Blackbirds of 2014

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have many more blackbirds this year than ever. They are here by the dozens and eating food like they are starving. I do not mind them being here but I was curious to know if anyone else noticed an increase in the number of blackbirds at their feeders this Spring.

(Zone 5a)

We have about the same number as usual. We are surrounded by crop land, so Red-wingeds are always around, and grackles. After the big migration, where we'll see a lot, things settle down. We get a few stray Red-wingeds and Grackles coming to the feeder. We also have a male, Brown-headed Cowbird and where there's males, there have got to be those females around some place. :(

(Zone 5a)

Are you still seeing the birds, or have they moved on?

I cannot stop them from coming here, but if they are going to hang around, I get cracked corn. They seem to prefer that over millet and sunflower. It's a lot cheaper and easier to find in my area.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I had to stop feeding for a few days, the neighbor's chickens were taking over under the bird feeders. I am furious with those chickens. The blackbirds are fewer in number due to that but they empty the birdbath twice a day, taking baths and playing games. They have a wonderful time in that birdbath.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.