blooming Hyacinth .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's is a really bad pic of a native Wild Hyacinth . Will try another later ,
And; some wild white violets

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The wild hyacinth looks very pretty. Looking forward to more photos.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya C_ville ;
My next try , With a couple yet to open..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Is this in your yard, juhur?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes their mine ..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice thing to have.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I didn't know there were native Hyacinths. They're beautiful. Thanks for the photos, Juhur!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am going to try and save seeds from the largest one this year , thing is though , takes a year or more for them to germinate and about 4-5 years to bloom . about another two-four years to maturity .. long , time , slow to do . plant .
Looks good when you have dozens though , a lily of the valley kind of look ..

Thank you Muddy 1 , took me a while to learn that they existed also .

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Camassia scilloides http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/980/

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks. Sounds like something I'd like to look into.

Juhur, where did you find it? Sounds like it took a lot of patience to grow.

This message was edited May 16, 2014 8:34 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Seeds and plants can be purchased from PrairieMoon.com. Plants are currently out of stock, seeds $2 per pack.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

CatMint) I bought the plants From Prairie Moon Nursery in 2003 , Two of them still have not ever bloomed , However every year I get a few more ,
I have not done much with them until last year, this year three or four of them bloomed .
I can bag a few for seeds ( i can share a couple small plants and a few seeds if you want ) only a few weeks to make sure the plants are not going to bloom and the seeds of course are just beginning to pod nicely ..

Good to know about Prairie Moon--thanks! :-)

Have been checking out the site and love it!

This message was edited May 16, 2014 9:11 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it is nice shop for Natives , if not the very Best ..
I got those for Butterflies back then , I believe the Mourning Cloak that come early some years like the Hyacinth and another they host (I don't remember which one )
A stand of a few Dozen like in the files would be really nice .. some day I will get there .lol

Thanks for the tip about Prairie Moon! I just bought seed packets for 11 different plants!! :-)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a few from them , Your welcome , I started to say that last night only snoozed off somewhere.
I lost my Salix discolor when a ground hog ate the main root .???

My natives are few , as far as perennial , Lupine , milkweed, and the Hyacinth are about it really . I do have a maximillion sunflower and cutleaf coneflowers though also , they try to over run everything. most are weeds ,, not considered flowers ,

Weeds/flowers--all in the eyes of the beholder! I've decided I like the diversity of plant life growing in my lawn! ;-) However, there are a few invasive plants that keep trying to pop up into my garden beds, and I do weed those out. What I really wish is that I had a big meadow--like Muddy and Greenthumb both have nice woodsy areas, I wish I had a nice meadow area LOL--and I would sow a diversity of wildflower seed and see what comes up! :-)

Right now, about a third of my plants are natives. Hopefully these 11 seed packs will nudge the percentage up slightly! :-)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes I' have started more than one argument with my weed comment ,, But the I do several for Butterflies Nettles (2) also tea (1) found some obvata ragwort seeds , I will try to grow , Have sow thistle and three real thistles , fleabane ,
As said several considered weeds , even Burdock another of me tea plants is aggressive .
When I keep up with these though I feel better ..

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

(Juhur, I wrote this before I read your last post. )

I keep thinking of what Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.".

Take fleabanes, which apparently are invasive weeds in some areas.
I collected seeds from the blue-flowered fleabane in the first photo as someone was yanking them out of a yard (yes, he did think I was strange : ). I found the white-flowered fleabane growing in someone's yard as well. I think they're pretty. They really don't look so different from some of the Asters for sale at garden centers.
I sowed seeds from the first in the forest along the creek; I haven't decided what to do with the second one. It might stay in my yard.

This message was edited May 17, 2014 9:41 PM

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Their also a host for a few getting rare Butterflies , Like Northern Metalmark .
I had a few near here until construction destroyed their habitat , I am going to see if any are still around , Fleabane (white philadelphicus) Golden Groundseal (packera obvata ) . their host ..
Black mustard . I get lots of cabbage white (considered a garden pest )
Stinging Nettle Red Admiral . neither native , ?
Alfalfa (orange sulpher )
Snapdragons (buckeye ) get lots of these , others are getting rare here ,
except the Black Swallowtail I get lots of those ,, Queen anne's lace or Ammi ,,
Their wild host , but their always on the Fennel , dill , parsley . The reason their considered pests ,, the eat the whole garden !

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that tip; I didn't realize that. You know a lot about host plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.