Rustled daffodils

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I had the good fortune of digging some ancient bulbs in an abandoned property in freestone co., east tx. Zone 8a A neighbor said the old house belonged to a distant cousin who had passed away and husband decided to let the house fall apart or for the next person to repair. How sad to think that once some lady lovingly planted these bulbs along her fence line, only to end up totally ignored. She told me to help myself and that I did!

I planted today in my z9, unsure as to whether they will bloom, but I can only hope. I remember years ago when we would drive by to a spectacular show, Most of the bulbs were HUGE and I wonder if anybody can suggest what they might be, judging by the bulb size. Foliage was mostly yellow and I cut it off b4 planting, but they were well over 24" long. Any suggestions ?

Thumbnail by vossner
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Nery,
I just now found this thread and would have answered earlier if I'd known about it.

The bulb in the photo you posted looks like some variety of CRINUM to me, as does your description of the foliage that remained.

Howdy JD, I have a s###load of crinums now growing in my daffy beds, lol

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Nery!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Before you tear them out of the ground, wait and see what others think they may be. They very well could be something else entirely, but they scream Crinum to me.
They don't have that typical look of any Narcissus bulb I've ever seen.

You know, JD, when I rustled the bulbs the foliage was already turning yellow, like daffies do. This was early March, I think. Crinum in my garden are peaking out in March or never skipped a beat if winter was mild.

I agree that I've never seen daffie bulbs this big before but the homestead could be between 50-100 yrs old, so nobody ever disturbed them until I came along.

Here are pics of foliage starting to come out now. Seems a little earlier than usual but what is usual, what is normal? Looks like daffie or paperwhite to me. However if it turns out to be crinum as JD suggested or something else, I won't be too proud to admit it here.

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Those last photos DO look like Daff's of some sort (or paperwhites, etc.)
I still think the huge bulb in the original post is a Crinum.
Better ask Kozmo ! lol

As far as what "normal" is, I have dutch iris sprouiting already.
Go figure!

Too funny, I shall ask the stinker

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Do you guys really have spring bulbs sprouting already? It's not even winter! My mind is blown...LOL

My show is usually in dec with late bloomers going into late jan. But leaf sprouting now seems early , even for moi

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow! We have another solid 5 months until we start seeing sprouts!!

Natick, MA

Well, not really SPRING bulbs, but I ordered hardy lillies for fall planting. They arrived August 1, and I was advised to plant right away so they would not dry out. Also hardy glads. The glads have sprouted (not bloomed) but out of 50 lilies, I have approx. 15-18 with blooms over the past 2 weeks. Early "surprise". Hope they do well next summer given the odd planting schedule!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

sequoia: The weather here has been so schizophrenic the past few years that dutch iris, daffodils and other bulbs begin sprouting now, grow about a foot, then stop doing anything. They do bloom on schedule though in the spring.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh ok, that makes sense I guess. A few winters back I still had a couple annual petunias living until two weeks before Christmas. That was also the year that our daffs sprouted a couple inches in December. I'm not sure that was too good for our bulbs though.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Our narcissus and daffodils usually bloom in Feb when do they bloom in PA?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

They usually bloom in April, some in extreme late March. The earliest thing to bloom in our yard is a single snow crocus that usually blooms in late February because it's in a microclimate. It's friends usually bloom a week later.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Nery, good to see you're still here posting! You're bulbs look much like Lycoris bulbs, and the leaves on mine look like Daffodil foliage, only slightly wider. Interested to see what you end up having!

As I thought. It was daffies--paper whites, actually. They must have been ancient 'cause bulbs were gigantic as I posted in OP.

Paper whites and daffies coming along in Richmond TX

Oops, pic

Thumbnail by vossner
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sweet! I bet the scent is nice too! Saw the first Snowdrop open in the garden today- it has begun :-)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Lovely lighting in the picture!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.