Bromeliads For May 2014

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Wendy, there are lots of different things in bloom at the moment, the gardens look really good despite the lack of rain. The camellias and the flowering aloes are especially nice.

I would love to see Mel & Michelle Cameron’s place one day. I know they have sales weekends and one of these days I will get myself over there … even though I am downsizing!!!

I haven’t had a lot of time to spare lately, always something taking me away from my plants.

Wendy, hope you stick around at DG rather than FB. Hi to everyone else.

Just for something different, I am going to attach aloe pics tonight, I think they are stunning and they always put on a good show, no matter how much they are neglected.

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

I am typing this without my glasses so please excuse any typo's because I can hardly see without them HA HA and too lazy to get up to get them now that I am on a roll.

Hi Shirley sounds like you are feeling the cold like I am, anyway rug up and keep warm and enjoy your time away.

Shirley nice pics you posted of your Neo's and the Zygo's in flower; I do not have many Zygo's but one that I do have is the one with the stock standard white flower and I luv it when it's in full bloom. Also really liked all the aloe pics you posted in flower, very pretty indeed.

Hi Wendy sounds like you and Johnny have been really busy lifting the roof on the shadehouse; great that it has made such a difference light wise.

Wendy sounds like you are taking the right approach with reducing the amount of bromeliads you have, good on you for being so tough; I suppose at some stage this will be a chapter in growing broms I will have to deal with but for now selling, swapping and giving them away as gifts or bonus gifts really seems to help I just wish I had more time than the weekend to do everything because there is just never enough time to be totally organised but I chew away at things best I can with the limited time I have.

Hi Jean if you are looking in all your brom friends here are thinking of you both and send big hugs and kisses your way and are here for you our beautiful friend.

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

PS: I will be off line until possibly Sunday so look forward to catching up with you all then.

Trish

Sorry no pics today as in a bit of a rush tonight.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Sorry, but I'm having problems typing this morning so I thought I'd just cut and paste an article I wrote a few years back in relation to a questions asked by a some members of our Bromeliad Society.

If you think doing this is inappropriate, please let me know.

BACK TO BASICS WITH “URN” TYPE BROM’S
Neville Wood - 2009

Firstly what is an “urn” type of bromeliad? Loosely speaking it is any brom whose leaves form a sort of a “vase” or “urn” which can hold water. Plants such as Aechmeas, Neoregelias, Nidulariums and Vrieseas being good examples which are commonly grown by us all.

When we acquire our first “urn” type bromeliad it is usually already potted up and may or may not be in flower, and like all other plants we need to find out a little about its basic requirements. I have on various occasions overheard various descriptions of the cultural requirements for these plants, often at the markets from the sellers or from other establishments and more often than not the advice given is mostly incorrect.

One of the most common mistakes that the new grower is told is to stand the plant in a saucer of water so it doesn’t need to be watered too often and just make sure that the centre has water in it at all time. Consequently after a few weeks the plant begins to look sick and gradually deteriorates to the stage where it’s almost dead. At this stage the new grower will sometimes seek advice from someone who grows these plants, and this all usually leads to the plant being taken out of the pot only to reveal it has been growing in nothing more than a pot of mix the bottom half of which is mud; in other words the mix was “water-logged” and the plant has “wet feet”.

To prevent this from happening, I would suggest to all new growers to start with the basics; understand the basic requirements of the particular plant genus you want to grow. The basic requirements of the plant can easily be worked out firstly from how similar plants grow in their natural habitat. This is usually on trees, on rocks or on the ground. The one common denominator here is in the fact that no matter which form of growth these plants take, they all have good drainage.

The other fact worth noting is that “in habitat” these plants always have adequate space between them allowing for good air circulation, if they do become crowded for some reason, the weakest plants die which then creates growing room for the strong ones, i.e. the survival of the fittest.

Likewise the plants growing on rocks and on trees have constant access to good air circulation which is necessary to prevent attack by various types of fungus which cause rot.

So based on this we can gather that the two main basic requirements of these plants if they are in a pots, are firstly a free draining mix and secondly, adequate space between plants to allow for good air movement.

Next we have to look at watering and again we can be guided by what happens in their natural habitat. First we need to realise that plants in the wild are mainly reliant on rain and dew for their moisture requirements. The infrequent amounts of moisture coupled with the free drainage and good air movement certainly doesn’t allow for any plant to become waterlogged and the only way they could get an abundance of water is due to excessive prolonged rain which will accumulate in the vases of the urn type plants.

Even in these cases, nature has an inbuilt safety mechanism whereby when the excessive amount of water becomes just too heavy, it causes the plant to either tip over causing it to empty, or in extreme cases the sheer weight will pull its roots from whatever it is attached to.

Whatever the cause, the plant will not be waterlogged. Bearing all of this in mind the message here is that these plants don’t like to be overwatered and it’s a generally accepted fact that many more plants are lost from overwatering than under watering.

Now to just recap on what we have established already:

Brom’s don’t like to be waterlogged....................... Free draining mix
Brom’s must have good drainage ........................... Free draining mix
Brom’s must have adequate space to grow ….........Don't crowd plants together
Brom’s need good air circulation, plant and roots....Free draining mix and no overcrowding

Now what about fertilizer? Again what happens in nature?

When these urn shaped plants are growing naturally, they are exposed to debris and leaf litter falling into the vase as well as the occasional bird, frog or small animal droppings. This mixes with the water already in the vase and makes (for want of a better description) a “soup”, this mixture then starts to rot and break down all of the components and ultimately it becomes a weak liquid fertiliser which as the urn receives more water, becomes more diluted.
This is an ongoing cycle and consequently the plant is continually getting minute quantities of dilute fertiliser and it’s probably from this very fact that the old nurseryman’s adage to “fertilise plants little and often” was initially born.

This is an ongoing cycle and consequently the plant is continually getting minute quantities of dilute fertilizer and it’s probably from this very fact that the old nurseryman’s adage to “fertilize plants little and often” was born.

The following is a summary of the basic needs required to grow urn shaped brom’s in a domestic environment based on what occurs in nature:

1. They need a free draining potting mix to afford good drainage and air circulation around the roots; they don’t like overcrowding so they need adequate space to grow and they also only need a minimum of water.

2. In my case where I am one street back from the ocean and my climate could be classed loosely as a “maritime climate”. I only water once every two weeks in the summer and monthly in the winter. The exception being on very hot days where I give plants a light misting in the late afternoon.

3. As far as nutrition goes they need the fertilizer in a very dilute form and fed regularly, and if the instructions say mix 1 teaspoon of fertilizer per litre of water and apply monthly, you would be better off mixing ¼ Teaspoon per litre and feeding weekly.

These are safe principles from which to start your journey of growing urn type bromeliads.
............................................................................................................................................................................................

