Girard's Rose Azalea in Pots

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

We have 2 pots on either side of the front steps up to our front door
that came with the house and I am getting tired of planting annual
flowers in them each year. I was thinking of Begonias that would
have to be brought in each year and then saw Girard's Rose Azaleas
in bloom at the garden center that I really liked so I bought them.
They are about 1.5' tall but it says that they will grow to 4' I assume
in the ground. I am a complete novice and I was wondering would it
be crazy to put these in the 3 gal pots by our front door? Is it likely that
they'll make it through the winter if I bring the pots in the garage in the
fall?

We also have an 18' wide bed that we've cleared and I was also thinking
of planting some Crimson Red Azaleas there. I was thinking 5 plants
with 3.5' between them. This spot has nearly full sun, not sure if that will
be a problem.

We have good soil and the other Rhododendrons and Azaleas around
our yard do just fine.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2015 3:55 PM

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Pete-

I wouldn't advise putting the azaleas in pots. It can be done but requires a considerably large pot and fertilizing every year. There has to be better alternatives for a non-annual planter.

Your second question about azaleas in full sun is a good question. Yes. They can be planted in full sun. However, they are more likely to get stressed which in turn makes them more susceptiable to lace bugs and disease. Might i suggest planting a rhododendron or better yet a deciduous azalea in the middle of the bed flanked by evergreen azaleas on both sides. It'll break up your lines and give you a great center point.

Good luck.

Edited because I can't spell..

This message was edited Jun 2, 2014 2:00 PM

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I think I'll take a picture of the location and ask for some advice since I don't really have a feel for how to plan this out. We have 2 large Rhododendrons and I don't think I want anymore of them, perhaps in white for something different.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

Axaleas are marginally hardy in your area, but Girards AZ's are hardier than most and side you are planting them close to the house they may be in a slighter warmer Zone. I say try them.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I ended up planting 3 Girard's Roze Azaleas and 2 Crimson Red Azaleas in the 18' side bed at the end of last season. I probably left them in their pots for too long, four look alive and are flowering but they do not look very hearty. One or two are not doing much of anything, I'm watering them to see if that helps. Gave them a good soaking and I'll see if they perk up a bit, also gave them some plant tone a few weeks ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.