Looking for tree suggestions

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi all,

My neighbor recently built a walled patio area off the south side of his house and is looking for shade trees to plant along the outside of the wall. He has a few pre-existing mesquites, but the majority of the area is unshaded and he needs trees that won't undermine his wall when they get larger. Anybody know what trees have less aggressive root systems? I have been looking a bit, but most of the information I see is for less arid areas so the trees probably wouldn't do well here. I figure someone here has had experience with this.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

If your neighbor wants a BIG tree, I would suggest the TIPU tree. They are fast growing, not too messy, and after getting well established they require a good soaking just once a week or so. But they do get BIG over time. In the warmer climits they don't drop their leaves in the winter. If he is looking for smaller trees that are pretty but not so big, perhaps the Crape Myrle would work. I have 2 of them. One in the ground and one in a LARGE pot. Both are doing very well. They can be kept trimmed as a bush or a tree. They drop their leaves during the winter, but they bloom very nicely. I would suggest a multi trunked crape Myrle for more of a tree shaped effect and a fuller top.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.