A friend asked me the other day, "Will Neo. compacta grow up a tree?" and this is the answer I sent him. First a pic of Neo. compacta, then two pic's of it growing up a tree near the entrance to Paronella Park Nth. Queensland.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Christchurch, New Zealand

love the Neo. compacta covering the tree there Nev.

Tomorrow is my last day at the shop.
After having this drag on since February suddenly it's all over.

Not sure it has fully sunk in & I suspect there will be a few tears shed tomorrow - possibly not by me but my co-worker was a little emotional about it all yesterday when I was told I could finish up sooner rather than later.

take care all
Teresa

Hi Teresa. did you get your job at Wattyl? is that why you are leaving your current job?
I'd be doing up a nice gift box tonight to give to your boss tomorrow. you should be out in the yard now finding a nice big piece of animal poo to wrap up for him and when you give it to him tell him you are just returning all the he put you through in case he needs it again. LOL

Shirley I love all those aloe flowers but I especially liked pic 3 (white one in case my memory fails me).

Nev I hope your hands improve again so you can chat with mates again. whenever I eat any gluten my hands sieze up and it hurts to type or do anything but so far it hasn't been too sore to type. I hope I never get pain like you do so I can't type. I hope the cold doesn't affect your hands. with winter here for next couple months that would be not good.

We have compacta growing up one of our golden canes but gee it is not as prolific as that one at Paranella Park. We nearly went there when we were up north but it was a wet year and the park was a bit water logged that year so we opted to see it another time. I guess one day we'll go north again.

Jean if you are checking in please remember that you need to look after you too. I know how the partner of the sick person usually ends up with stress related health issues eventually. so remember to take some "ME TIME" every now and then to completely relax. if you have family let them take a shift to let you go for an hour or something just to completely relax. a massage is a good idea as you can get your stressed out muscles can be forced to release and relax or even go for coffee with a friend. I hope you and your hubby get some good quality time together in the next stage of your lives together. Time to tick of your bucket list items. We're working through ours but lots to go. We really want to take a train trip to Cairns one day and then fly to Bamaga and go on a deep sea fishing charter with a friend up there. Last year we ticked off whale watching but we want to go again this year so that one might get a 2nd tick. Maybe we should all tell Jean something from our bucket lists in case it appeals to her as well.

Anyway it's getting to bed time for me so I'll find some pics to share.
Pic 1 & 2 is xanamea scorpio which is flowering at present.
Pic 3 is a very large quesnelia NOID which was labelled white albo. it is very different to testudo and grows 2x bigger than testudo. the albo is pure white where testudo is more cream. It was stunning when in flower with bright red infloresence.

Night for now.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch

Wendy I will have to share what you said about picking up a nice gift for my boss from the back lawn... my co-worker needs some cheering up & will find that hilarious :)

I haven't heard back from Wattyl.
I asked to leave as soon as possible instead of working out the 5 weeks notice.
That way we get a lump sum & I am free to concentrate on looking for a new job.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Look like winter's finally arrived here, nice and sunny but a cold wind blowing up from the snow fields.....Brrrrrr.

Theresa - I'd just like to see the look on your Boss's face........ priceless.

As for Wattyl, no new is good news.

To finish with, a few old pic's of some of the early Neo hybrids I've bred .

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

It has been a bit drizzly here today but I have had a lovely day celebrating my 65th birthday with the family and a surprise visit from my sister who drove down from Hervey Bay. I am now officially “aged” … like a good wine I reckon or maybe that should be ‘old cheese’.

Trish, you did well typing without your glasses, I didn’t notice any typos.

Nev, it’s good to read your articles and not at all inappropriate to cut and paste them on DG.

Teresa, you know what they say … when one door closes, another one opens. Good luck with your job hunting.

Wendy, I have a lot of aloes flowering as they do this time every year, some very dainty and some huge but all very eye catching.

A few vriesea pics

1 - Vr Franklin Forest x White Bands
2 - Vr Hawaiian Rainforest
3 - Vr Plantation Pride hybrid
4 - Vr Stellar Jewel
5 - Vr Lake Innes

Bye for now, Shirley

This message was edited Jun 14, 2014 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Many Happy Returns Shirley; and you're definitely not "officially aged", at 65 you're still a girl with a lot of brom growing to do yet.

Nice pic's you've posted once again and as for my tastes, (although it will always be Neo's) your Pic. 4 get the prize for colour and Pic. gets it for shape.

Now if you were to cross Pic. 4 onto Pic. 5, you could finish up with something really special.

Pleased you like reading the article I posted, I'll have to try and find another.

Pic.1 today is a seedling I gave to Jen Neo. 'Rosea Striata' x Self, and what a great job she's done growing it; much better than I could have done.

Pic'2 is of a pup from a sport which grew from a Neo.'Painted Lady' I had a few years back and Pic's 3, 4 and 5 are of some variegated seedling I bred from that sport.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

Shirley - it's true that when one door closes another opens...
but sometimes there's a long dark corridor between them.love the sports Nev.
Genetics is a wonderful thing.
You can plan your breeding & work out the potential in a combination - and then along comes a sport that throws the rules out the window.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

We are back home from being away a couple of days (we had 4 x days off) where we stayed at the Mt. Quincan Crater Retreat which is situated very close to Yungaburra at the Atherton Tablelands. We had such a lovely, peaceful and restful time there and highly recommend this place to anyone wanting to get away from it all as it's so beautiful up there as well as a huge added bonus is that kids are not allowed so you pretty much only hear the wildlife all around you and the pitter patter of rain all around you. This place is 5 Star accommodation and won best tourisum award last year if my memory serves me correctly and does not disappoint. This is our second time there and it has rained both times but thats normal for the Tablelands as is rains alot there most of the time and when the sun comes out for us it always seems to at the exact right time when we are out; we brought puncho's to wear but did not even have to break them in which was good.

This visit we really got to take our time and explore the area a lot better as normally we only go there for the day where we leave home 3am and get home 10pm, but this time we took our time and had a really good look around the place. We went wine and cheese tasting as well as we went to a couple of distilaries that make there own spirits and port and we got to sample and buy some lovely bottles to bring back home with us (esky full ha ha), the port I really enjoyed as it was made from fruit such as Mulberries and Mango etc. We also went to the Malanda Market that had heaps and heaps of beautiful broms for sale at fair prices as well as great bargains found in some stalls where we brought lovely woodwork and the odd antique here and there. Our car which is a 4WD ended up wall to wall with broms leaving little room for Joe's orchids that I brought at the market but we managed to squeeze them in somehow without damaging them ha ha. We also went to the Strawberry Farm and brought some yummy one's home with us but got stuck into them along the way because they were so irresistable. There was also many beautiful art, wood and pottery galleries we visited and we went to the the Barra' Farm and ate fresh cooked red-claw that had been boiled in honey that we really enjoyed.

Anyway I will have to upload some pics of where we stayed as it is such an amazing place to stay as the cabins pretty much overlook either the volcanic crater or if your cabins situated on the outside of the hill then it overlooks all the lush farmland around that goes for miles and miles.

