Does anyone know this one?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

About 5 years ago my son shared a cutting of this coleus and between the two of us we kept plants going until this past winter when we both lost them all. I had at least a dozen plants in the ground for several years and they came back reliably until this time. The cuttings I brought inside survived well until around February when they gave up, I think there was just too much dry heat in the house this year. I wish I knew which one this was. The first picture, although grown in some shade is how some of the branches looked, sun or shade. You could have mostly white, red, green, yellow or all together on the same plant. The second picture is a bit overexposed, the colors were deeper. Rosy Dawn has a couple, Wildstreak and Eruption, that look similar.
Any ideas?

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sorry! I don't have that one but it certainly is lovely.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Pretty good keeping them going for 5 years. I looked around for you for a name but couldn't find it.

Alice, have a great day today celebrating what a good Mom you are!!!! You too, Pirl.

Hi Kell and Pirl, Happy Mother's day right back at you both.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Even though I'm late, Happy Mother's Day to both of you!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The red and green looks a lot like mosaic. The red one is one of the twist and twirl varieties. I have some in water rooting. I'll see if I can give you a start.

Marcia

Thank you, I would love a start. Those pics were of the same plant, you never knew if it would throw a red stem or a yellow one, that was so amazing. I had cuttings planted all over the yard and they were all different. This past winter really did a number on them, they had always come back from the roots before. :-(

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I will take some phot, and you'll see if you like them.

I lost a bunch and ordered from Rosy Dawn Gardens. I could not have been happier with the order. I have a lot to learn about packing. I will try to use their packaging methods. I could not plant them immediately. When I opened themup a few days latr, they wet perfect.

Marcia

Thanks Marcia.

I ordered from Rosy Dawn a few years ago with some neighbors and when we opened the box we were shocked to see such tiny plugs for the price we paid. Then overnight the magic happened. By morning they had grown into small but perfect plants. It is amazing. They were really healthy too and they grew like crazy.

p.s. dmailing you some appliance news. :-)

Mount Laurel, NJ

The first one is 'twist n twirl'. The second one I don't know but it looks a little bit like 'vanessa' that I saw at Longwood gardens this year.

Thank you, I think Twist and Twirl comes closest. Actually they are offspring from the same plant, often the branches would run red, or yellow or green although they were usually multicolored.

Mount Laurel, NJ

Wow, that is interesting that second one is from the same plant. It's amazing how coleus mutate and change right on the same plant. I have sports of 'twist n twirl'. They actually have names according to some coleus sights. The all red one is 'hot embers' and the green and yellow one is 'gold twist'. I thought my 'twist n twirl' was getting yellow dots, but it turned out to be a sticky pollen, haha.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123

I hear 'ya. We had a heavy pollen fall this year and little rainfall so the pollen is still stuck on a lot of leaves around the garden. Our camellias all look like they have some kind of disease because of it.

I can understand some growers naming the sports, a visitor to my garden thought I had two plants growing together when they saw the T n T with red branches.

Mount Laurel, NJ

Here's a picture of 'vanessa'. Yours is actually prettier, with the frilly edges. It should have it's own name, 'twist n twirl cocktail' or something. haha.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2014 7:40 PM

Thumbnail by coleuslover123

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.