How cold tolerant are most coleus...Zn 5 question

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello all you Coleus Gurus out there!

I have over a 100 coleus plants in 4" pots that I grew from cuttings for my Garden Club plant sale. Here in New England it's still getting down to about 40 overnight some nights. I want to start hardening these off, since our plant sale is in 3 weeks, and I also need to get them out of my house! I know some plants can stunt if they're exposed to temperatures that are too cold, even though it doesn't kill them. I'd like to move these out to a full shade position, and slowly start giving them am and evening sun to work them up to full sun, but I am worried about the temps - Should I be, or can I put them out?

Thank you oh Gurus!

Jennifer

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't. They don't like anything under 50 at all.

I'd hate to risk them to the cold.

Not a guru but definitely a coleus lover,
Arlene

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Forget about stunting their growth. If it goes below 45 degrees, plan on losing them. It happens, even to sturdy, bushy coleus.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Rosy Dawn Gardens where I buy my coleus, says coleus need protection if the temp will go below 40. I have found that to be true in my own yard as well. Hope this helps.

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll wait a bit since we've got a few more nights that are forecast to be around 40.

:-)

Jennifer

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Good idea, Jen. Here in the Northeast, I've seen garden centers lose their coleus in the low 40s.

There will always be variables, such as how long the temperatures stay that low, etc.

Marcia

Mount Laurel, NJ

I thought Rosy Dawn said not to subject coleus to temps below 60 degrees. Maybe that means for first planting them. I try not to put mine out until temps are MOSTLY 60 DEG at night, but invariably the temps will then dip to 57 or so and then I cover them if they are still pretty new at being out.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

You are correct, coleus lover. I only remembered the part where they say 40* will damage your plants!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Mine have been outdoors for more than 2 weeks, even if it goes into the low 50s at night.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Same here. I can take indoor care for just a limited amount of time and then they have to get outside. So far, so good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.