Time to head so I can start preparing an early dinner; also charging my phone so I can upload some of the pics I took later on tonight, so I will be back later on this evening to chat with you all and looks like I have some lovely reading and photo admiring to catch-up on from all of my lovely brom buddies so look forward to chatting with you a little bit later on.

Trish

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

As promised here are some of the pics we took of where we stayed at the Mt. Quincan Crater Retreat at the Tablelands; check out the outdoor shower ha ha:

I will upload some brom pics tomorrow night as it's getting late for me now and I am back to work tomorrow.

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Townsville, Australia

Having trouble uploading as two pics did not attach, will try again tomorrow - what a bugger.

Trish

shellharbour, Australia

I'll say "Hi" to everyone; even though you aren't posting you may still be looking in; also a big "cheerio" to anyone on the sick list.

Theresa - I have to agree with what you say about "sports", but just to clarify - those last three pic's aren't sports, they are seedlings I bred from the sport in Pic.2. Also another factor that often buggers up the best made plans of hybridisers is Mother Nature, who sometimes has very different ideas as to what the result should be. You can never be certain of the outcome, that's what makes it so interesting.

Trish - Looks like a nice relaxing place but I have to ask, what did you do with the two little canine family members? I'll bet they weren't too happy about not going.

What's with the floor in the shower in the bath room (Pic.3)? It looks like decking boards with a space between the boards. Where does the water go? .........questions, questions, questions, and how about some pictures of your plant purchases?

I'll finish with a Bill that's out in flower now and very much underrated in my opinion Billbergia sanderiana

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

day one of serious job hunt...
I applied for 6 positions this morning.
I try to amend my cover letter to suit each one so it can be time consuming.
I find I have more responses to the individual letters than when I use a generic one.
Although my generic one is pretty good if I say do myself ;)

Trish - sounds like you had a wonderful trip!
I love the look of the out door shower but not sure I'd be brave enough to use it with the door open to the outside.

I guess if you were in your togs & just having a rinse off it would be ok.

That would be a great idea for a beach side unit.

It's really chilly today & the fire needs cleaning out before being lit again...
I am tempted to crawl back into bed as I am tired & achey.
I think the stress had caught up with me & my immune system has decided to pack a sad.

Take care all
Teresa

What's in a name - was gob smacked to see an item on tv about a 'Theresa' but they were pronouncing the 'h' in her name - so was she...
obviously her parents didn't know that it is supposed to be silent.
It is the French form of the name where mine is the Italian version with out the 'h'.
Still should sound the same.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

Nev, thanks for the birthday wishes. Love the neo in your pic 1, what a stunner. And those variegated seedlings … what is your secret, I have only got one variegated seedling from thousands.

Trish, the retreat you stayed at sounds like a great place, love the pics. Also the Malanda market … I like the sound of heaps and heaps of broms selling at fair prices.

Nev, that’s great colour in your bill Sandriana. Mine is quite green even though it’s growing in good light and initially I thought it had bigger teeth, but the teeth are more obvious in your second pic.

Teresa, sounds like there are plenty of job opportunities with six positions available on the one day … hope by now you have secured one of them, if not, good luck with the next one.

Pic 1 - Neo Grace
Pic 2 - Neo Medusa
Pic 3 - Neo NOID
Pic 4 - Neo Gummy
Pic 5 - Neo Macho Splotcho

Bye for now, Shirley

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

How quick the week is going for me, there are not enough hours in the day to play catch-up but I suppose that’s what happens when you go away on holidays, you come back to lots of things that need doing as no one does your work whilst your away unfortunately and everything becomes urgent by then.

Anyway the weekends just around the corner as well as we have our Townsville Show Day holiday coming up on Monday 30 June so that will give us another long weekend to enjoy and hopefully we can do some work on the “Igloo” as we have not been able to get to it for many weeks now and it’s sitting there beckoning me to finish it with Joe so I can enjoy housing some of my precious broms there that the grass hoppers like to chew more than others ha ha.

Hopefully this weekend I will get to potting up some broms as well as I need to feed all my little seedlings which can be in itself a little time consuming taking lids off, feeding and popping lids back on.

The rain has cleared and the morning and evenings are warming up a bit; I think it got down to 10deg’ yesterday and the wind made it feel even colder; so we all rugged up both at work and home to avoid getting sick; except for Joe who now has the flue, is running a fever and both of his eyes are bloodshot so he needs some R&R; but as they say it’s usually the way to fall sick when you are on holidays when your body has relaxed.

Pleased to hear everyone liked the pics of the accommodation where we stayed, I will have to try to upload the remaining pics that did not upload the last time and additionally I will attach pics of some of my lovely new broms.

Hi Teresa hope you kick butt and score a couple of offers from the jobs you have recently applied for, I am crossing my fingers and toes for you.

Teresa I did brave using that quirky outdoor shower while we were away as nobody can see you as your cabin is very secluded and you are not right next to any of the other cabins nor can you see any other cabin or anything around you other than lots of lush tree foliage and the odd bush chook that comes in for a bit of a sticky beak thinking they are going to get a feed as the people that manage the cabins provide visitors with food to feed the bush chooks, wallabies and kanagaroo possums. It was that cold out there thought it was like the quickest shower I have ever had and I like ran back in to quickly chuck on a bath robe and warmed up next to the fire place LOL.

Hi Nev that was a great article you wrote on the Tank Urn Broms, I am sure I have read this before way back when I first joined this brom forum; but really enjoyed reading it second time around as the information provided makes perfect sense and is very informative and muchly appreciated as always.

Nev what a beautiful flower on that Bill. Sanderiana. Also that pic you posted of the sport pup of Neo. ‘Painted Lady’ is stunning along with all those variegated seedling pics.

Nev ha ha our two little canine friends “Lucy” and “Lexi” ended up in fantastic cabin accommodation of their own, the cabin is of a really good size where a human could easily fit in it comfortably with plenty of head room as well as windows and doors. They had a single bed, blankets, pillows, TV, AC (was too cold for it to be on) and access to a fully grassed back yard, only the best for our babies. Normally we get a house sitter but the normal one we use was not available so we made sure they at least had somewhere nice to stay and they have been there before a couple of years ago so are used to the place and the owners.

Hi Shirley happy belated birthday to you; sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family. Do people ever buy you broms for your birthday ha ha; someone brought me a brom last year and would you believe it I did not have it so was thrilled to bits and the look of relief on their face was priceless when I told them I did not have it LOL.

Shirley loved the Neo. Pics you recently posted so full of wonderful color and health.

Anyway time too head as it’s getting late for me.

I will just attach pics of some of my new broms tonight and worry about the trip pics later.

