buys ourselves.

That's a big wishlist, but if everyone does their part, it can happen. The keys to success are for members to:

- step up and organize to share the load - it's not fair or wise for a handful of organizers to run all the purchases;
- don't place unreasonable demands or expectations on an organizer; and
- only participate at a level that you can afford to walk away empty-handed if things don't work out as planned.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Trying to think of something I could use for this. Darn it. Just ordered some pruning shears online. Seems that is all I do lately. Online.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, I saw "Group Boys," too!

Must be a psychological thing...

Jnette, I have several pairs of sturdy nitrile gloves and a Haws watering can courtesy of some group purchases several years ago. Most of them are done by negotiating with an online or mailorder company to buy their product in bulk.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, I have those too Terry. Yes, those were good buys. I even went back and ordered another dozen pairs of gloves for Christmas gifts.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I LOVED those gloves. Of course the ones I got for DH disappeared, as his gloves routinely do, but I still had mine until we moved.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

I saw group boys too!! Go figure.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Funny how all you ladies have your mind on boys. LOL Nothing wrong with that.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Resin :
Somehow read that as 'Group Boys' at first glance . . . maybe that could be a new forum too?!?

;-)

he heee Resin, I saw the same !

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Me too. Weird.

Wishing for alliums

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That would be a good coop BajaBlue. Why don't you get it going?

Edited to add:

A lot of the bulb companies are having sales now, like Dutch Bulb, etc.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2014 11:49 AM

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I miss the coops that were on DG. This is still a great site.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well Kamikid, Terry is giving us this site for that very thing. Nobody has just done anything about it. How about you getting something going? LOL, Guess all the folks that did the coops before are gone to other sites. Too bad.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Think the best coop I was in were the garden gloves. I think I might have the label on a pair of new ones in there, might see if anyone is interested in working with her. She was really good as I remember. I bought another dozen from her after the coop was over, for Christmas gifts.

Quote from BajaBlue :
Wishing for alliums

Me, too - maybe you and/or someone else will want to try your hand at putting together a group order? Bulbs are a great item to group buy, because they aren't as fragile as live plants and you can generally get some great discounts on large orders.

Quote from Jnette :
Think the best coop I was in were the garden gloves. I think I might have the label on a pair of new ones in there, might see if anyone is interested in working with her. She was really good as I remember. I bought another dozen from her after the coop was over, for Christmas gifts.

Jnette, it sounds like you might be talking yourself into heading up a group buy :-) Gloves are another "forgiving" item to purchase - they aren't going to die in transit so there isn't the same time crunch as there is with some of the plants we've co-op'd in the past.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have only run one coop and that was a long time go with MAMAJACK. I am a county commission and do not have time to do. I will,of course support the cause. Gloves are a great way to start. This is Kamikid
Elaine

Thumbnail by Kamikid
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gosh, I haven't any idea the first place to start with something like that. Also, the time involved. Right now I am on an electric scooter or walker per drs orders to keep the weight off of my hip. Had it replaced clear back in March. While no problems foreseen, the dr is being extra careful with it because it is the 5th one on this side. So, I am sure I can do a lot of the computer work, but as far as putting the order together and mailing them out, no. Any ideas?

Seems everyone I know on here is knee deep in gardening. Too bad, these things would have been good in the middle of winter. Let me know what you think.

What are rules about a business owner
doing it ? (for products he/she offer ?

Thumbnail by BajaBlue
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

BajaBlue, think you need to go back and read the rules. Am sure Terry posted where to find them on here. I also think once you let one commercial enterprise in the door you are a regular strip mall.

Quote from BajaBlue :
What are rules about a business owner
doing it ? (for products he/she offer ?

That's one of the very few rules: vendors aren't allowed to run co-ops. They can sell in the "classified ads" area but our forums remain off-limits for direct selling to members.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

In other words, there has to be a DG member as a liaison between the vender and the members buying. Is that close enough Terry?

Ideally, there is complete independence between the organizer and the vendor. Meaning the organizer picks the items they are willing to coordinate a purchase for, then selects a vendor based on objective criteria, namely price and quality.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes??? So BajaBlue, are you willing to do that? I think the bulbs or the gloves are wonderful coop items. Another one I really liked was for Mychorrizae, but don't think they had a whole lot of interest did they Terry?

I have been a member for many years, and observed
the in and outs, ups and downs, and "issues" with
the co-ops here on DG..

I ould not gandle one on my own.

But I am just getting clear on the rules for all of us,
not just me.

Literally, for months, I have been looking over and
over at all the alliums, trying to compare prices,
comparing sizes, reviewing vendor reviews... tired !

So I "might" be qualified to sponsor alliums.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Does that mean that you would take care of the sorting, and mailing, besides taking the orders and money? You say you could not handle one on your own. What part can you not handle? Have you been to any roundups in your area? Do you know other DGers in your area that might help you?

It sounds like you have done most of the initial work already. Have you determined who would give the best product for the dollar?

Terry, I have never participated in any of the coops, other than buying, but like Baja I have observed a lot of the issues folks have gone thru, plus reasons you all have seen fit to pull them. Have I missed anything that Baja or anyone else would have to do?

I think whoever does this, needs to realize the limits and when to say enough.

Jnette, I agree.

I have sent Terry a Dmail.

Terry, you have mail. :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1366530/

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Don't think folks are reading this list of threads Terry. There are a lot of them that don't know it is called Group Buys. I never thought, about looking in the communities. Wouldn't be there either would they?

Guess all we can do is tell them and eventually, everyone will know. jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, did you ever look at the Dave's Garden forum? Terry has one called New Forum. The coop is now called Group Buys. I think you can maybe find it under any of these. Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.