time for a dust bath

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

taken in my sister's backyard yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I have seen several types of birds doing this, but never caught one in a photo. Good job!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks goes to my sister. she takes great photos! :-)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It's lucky to have some dust to bathe in! All it would find here is wet mud . . .

Resin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's probably the one spot in her entire yard that isn't given over to her plants. it was such a long, cold winter up in missouri that she is very late in getting her gardening chores finished for spring. she's glad to have had that bare spot for Miss Turkey.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

a new picture of Miss Turkey this morning.
i'm finding it very odd that she should be all alone. there are a lot of wild turkeys in my sister's neighborhood. the juveniles seem to flock together and the adult females would probably be nesting now, but maybe not yet?

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I thought all the birds would have paired up and started nesting by now BUT
I am still having new species of migrants turn up in my yard, a lot more males than females. Which means they aren't done migrating yet, so they haven't started nesting yet.
I don't know how this affects non-migratory birds. Our quail seem to be pairing off, but the little ones don't hatch out until after the summer solstice, usually after July 4th. So they would not have laid any eggs yet.
If I remember correctly, Turkey incubation is a long six weeks. What time of year does your sister usually start seeing poults/chicks?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'll ask her tomorrow.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Cool pics. My house sparrows do it all the time.

Hack

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i didn't answer that last post about seeing babies but here they are....strutting through my sister's garden for the first time today.

she counted 12!

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.