Pic 1 – Neo. ‘Rosy Morn’
Pic 2 – Neo. ‘Prince of Darkness’
Pic 3 – Neo. ‘Jaws’
Pic 4 – Neo. ‘Red Furnace’
Pic 5 – Vr. ‘Rafael’

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Trish,

Sorry to hear that Joe is crook, hope he’s feeling better soon. Thanks for the birthday wishes Trish. And yes, I did get a brom for my birthday and yes, it is one I have already but I’m always happy to accept another brom, LOL.

Hope you get to work on your igloo, we sill have some finishing touches to do on ours but it is in use, in fact, it's chockers. Love your pics, especially neo Red Furnace.

My pics are

1 - Neo Sonic Boom Canvey Stripes
2 - Neo Walking Tall
3 - Neo Hail Storm
4 - Neo Purple Star Albo
5 - Neo Bunkum

Hi to everyone else … it will probably be a week or so before I get back to DG.

Till then, bye for now, Shirley

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I typed a post yesterday but because I was in a hurry I typed it direct in DG and of course you can guess what happened; yes DG ate it.

Not a lot of time today as my daughter's father in law had a stroke yesterday and lots of family things to do today to help sorting things out. He got to hospital fast as it's just one street away so the prognosis is good.

Teresa – I remembered I hadn't apologised to you for misspelling your name all this time, this is probably due to the fact that my niece is also Theresa (with the “h” in her case) and I just spelt it that way automatically.

Shirley – Great colours in your pic's once again and I especially like the NOID in pic 3.

Regarding the variegated seedlings, I have no secret, it was all sheer “arse” as I just seemed to have accidentally developed a “transmitter” with that variegated 'Painted Lady' (Sport). A transmitter is the plant you require to develop variegated plants and from what I understand usually it is a variegated plant with multiple variegated markings NOT ALBO MARGINATED.

Bob Larnack used a variegated Neo. Meyendorffii in his famous 'Aussie Dream' series and Chester Skotak is currently using a special clone of Neo. (carolinae variegated x Hannibal Lector) to produce his latest variegated Neo's (Already 40 registered from this particular parent). To sum up, these breeders have spent years working out how to make variegated hybrids and I just accidentally stumbled upon it first go. They say that “arse” beats “class, don't they.

I'll catch up with the rest of the posts when I have more time.

These pic's are some of the other hybrids from the cross that produced the variegated plants and you'll notice some have faint variegations in the background also.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2014 6:18 PM

shellharbour, Australia

Now to play catch up,

Trish – Pleased to hear your two “little ladies” were well cared for during your break, not that I thought for a minute they wouldn't be.

Seems I'll have a canine friend to look after for a while also because my daughter's father in law also has a dog he's stressing out about and no one to look after her, so it looks like I'm the one.

I love the pic of your Neo. 'Jaws' especially with your feet in the pic so we have a size comparison.
Looking at your 'Prince of Darkness' reminds me I did a cross using that as a parent and I must have a look to see how the babies are going.

Shirley – I love the plant in your first picture but I don't think it's Neo 'Sonic Boom Canvey Stripes'; I think it's just Neo.‘Sonic Canvey Stripes’ . It was a sport developed at the Olive Branch nursery in Brisbane from the albo-marginated Neo.'Sonic Boom'.
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=11962#11962

I also like the plant in Pic.5 which was an Alan Freeman hybrid and was bred from 'Takemura Princeps' x 'Nice One'. When mature it should develop a nice deep mauve/purple centre.

That's it for today and I don't know if I'll make it back tomorrow or not with the way things are at present.

All the best, Nev.

Nev - don't worry about the spelling of my name... I knew who you meant so all good.
I got used to being called all sorts at the RSA - 'Denise' was one of my favourites & I never corrected the chap calling me that as he was a bit hard of hearing & I didn't want to confuse him.

The only time I said anything was a visitor who was being obnoxious - he kept calling me Trish & so I started calling him Bob...
he corrected me quite sternly so I told him with my biggest smile that he had my name wrong too so I'd forgive him if he forgave me ;)

Speaking of Trish... glad you found such a nice place for your pooches to stay - it is hard to relax on holiday unless you know the fur babies are well looked after.
Mine all seemed to think the kennels were marvellous, mind you mine have all loved the vet too.
Hope the dreaded lurgi doesn't spread to you & that Joe feels better soon.

I thought i was going for a job interview this morning but they only wanted me to fill in forms.
Then they will short list people for interviews with the Regional Manager.

I really like the colour of Neo Prince of Darkness.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi Teresa and anyone else that may be looking in.

Teresa - Good luck with the job hunting - An old bloke I once knew said jobs were like trains, there's always another one coming, but I know it gets bloody frustrating while you're waiting for it to arrive.

We've had a rough few days here with our "dog sitting"; No one told us she (Honey) was a cross between an American Staffie and a bloody horse, and so strong too. Apparently from what I can make out she didn't get very much attention where she lived before; she was fed OK and had somewhere dry to sleep, but what she lacked was affection and now when she's shown a little, she just gets very excited and wants to jump up and lick us. Being of such a strong, solid build, this is a bit of a worry with us as we're both "oldies" and not as strong as we once were and easily knocked over. However I think with a little quiet persuasion she'll quieten down in a few more days.

The good news is that her owner (who has just had a stroke) was fully assessed by the team in the Stroke Unit yesterday and they are confident he will get back to 100% again.... (and then he can have his bloody dog back). Anyway, she seems to have settled down a lot just in the last two days since we got her and the good news is that she doesn't eat bromeliads.

She's never been allowed in the house before and it's all new to her but she is very intelligent and does seem to be a quick learner and although we bought he a dog mattress, she soon found it more comfy to sleep on the lounge.

I'll finish today with a couple of Jack Koning examples of what you can get when you self pollinate a plant with potential. Pic.1 is the plant and it's Vriesea 'Mt. Townsend' which is from a cross of Vr. 'The Daintree' x Vr, 'Milky Way'. Two of the nicer seedlings from this selfing (Vr. 'Mt Townsend' F2) are shown in Pic's 2 and 3. Pic.4 I know isn't a brom., it's just Honey in her preferred bed.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

that Vr 'Mt Townsend' is quite subtle in it's colour, love the very fine lines, almost like crosshatching in silver.
The seedlings have the same fine lines but a good dash of colour as well... when you look at them in a row you can see the similarities as well as the differences.
Great illustration of the variability of genetics.

Honey looks like she is well named.
Very sweet.
The good thing about dogs like her is that they respond well to positive reinforcement training.
Once they know what works to earn rewards then they will offer that behaviour.
I'd imagine in her mind the worst punishment you could give would be to with draw attention from her.
I have a friend in the US who had a similar looking dog as an assistance dog. He wore a harness & she could lean on him for stability as her knee was ruined in a botched replacement surgery.
He also learned to pick things up for her - keys, her cane, pretty much anything she might drop & then be unable to bend to pick up herself..

