Pictures of my epimediums — finally

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I finally have blooms on two of my epimediums. So far out of 9 plants, 6 have survived. I am holding out hopes for the other 3. Anyway, the white one is "Purple Heart" and the pink one is "Rubrum". I love them.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Very nice! Be patient with the others.
I have to protect my small plants from bunnies with wire cages -
don't know if you have the same problem.
Otherwise they're pretty sturdy.

I like the 'Purple Heart'! Very pretty. Are the flowers held up higher than most? My 'Orange Queen' bloomed for the first time this year after being in the ground for two years. Very happy with that one.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, the flowers are definitely higher than the foliage. I'm not the person to ask about how it compares with other epimediums. I'm happy to say, however, that 8 out of 9 plants that I planed last fall made it. I see a tiny leaf close to where I put the lone straggler (e. brachyrrhizum) so I am keeping my fingers crossed about that one, even though I know it is bad luck to be superstitious! Think about it..... Hehe.....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on a new one I received a month ago - E. warleyense 'Ellen Willmott' from Munchkin. When I received it, the plant was quite wet and the leaves were brown and soggy - no green. I did put it in a holding container but no new leaf sprouts. I finally planted it out a few days ago and I'll have to keep my fingers crossed on that one.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I love Ellen Willmott, so I hope yours makes it.
I sometimes get duds even from reputable nurseries; I guess the nature of the business.
But I have had good luck w/ Munchkin, so hopefully it'll pull through w/ a little TLC.

Thanks for the encouragement, Weerobin. I'm hoping that it will sprout because I know that Epis are pretty hardy plants.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I love that Rubrum. Thank you for posting a pic! The Lilafee I got last year a re blooming right now:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow, that Lilafee is a beauty! I need a bigger garden....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A bigger garden, indeed! My epimedium versicolor 'Sulphureum' took off! I brought one small piece from my garden three years ago, and it is five times bigger. It's actually strting to threaten other plants!

Cool!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.