Lucky Day

Mesilla Park, NM

I found some very large epis today.. I am hoping they bloom this summer.. Noids, but they are huge and weigh about 10 to 15 pounds. One has a bud and the other has a tag that reads Pink and Hot Pink, so we'll see. I don't think I'll take cuttings yet, and hopefully they will bloom. They had several hanging baskets but I only purchased two.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mountain View, HI

Wow, you mean they were for sale. We never see any epis like that for sale in Hawaii. What were the prices like. There are dozens of potential cuttings on those plants.

Its really interesting to see everyone growing their epis in hanging baskets. 90% of mine are in pots. Because I'm still into making cuttings my plants rarely get that big.

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, I was in shock all the way home. I drive a Mini Cooper so, I could only fit two that big. 19.99 each, I asked several times if they were sure about the price, they said yes. So here I am with two very heavy epis. I purchased some chain to gang them under the mulberry tree with the others. I'm afraid to go back, they might tell me I owe more. Goes to show what fits in small cars with a little determination.. Lol, but in all seriousness, that was a very low price for some that size. They had at least twenty that size and some with buds. I was so excited that I didn't check to see if mine had any buds.

Mountain View, HI

Interesting that you drive a mini cooper. I'm originally from England and owned a 1964 Mini - when they were a real mini. Can't beat the originals.

Lula, GA

Oh, what a great find...................I have never seen any kind of epie, small or large like the ones you bought , for sale here in Georgia..........or in Florida. !!! It will be exciting to see them blossom............I hope you did get two with buds on them. Some of mine are still budding out. Let's keep our fingers crossed for you!

Brenda

Gold Medal bloomed several nights ago. Hope you have it!!

Thumbnail by wholyhosta
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh no, I tried to hang one of the baskets, and the cords broke, the one bud fell off. But, I didn't know how heavy those really were, on top of it all, I watered them and made them heavier, I need to wait for DH before I attempt it again.

I love my Mini Cooper, it is a clubman, so I have the larger one, I used to have the very first Honda when they came out.. Boy was that car good on gas.. Lol, I remember a dog ran right in front of me, hit my car, got up and took off running. He actually dented my car.. Lol

A.

Mesilla Park, NM

Brenda, what a beautiful yellow. You go girl..

A.

Mountain View, HI

Love that Gold Medal Brenda. The only night bloomer I have is Queen of the Night.

Lula, GA

It is so hot here that my epie blossoms are only lasting two days..........darn. Thanks for the compliments..........this one looks much better than last year when it bloomed for the first time.

This message was edited May 6, 2014 5:33 PM

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Gold Medal is beautiful. I've never seen a night bloomer that had color before. bob

Mesilla Park, NM

I'd love to have a gold medal too, it's gorgeous.

I decided to just place these two plants on top of these urns instead of hanging them. You can see the six inch pot that cost the same as the two large. They are doing well so far, no buds yet, but they like being hosed off.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mountain View, HI

Looking good, do you know what color to expect or will it be a surprise.

Mesilla Park, NM

One will be a surprise, but the larger one gas a tag that I can't make out. It says Hot Pink /. ....

I will post a photo of the tag maybe someone can make it out. It might have two different plants in it. Beats me. I guess they will both be surprises. Actually so will the other two in the six inch pots.

Mesilla Park, NM

Pink/hot pink. But I can't make out the first word.

Pawleys Island, SC

I have never seen any epie of any kind in any nursery along the Grand Strand. Maybe I have never been there at the right time, or maybe just not the right place, but I would love to be able to have an epie nursery here.

Brenda, That Gold Medal is beautiful.

Mike, is your Queen of the night an oxypetalum or strictum?

Mountain View, HI

Hi Linda, I think we are crashing Gourd's thread :)

I think its oxypetalum. I just purchased strictum because it has those thin petals.

See my thread for pic and story.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, I don't mind.. It is wonderful that I don't miss your comments , I learn a lot too. Please don't leave .. Lo, I have never minded since I derail a few threads too at one time or other.

Pawleys Island, SC

I am so bad about doing that. Sorry!

Lula, GA

It looks like part of the name is Rose...................... something Rose.

I did not realize they are such large plants. Doubly what a find!!!

Gold Medal is not a night bloomer.........it is a hybrid and it opened overnight. Most of my hybrids did........I went out most mornings while they had buds in anticipation of seeing another blossom open!! Sorry for giving the wrong impression! Still waiting on Circus Circus to open. My last epie to bloom but for e. hookerii and e. oxypetallum. E. hooker is finally running down after 2 months of blossoms.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a strictum that bloomed so hard two years ago that it almost killed it. It was a four year old huge plant and I know it had 25 blooms on it at one time. Afterwards, it lost 2/3 of its greenery. I hate this. I did start several new plants from it just in case. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Mesilla Park, NM

I want a gold medal also, I know I got some white ones.

But would love some yellows too.

I went back to the place I got these huge plants and found the name fir one of them

It is. Zaparan Pink/Hot Pink

I couldn't find anything on the internet. I'll go back and see what the other labels are. They only had a few large ones but they weren't taken care of so they looked really bad. Here are mine. I'm hoping that the other is Peach color or yellow..

These are getting really big.

Mesilla Park, NM

PS,.. These are in 12" baskets.

I have three of these now. I'm so glad they were rooted, I've had a terrible time with cuttings, they've been rotting on me. I lost Young Nun, Dracula, and some I purchased from Pats Epies.. Darn..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.