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Gosh we had a busy day today which started with our usual visit to the beach early this morning with our girls but we ended up there for a couple of hours as we caught up with two groups of friends that also like going to the beach and all ended up sitting at the one picnic table and had a good catch-up with everyone. They also have dogs so our girls had a great time playing with them.

When we finally did get home we loaded up the trailer with a bunch of stuff to go to the tip and after that ended up catching up with a friend who grows beautiful orchids and I picked out about 6 nice one’s that Joe did not have and brought them for him; plus I needed some more squat pots for my broms so we got a bunch of those too.

Then after that we headed over to the landscaping place and got a scoop of 15 – 20mm dark scoria as I have decided to pot up some of my vrieseas in this after mixing the scoria with course bark, charcoal and jumbo perlite and see how they go, I just find the other mix I make up holds a little too much moisture although the neo’s do like the finer mix given the pots they are in are not too big and the mix does not stay moist for too long.

By the time we got home after that it was clocking on 4pm and we had plans to go out for dinner and picked our friends up at 6pm; which did not leave much time for doing much at home before headed out again. Anyway we ended up at a restaurant called Ribs & Rumps and all feasted on either full racks or half racks of pork spare ribs cooked in a beautiful sticky glaze that was yummy and just got home not long ago and it’s now 11pm and I’m struggling to keep my eyes open after such a big feed.

Tomorrow I want to spend in the garden as I have I fair bit I want to get done before the weekends over.

Hi Shirley thanks Joe is feeling much better thanks but still not 100% but getting there.

Shirley I too like getting broms for my birthday and it does not bother me if I already have it as it’s the thought that counts. Pleased to hear you’re Igloos’ up with only some finishing touches to be done; I laughed when I read that you say it’s already chockers but did it free up any room anywhere? Sounds like you need to build a second one but even bigger LOL. We are hoping to do more work on ours next weekend and possibly get the shade cloth up as well if all goes to plan; I am so looking forward being able to use it.

Shirley what lovely Neo. pics you posted on 18/6, that Pic 1 of Neo. ‘Sonic Boom Canvey Stripes’ is beautiful. Pleased to hear you liked my new plant of Neo. ‘Red Furnace’, I am very impressed with the plant and the photo does not do it justice in color and size; it’s just such a stunning looking brom.

Hi Nev great to hear your daughters father-in-law is ok and should hopefully 100% fully recover; great that you can all be there for him while he recovers and so very thoughful of you to look after beautiful 'Honey'.

Nev lovely pics you posted on 18/6 of some of your beautiful hybrids, how lovely do the faint variegated lines look on them. Pleased to hear you liked my new plant of Neo. ‘Jaws’, it’s a big brom with still a lot of growing to do. I have been chasing this one for a long time; now the next one on my “Wish List” is “Jaws Too”.

Nev let us know how you’re cross of ‘Prince of Darkness’ seedlings are going as sounds very interesting indeed.

Nev – Oh my goodness ‘Honey’ the dog you are so kindly babysitting is gorgeous but like you say way bigger than you had expected; hopefully once she settles down she will also quieten down for you; sure she is lapping up all the attention. Our friends dog ‘Miley’ (dingo crossed with cattle dog crossed with jack russell) always knows with me that if I turn my back on her and ignore her that she is in the bad books with me and settles down if I do this a couple of times with here whenever I visit and she has not seen me in a while; it gives her time to think about why I am ignoring her and seems to work. Ha Ha great to hear ‘Honey’ does not have a taste for Bromeliads, thank goodness for that as I am sure you would have been worried at first if she would chew any of them.

Nev WOW Jack Konings Vriesea’s as always are breathtakingly beautiful and I want one of each for Xmas ha ha.

Hi Teresa yeah the girls had a great time staying at the cabins and could see when we picked them up that they had really enjoyed the place; their bed was messed up and their toys were everywhere ha ha.

Teresa thanks Joe is feeling much better and I am trying my utmost best to not get sick as I have a big week at work next week and can’t afford to get sick at the moment with all that will be going on. On another note pleased to hear you liked the look of Neo. ‘Prince of Darkness’, I have placed it in some good light in the garden so am keeping an eye on who much darker it will get. All the very best with the Job Interviews, my fingers and toes are still crossed for you and I hope you kick butt and score yourself a great job and that life returns back to normal for you real soon as you deserve it.

Time to head as it's 12.37pm and my eyes are hanging out of my head like those funny comic plastic glasses we wore back when we were kids LOL.

Trish

Pic 1 - Neo. 'Purple Star' pups colouring up
Pic 2 & 3 - Neo. 'Concentrica x'
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Darkest Hour'
Pic 5 - Neo. 'Frivolity'

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I spent quite a productive day here yesterday and deep watered and dead-leafed half of the collection; the other half will get done today hopefully. What a difference a little bit of attention makes.

Teresa – Thanks for the advice on the dog. I've come to the conclusion that the main thing she needs is reassurance; last night when she was asleep in her bed, she didn't see me when I went to bed.

It must have been about 3.00 this morning when I heard her galloping up the hall and into our room; I could hear her tracking with her nose and she came around my side of the bed and just stood quietly for a minute or two listening, and then stood up on the side of the bed, gave my face a quick lick and then went back to her own bed where she still is as I type this (5.30am). It seems to me she must have thought I had left her, and once she was reassured I was still there, all was well again.

Trish – Aren't you and Joe just the busy little bees, flitting here and flitting there?

Just a quick word of advice about Neo.‘Prince of Darkness’ when you say, “I have placed it in some good light in the garden so am keeping an eye on how much darker it will get”. Some of these darker foliage plants need good light to get the dark colour while others need low light to attain the darkness. With some, increasing the light will sometimes cause the colour to bleach out so a close watch is necessary as I don't remember whether this one needs high or low light.

Looking at your pic's now and I haven't seen Neo.'Frivolity' before and straight away I was attracted by the wide leaves and had an inkling it could be a Freeman hybrid and I was delighted that my suspicion was correct. You can almost pick an Allan Freeman hybrid by the wonderful wide thick leaves as it seems to be a signature with many of his hybrids. However as I look at the pic. on the BCR I see yours has a lot of colouring to do yet and eventually will be the unusual beautiful colour shown on the BCR at:
http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=4477#4477

As I look at the pic's my eyes keep returning to the Neo. concentrica cross in pic's 2 and 3; what a beautiful well grown plant with such perfect conformity and clean, fresh, glossy finish. Do you know what the other parent was?

I did a Neo. concentrica cross using (Charm x Cracker Jack) as the second parent and some of the seedlings were so similar you would think they were out of the same grex as yours. The only difference being that mine aren't as well grown as yours; in fact I'll post five example from that cross and ask you to especially compare the plant in Pic.1 with your's, I think the resemblance is uncanny.

That's all for today and the following pic's are all from the same grex of Neo. concentrica x ('Charm' x 'Cracker Jack').

