Fir the love of...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

...well, the love of positive identification.

To me, there's nothing worse (horticulturally, anyway) than having a great plant that is not what it's purported to be. Here's a fir instance...

These several plants were purchased as Abies nordmanniana. Nordmann Fir is a great plant that I enjoy every time I see it in landscapes, and have grown several plants for a long time at the Valley. I believe these new purchases to be a different species.

Let's see what you think.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

More images...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

And a few more...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

First row of pics looks like Abies holophylla to me.

Resin

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Do the needles have two white bands underneath?

Quote from Resin :
First row of pics looks like Abies holophylla to me.

Resin

Ditto the rest, too.

Resin

I appreciate all of you for reviewing this plant.

I've taken a look at some online information - Arnold Arboretum, Morris Arboretum, and Mustila Arboretum (must-read for Pseudo). Though I knew the name Abies holophylla from texts and from seeing the plant here or there over many years of travel, I believe I have a better handle on the species.

Thanks for the identification, Resin. I will give the nursery a heads-up about what they really sent, and see if they can reconcile their records. I will continue to photograph these plants to document more closely their growth, behavior, and plant parts.

Needle Fir (aka Manchurian Fir) is APTLY named.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I had one of these at the old place. The needles were more Picea than Abies when it came to being user friendly. I planted it in the company of birch, just like Resin recommended.

Thanks for the Mustila Arb tip. I'll check that out.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
I've taken a look at some online information - Arnold Arboretum, Morris Arboretum, and Mustila Arboretum (must-read for Pseudo).

Finland!? Does anyone know what zone southern Finland would be. I'm not surprised they're big on rhododendrons considering the founder of the Arboretum is A. F. Tigerstedt.

Scandinavia isn't mentioned often in the periodicals and referenceI material I read, but I'd be the first to admit that's a limited amount of information. Is that part of the world considered a horticultural mecca? I heard it was a hotbed of botanical nomenclature. ;)

I figured:

Pseudo = cold.

Finland = cold.

Natural affinity.

I also imagine Resin has been to this excellent collection, so he should offer up more direct experience.

Here is some more information on that part of the world, should like-minded souls be interested...

http://www.vpike.com/?ci=660294&country=FI
http://www.mustila.fi/en

And here are some zone maps from the right honorable Gerd Krussmann's venerable text Manual of Cultivated Conifers. The location of Arboretum Mustali is Elmaki, Finland - a little northeast of Helsinki - which looks to be solid zone 4.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Me so cold, but warming up quickly.

This place is a good find. I could see making it a destination visit on a trip to Scandinavia. It's been added to my bucket list, which is starting to get long.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This may not have much to do with firs, but one of the highlights of a trip to Iceland a few years ago was a serendipitous visit to a botanical garden on the northern coast in the town of Akureyri. I marveled to see all the plants I can't grow - they looked like they were on steroids. Some of you may live in climates where these aren't that unusual, but for me, it was spectacular. I always love checking out botanical gardens or arboretums wherever we're visiting.

OK, now back to firs...

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Quote from ViburnumValley :
I also imagine Resin has been to this excellent collection, so he should offer up more direct experience.[/quote]
Regrettably not. Would like to, but lack of ££ / €€ prevents it :-(

[quote="ViburnumValley"]The location of Arboretum Mustali is Elimaki, Finland - a little northeast of Helsinki - which looks to be solid zone 4.

I'd say zone 5, but close to the border with zone 4. Probably was zone 4 back when that map was produced, though. For Akureyri in Iceland, I'd say zone 6.

Here's some zone maps I made up, for UK, Iberia, Europe, Asia. To see them best, click on the pic, then right-click on the larger version and select 'View image' to get full size.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin Thumbnail by Resin Thumbnail by Resin Thumbnail by Resin
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Goodness, I didn't know there was a zone -0-. Probably not much tree cover in that part of the world. People around here were bent out of shape over the long winter; can you imagine trying to survive there?!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh Resin, that's really helpful, thanks! I trade seeds and sometimes it's difficult to figure out their zones. Are they USDA equivalent?

Weerobin, I'm pretty sure you can grow all those, Delphinium, Lupines, ???, Poppy (Himalayan Blue), Sea Holly. All great specimens though.

Yep, same temperature scale as USDA.

Zone 0 is the area around Verkhoyansk and Oymyakon, where temperatures have been known to get down to -71°C. That's more than 50 degrees colder than your deep freeze. The sort of weather where if you toss a bucket of boiling water, it's ice before it hits the ground. Just don't go outside there without several layers of thick furs. Perhaps surprisingly, they do have trees there (larch, birch, etc.), the summers, though short, are hot.

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/e/emacsdude/0.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZjfScL_wRE
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266374/Oymyakon-coldest-village-earth-Temperatures-drop-71-2C-locals-wear-glasses-freeze-faces-school-shuts-falls-52C.html

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.