Baby Mourning Dove on Front Porch Railing

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I don't know much about birds, hope you don't mind this question.
We have Mourning Dove nests in our front yard - lots of birds come around.
One nest was in a spruce right by our front door and we could look in and
see the mother there everyday.
Today one of the babies was dead on the driveway.
Later in the day I saw another young one in the front flower bed on the ground
with the mother. Looked tired and breathing heavy. Now, 8 in the evening
and getting dark it is on the front porch railing, seems it can fly since I'm not
sure how else it got there. Is it probably okay, or should I try to help it at all.
Don't see the mother around now. Looks like it might be trying to sleep,
head is tucked in down.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

Baby is gone now, spent 3 or 4 hours on the front porch, don't know where it went.

(Zone 5a)

Mourning Doves are among my favorite birds. I have a soft spot for them. They can be feisty when setting up territories, but otherwise, they seem so gentle.

Maybe they were ill?? I really cannot say, or maybe a cat got the one. Cats that are fed and let outdoors will still kill, even if they do not eat their prey. Maybe the one is still around. The young will stay with their parents for about a month, so maybe they found a safer place. When birds seemingly disappear, I tend to hope for the best since I do not know for sure.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure what happened and I'm not at home right now but I will look around later when I get home. I've also enjoyed watching them for many years, since the mid 1980s when in our first home.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I saw it today walking on the railing, it does come back to a spot very close to
the nest. I did also see it fly away, looks to be doing just fine.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

OK, this is strange. I saw both the female and male from the first babies and they were rather large. Now there is a new rather small Mourning Dove hanging around and then I saw it sitting on the nest, the same nest, with babies. Is it possible that the last baby is able to produce eggs only about a month after leaving the nest? I seriously doubt it but ....? Probably a new bird just reclaimed the nest?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Young one should not be laying eggs yet. It might try to return to the nest to roost. Or you have two types of doves, and the smaller species is recycling the nest.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

The eggs are now babies, there are 2 in the nest and the mother is certainly a mourning dove just smaller than the last one. Yes probably another one borrowing the nest.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

The two babies made it this time and they were hanging around a lot after they left the nest about a month or two ago. No sign of them now. I've decided that I don't like them so close to the house and pooping all over the front porch so I removed the nest that was reused at least once or twice. I'm going to remove it in the spring if they try to build another one.

I'd really like to keep the birds and squirrels off the front porch, got a plastic owl, anything else that works well?

I do enjoy watching them, just don't like them so close to the house.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.