All the best, Nev.

Trish - wow what a full on day you had!
That Neo Concentrica x is gorgeous, I like the other plants pictured but that one is a real stand out.

Nev - talk about genetic diversity... all lovely plants but the last one is so eye catching, but then number 1 is rather nice ...

I can see why people end up with huge collections, too hard to choose favourites so must have them all ;)

I had to smile at your description of Honey's visit to check on you in the middle of the night.
Sugar hates being alone at night so sleeps in her crate in our room now.
Until she has to get up for a loo break...
when we go back to bed she jumps up with me & spends the rest of the night curled up at my feet.

Not what I had in mind when I moved her to our room but she is an opportunist.
Honey sounds far better behaved, Sugar has lots of training for obedience 'tricks' but as a pet, well there's good reason we call her weasel.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Time to start another working week and hopefully I can get back to my garden clean up without any more interruptions.

Teresa - Honey isn't with us any longer, she was a naughty girl and got over the six foot high paling fence to visit the people in the flats two doors away. It was only by chance that my wife heard "scratching" as she was pulling herself over the fence and was able to quickly get her back. I had gone out for a short while and we thought she had maybe tried to follow me, but then in the afternoon when we were both there she escaped again. (I expect she wanted to go home).

I said to my daughter, if she had escaped when my wife wasn't here, I wouldn't have been able to chase her as I can only slowly walk 50m. max and have to stop for a while, and we all agreed that she couldn't stay here.

Anyway, it's all good, as the old bloke's grandson has just returned from a job up north and agreed to baby sit Honey and the old bloke's house while he's in hospital. The thing is, Honey knows the grandson well where she had never seen us until two days ago so I can understand why she left.

My daughter took her back and she said as soon as she got there, she ran madly into the house looking for the old bloke and when he wasn't there she went and laid on his boots near the backdoor, so that's obviously what she wanted.

Anyway she's now back home with the grandson she likes and has known all her life (and he's a dog lover as well) so everything turned out for the best. ...... I love happy endings.

Now back to brom's, and speaking of genetics I grew some seed from an Ae. nudicaulis Aequalis (Pic.1) crossed with an unknown pollen parent (probably done by insects) and pictures 2-5 are a small sample of what I got.

All the best, Nev.

Hi Nev, it's lucky Honey made her break for freedom when she did & you were able to get her back straight away.
I'm sure she'll be happier in her own home although she will probably still be missing her owner.

Love the different colours of those flower spikes.
Looks like the foliage was quite different to the parent for the last one anyway. Or at least different to the known parent.

Had a phone call yesterday asking if I can do a job interview Tuesday.
I was surprised to be contacted on a Sunday but pleased to have got to this stage.
So many times I hear nothing back after applying.

I just hope the Sunday call doesn't mean that the rostered hours will cover the weekends.
I don't want to work Sunday if I can help it but not sure how fussy I can afford to be.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi Teresa - It looks like just you and me today; it seems this forum is going the same way a many of the others where the members are preferring Face Book where they just have to press the "like" button or just give one line answers instead of having an on line discussion.

I am still a member of the "Bromeliad Forum" http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php
and the "Bromeliad Forums Garden Web" http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/bromeliad/
both of which seem to be having the same problem where they have lost members to Face Book.

It seems that people don't mind reading the text and looking at pic's posted by others but are reluctant to post anything themselves. Just to give an example, a couple of weeks back I started a thread "Lets see some pictures" in an attempt to get things going again. This thread is now four pages long and has been viewed 678 times but sadly, there were only posts from about a dozen or so members. I'll still remain a member of these forums though as there's a massive amount of wonderful information and pictures in the archive files and it's worth anyone joining just for this alone.

Anyway, enough whinging from me; on a brighter note, Honey has settled back into her home and is very comfortable living with the old bloke's grandson. The old bloke is also making a great recovery and was up and walking around without assistance yesterday; so it's all good.

Now to see what pic's I can find to finish up with: Pic's 1 and 5 are both hybrids I made from Neo. 'concentrica x 'Painted Lady' (Sport), Pic.2 is Neo.'Midnight Moment', Pic.3 is Vr. hieroglyphica and Pic'4 is Nid. procerum.

All the best, Nev.

ahh the curse of FaceBook...
funny I spend a bit of time there but when I looked at the brom forums I missed the conversational tone of the forum here.

FB has some advantages, you can post pics to an album & people can see all of you photos not just the most recent.
That's about all I can think of as an improvement on DG ;)

just waiting to go catch the bus for my interview.
trying not to be nervous but I like the idea of working for Health 2000, my only concern is what the hours will be.

I'd hate to go back to weekend work but am worried if I turn down a job for that reason I may not find anything better... or at all.

Glad that Honey is happy & it's great news that her owner is recovering well.

Take care - Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

It’s been a big week so far and I can’t wait for the long weekend to get here.

Hi Nev great to hear you had such a productive day in the garden recently; it’s always a great feeling when you realize how much you have accomplished in one day and what a difference it makes. I get up at 4am during the week and spend 1hr working with my broms and what a difference it makes by the end of the week, it’s also a lovely way to wake up doing something you really enjoy.

Nev pleased to hear ‘Honey’ is back home and that her owner is recovering well and is back on his feet again.

Nev yes Joe and I have been real busy little bees of late but our wings are getting tired now and we are looking for somewhere quiet to land and chill for a bit as we have run out of juice ha ha.

Nev thanks for the advice of Neo. ‘Prince of Darkness’, I will keep a close eye on it and see how it travels in the bright light I have given it and hopefully be able to provide feedback on how I go. Also thanks for the link on Neo. ‘Flivolity, although the pic on the BCR is beautiful I kind of do not mind its current color as it has a lot of lilac tones at the moment that appeal to me; but it would be great to grow too differently and compare side by side. Nev in response to your question about Neo. ‘Concentrica’ Cross, unfortunately I do not know who the other parent was. I totally agree I can see resemblances with your ‘Charm x ‘Cracker Jack’; what beautiful specimens they both are.

Nev what interesting combinations you got from the seed you grew from Ae. ‘nudicaulis Aequalis’, isn’t nature wonderful, great pics of all the pretty flower spikes.

Hi Teresa yeah – hope today’s interview went well, probably too early to tell yet though so I will keep my fingers and toes crossed until you hear something and let us know. Yes it’s hard to be fussy when your are really looking for work, maybe once you are in and have been there a while the roaster could change to suit you better, you just never know but it’s early days yet but sure you will find out more during the interview and the hours will work in your favour.

Teresa our pouches sleep in our bedroom too, mostly on our bed; so we all tend to fight for some of the covers and they normally win and tend to rabbit kick us if we take up too much room LOL. They both have the run of the house and pretty much sit wherever they want; we treat them better than we treat ourselves I always tell Joe but we would not have it any other way as they are great for our stress levels and we get great joy having them in our life.

Where is Shirley and Wendy, hope you are both well and look forward to hearing from you sometime soon when you can spare some time.

I cant stop thinking of Jean and her hubby and if you are looking in Jean a BIG HELLO our beautiful friend.

This weekend I am doing the market so am busy organizing after work, if I get home in daylight that is. I have many broms to take as well as succulents and gingers and a couple of orchids so should attract some interest; I am really looking forward to the outing as I so really look forward to chatting with people about broms and gardening and get a real kick out of the day.

Monday night I nearly threw our laptop out the window as I had typed my thread and was trying to attach the last couple of brom pics I was trying to up-load and my computer decided to crash, I swore, spat the dummy and it was too late for me to hop on our other laptop so I just went to bed grumpy as I had a horrid day at work and the computer problems just added to my frustration.

Nev I just read your comments about Facebook, it does nothing for me and I just do not have time for it; this forum I really enjoy and have learnt so much since being here and have made some lovely friends in the process; it’s just a crying shame some of the regular posters are not posting like they used to or not at all; but never the less this forum still exists and I am not giving up on it no matter how busy I get when I can I really look forward to logging on and chatting with the great friends that still do contribute to this forum and know I would be lost without it as it is the only forum I am part of or want to be part of at this stage given how busy life always is.

Trish

Pic 1 - Neo. 'NOID' - any ideas???
Pic 2 - Neo. 'Morado'
Pic 3 to 5 - back garden pics

shellharbour, Australia

Hi Teresa and Trish - It's good to see that the two of you are still posting and joining me as we try to keep this forum alive. Not very pleasant here yesterday with 100+ kilometer hour south west winds. Trees down and plants blown over all over the place. It seems to have abated a bit this morning but still blowing. What's more it's coming up from the snow country and is freezing cold.....bugger.

Teresa - Good luck with the job interview and as Trish says even if the work is on weekends you may be able to get a roster change later down the track. I know that our old boss always put any new starters on the worst possible shift, (to test them out) as he said.

When they seemed as though they were a good prospect, he would then bump them up the ladder to a better shift. Those that couldn't "cut the mustard" usually left of their own accord which he said saved him the trouble of all that paper work if he had to sack them. "A wise old man".

Trish – It's a good chance that what I've recently accomplished in the garden has gone 'up the spout” with the wind and when it stops it will be back to square one again... Oh well, I guess it keeps me off the street and out of the pub doesn't it?

Do you happen to remember where you got that plant of Neo. concentrica x ? It would be interesting to see some pic's of other plants from the same grex, but then it's probably asking for the impossible.

The more seedlings I see where Neo concentrica was a parent, the more I'm convinced of what a great parent it really is. If you open the BCR index (http://registry.bsi.org/) and go to the following link: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php?fields=Parents&id=3063&search=concentrica you'll see just what I mean. You will find 500 registered hybrids from Neo. concentrica; and that's not all, you can find still more if you go into the advanced search, and these are just the registered ones. There must be thousands and thousands of unregistered ones out there as well; a really great parent.

Good luck with your day at the markets – I hope these gale force winds don't reach up as far as your area otherwise you'll need to set up inside a “fort”.

As for laptops, I tried one once but I don't think they were made for my fingers as I kept hitting two or three keys at the same time, so it was back to my old faithful and trusted dinosaur.

Although you say you don't have time to be an active member on the other forums I mentioned yesterday; but it's worth joining just to be able to look at the archives if you get some bad weather and are looking for something to do. If you did decide to become an active member you would find the friendship and camaraderie on both of those forums is just like it was on here before members stopped posting. Any way when I leave here this morning I'm off over to the Bromeliad Forum as there is still a small group of us trying to coax members away from Face Book and back onto the forum once more, we have a few of the originals posting again so that's a good start.

Nice pic's again and I have to ask what is the name of the plant top right in Pic 4? It seems familiar but I can't put a name on it.

Just one picture this morning but it's a beaut. One of Jack Koning's new Vriesea hybrids, Vriesea 'Montezuma's Gem' x 'Milky Way'. Another example of the great work they're doing at Anniesam Bromeliads.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2014 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by splinter1804
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

My laptop is really giving me grief, I think it's on it's last legs and I do not know how much longer it will live before it goes to laptop heaven, it might get there quicker if it keeps not working properly for me as I get so frustrated and annoyed with it and want to hurl it across the room sometimes LOL.

Hi Nev I agree us three (You, Teresa and I) are doing our best to keep this great forum going, sooner or later people will tire from other sites like FB. Too bad for any wish lists I had with anyone where I was keeping pups for some people; it's a bit hard to do so when we do not even communicate anymore and the friendship we were forming has been lost.

Nev what a bugger about all the wind you have been experiencing, trust it has not damaged any of you beautiful broms as that would be a crying shame.

Nev in answer to your question I got the Neo. 'Concentrica' cross from the Malanda Market when we were away but unfortunatley I do not know the name of the person I brought it from as we did not have a great deal of time to spare to chat long with anyone as we were heading home that morning so we could get back in time to pick-up the girls; I do wish that we had more time though so I could have taken peoples names and numbers down because there was many stalls with lovely broms for sale and I did not get to visit them all because we just plum ran out of time; maybe next time. Nev I have not opening the link you kindly provided yet on the 500 Concentrica registered hybrids because I was scared my laptop with crash but will as soon as I finish sending off this thread.

Thanks for the "Good Luck" wishes for this weeks Market, hopefully the winds stay away or I will have to get the winter wollies out LOL. I potted up heaps of succulents this morning; they are the first thing that gets snapped up and normally helps pay for my stall which is great.

Thanks Nev I will have to look into joining other forums when I get the chance, sure they are a wealth of information like you say to look back at the archives etc.

Nev Pic 4 you asked about from yesterday was Neo. 'Takamura x Concentrica Silverdust'; I adore this brom it's got everything going for it and I cannot wait for it to produce pups as one is not enough around the garden as it's just that little bit different to all the others with that silver overtone that totally grabs my attention everytime I'm in the back yard.

Wow Nev that pic you posted of Jack Koning's new Vriesea hybrid is georgeous, it's so depicts a beautiful tropical sunny day and reminds me of that Cocktail "Tequila Sunrise". They create miracles at Anniesam Bromeliads don't they just.

Anyway I must head as need to check work emails before it gets to late or I will forget and will not have time to check until tomorrow evening.

Pic 1 - Neo. Concentriica' cross now out in the garden
Pic 2 - Neo. 'Frivolity' now out in the garden
Pic 3 - Neo. 'Grace' showing nice color
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Purple Gaze' I think?
Pic 5 - far back Neo. 'Exotica Satin' - up front Neo. 'Royal Burgundy' - I adore these ones side by side as the look great together.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

We’re back home again after a week away in the van, staying at Toogoolawah. The days were very warm but the nights quite cold. We took the kids with us but as the van isn’t large enough for four, they slept in the annexe. I will attach a couple of pics of them snuggled up in their beds.

Nev, love the neos in your post of 18/6 from the cross that produced the variegated seedlings, especially pics 3 and 5. And you’re right about the name Sonic Canvey Stripes, thanks for that as I did have it wrongly tagged. That is what happens when I rely on my memory.

I like your description of Honey, “a cross between an American Staffie and a bloody horse”, love the pic of her on the lounge … she looks very content there. Those are gorgeous vrieseas in your post as well.

Teresa, hope your job hunting is going well.

Trish, you certainly lead a busy lifestyle, I doubt very much that I could keep up with you for long. Your neo Frivolity is absolutely stunning.

Nev, pleased to hear that Honey has been able to return to her home and hopefully her owner will be back home soon as well.

Trish, I occasionally look in at Facebook but I have never taken the time to figure out how to use it and I agree with you that this forum is a lot better and certainly a lot friendlier.

Good luck with your sales at the market on the weekend, Trish. I haven’t been to a market in quite a while now and am suffering from market withdrawal as well as brom withdrawal as I haven’t had a chance to spend any time with my broms since we got home.

Nev, it’s really cold here as well and blowing a gale, though it’s nowhere near as blowy or cold as it is there. Love that pic of Vr Montezumas Gem x Milky Way.

Trish, I’m still here and still posting when I can, we had no internet where we were staying. I try to post at least a couple of times a week.

I did take some photos today but I haven’t downloaded them yet so I will just post the pics of the kids

Pic 1 – is snugglepuss Rebel who loves to cuddle up with a nice warm coat and a pile of blankets

Pic 2 – is fashionista Molly who didn’t want any accessories that might clash with her new coat and was less than impressed at being woken up at 8.00 am for a photo shoot.

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Another cold and windy night again last night with more trees down and a couple of blackouts. The huge pine tree in the yard next door to us decided to drop a large branch (about 8” diameter) which landed on the owner's house roof breaking in excess of forty tiles. Fortunately the owner had just gone out otherwise he may have been injured.

Trish – You'd better make that “us five”, I'd forgotten Shirley had gone on one of her little breaks; and we mustn't forget Jean either, although she has a busy time with hubby I'm sure we will hear from her again occasionally.

Regarding that Neo. 'Concentrica' x, could you please put me down for a pup when you get a spare. Why I asked about your Neo. 'Takamura x Concentrica Silverdust' is that I have two different plants with very similar shape and colouring, one is called Takamura x Silverado which I think I may have got from Sue a while back and the other is just named Neo. Takamura x. I'll have to dig out some pic's and post them.

They're great pic's you've posted again but the first two are still my favourites. Your Neo. 'Purple Gaze' (Should be 'Purple Glaze') still has a bit of colouring up to do, and it's a beautiful plant. Neo. 'Royal Burgundy' is also one of my favourites as it's always good as a feature plant and seems to compliment anything which is placed near it.

Shirley – Holidays are nice, but why is it everyone always says, “it's good to be home again”? If it's so good to be home again, why go away in the first place?

I must say “the kids” don't look too happy in their sleeping quarters and would much sooner have swapped places with you and hubby. I think they're trying to say, “why wake us up, we're on holidays too you know” Ha! Ha!

When you get all settled back in again, it would be good to see some pic's of the new tunnel house and its resident plants.

Time to go again and today I'm posting some pictures from 2 years old files. Pic.1 is the 'Takamura' x 'Silverado' I told Trish of, and I must say this is a poor example as I've never been able to accurately capture its colour. Pic.2 only had the name T & D Hybrid. It apparently was bred down the N.S.W. far south coast by and old couple called Ted and Dianne and that's all I know of it. Pic.3 is one I swapped with one of my interstate brom friends and is called Neo. 'Stairway', Pic.4 was a market purchase which just carried the name of Neo. Skotak hybrid and Pic.5 is Neo.'Thunderbird'

All the best, Nev.

nice pics again Nev.
You get an idea of the silvery sheen to the Takamura x Silverado... it's a shame when you can't fully capture the look of a plant in photos.
Neo. Thunderbird has some nice teeth :)

Shirley - the furkids look cosy in their coats.
I can't keep a coat on Sugar unless I supervise her.
Not like my old girl, she would stand at the door & refuse to go out until she was dressed.

Townsville, Australia

Hi everyone. Typing this on my phone. I have a 4am wakeup so cant chat tonight but I will catchup with you all over the long weekend. Cheers. Trish .

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - I say everyone as I still live in the hope that more of our friends will start posting again.

Hi also to anyone on the sick list I hope you're on the improve and will also be posting again soon.

At last the wind's stopped so now the big clean-up starts. I have a friend who has been going to visit to see my collection for years and for various reasons has never made it. Last week we made arrangements for her to visit today and now she will see everything at its worst with mess all over the place, but hopefully not many damaged brom's.

I couldn't do anything yesterday as it was still too windy here and besides it was Thursday (Museum Day) and we had problems there also with trees down throughout the grounds but fortunately no damage to the rail track.

Teresa - It's very true what you say; there's some plants that I just never seem to be able to capture accurately with my camera. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I'm no photographer.

What you say about my Neo.'Thunderbird' is true, it does look viscous with those teeth, but they aren't what they seem, they are what I call “soft spikes” and seem to bend away when touched rather than stick into you; a lot of Nidulariums have similar “teeth”.

Trish – I just can't imagine typing on a phone, I tried a laptop once and kept hitting three keys at once on that so how can you do it on a phone? I'd be hitting ten keys at a time.

I'll finish up today with another of Jack's Vrieseas that he recently posted. I really like the nice pale pink overlay with the reds leaf tips; something a little different.

All the best, Nev,

Thumbnail by splinter1804
shellharbour, Australia

Well it seems there's no one here this morning and I'm not yet to the stage of writing to myself so I'll just bid anyone watching, "Hi" and "Goodbye" and hopefully there'll be someone to talk to tomorrow.

All the best, Nev.

barmera, Australia

Hi everyone, yes, I've been AWOL again. Nev gave me a bit of a nudge and told me to get back where I belong.lol How is everyone going? We are fine over here but boy is it cold. Had some nasty winds all last week and they're still here today. One thing about the broms though, they just hunker down and sail through the Winter still pupping along. My son was up for a visit last weekend and he brought me up a 4'x4'x1' Aquarium with a light in it. I have put all my Tillandias in it with a cute little fountain and logs and ornaments. Will go out and take a pic so that I can show you. All the large cacti have now gone to there new home, still some smaller ones in pots to go but boy has it opened a nice space up the back for me. He still has lots of rocks to get and after that I will decide what I'm going to do with the space. I thought that it might be good to get all the kids stuff up there, basket ball hoop etc. and it might stop them from trampling my plants in the garden. Well, I will pluck up the courage to go outside and take some pics. See you after. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.