Iris starting to bloom here ...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The first to bloom is Blue Kentucky Girl (I think).

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow ! Blue beards , too ! very nice !..Arlyn

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Arlyn. It's nice to see some blue blooms. :)

South Hamilton, MA

Nothing blooming here as yet (sigh)

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Beautiful blue, I love the blues and purples and that blue is stunning.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much. It is a sight for winter-weary eyes. Here they are this morning. Sorry for a bit of glare - shooting out the window. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
South Hamilton, MA

Great top be looking out the window & see the lovely flowers,

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

I agree, how lovely to look out the window and see those.

South Hamilton, MA

early species pumilas have put up a few flowers. They are just a few inches tall, so have to go out to the garden to see them.

Philadelphia, PA

My Standard Bearded Dwarf irises started to bloom today. The tall bearded are a few weeks later.
But, you never with this crazy weather. I heard the temperature will be in the 80s later in the week.

The new seedlings are growing like weeds and I can't wait to cross the irises again.

Lucy how much planning goes into your hybridizing? I found myself thinking about new crosses when the irises were buried under 2 foot of snow in winter.
Mit

Concord, NC

My 'KENTUCKY COAL' opened today to go with Cville_Gardeners' 'BLUE KENTUCKY GIRL', my son bought this 3 years ago from Willow Bend farm in CO..and it has since become one of our favorite irises on the property.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
South Hamilton, MA

pumilas starting to bloom.

I think when you start hybridizing, it is sort of hit & miss. Now I have 2 SDB projects, red amoenas & pink. I have several MTB siblings & I have to try & figure out which traits, especially color, they carry.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That 'Kentucky Coal' is gorgeous, Mike. I've never seen that one.

You that hybridize make me envious. I want to do that but life has gotten in the way.

Concord, NC

Yeah my Son likes it as he bought but he is not as fond of it as I am.. so I consider it mine :-) I call it the 'Velvet one' with the neat blue horns..I dont have the patience to hybridize and dip pollen with Iris or Daylilies either..as I cant wait like 3 years to see them bloom im very impatient.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Cville and themikesmom, your Irises are beautiful, such rich colours!!

I've got some blooms on mine now too (they popped yesterday).. the thing is, I have no idea which ones they are; can someone help me please? These are my first Irises ever, they were a gift from some customers at work last year.. they gave them to me instead of trashing them like they wanted to. They were all done blooming when they were given to me, so this is my first look at their blooms. They have a gently sweet scent. Any ideas, please? Oh, and they're nearly 5' tall, too. Thanks! :)

Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous photos all!

I noticed my earliest bloomer has raised buds today! I will post pics when they open. I believe it's Minidragon.

Concord, NC

Hi Speediebean,
That Beautiful Tall Brownish Plicata you have their looks Amazing! Love the tall ones! I am Getting one this Summer that looks very very similar but I dont know if it gets as tall as it is registered at 44 inches, but I have some that are registered at 42in that get 52 inches+ so im wondering if that could be it. 'Belvi Queen' is also supposed to be a reliable Fall rebloomer, thats another reason we ordered it, because we have not had much luck with any other rebloomers.. and are hoping this will be the one. The nice Fall brown-orange color is an added bonus. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/129781/

Thank you Themikesmom, after perusing the plant files, I do believe you're right, that sure looks like her! Will do some more researching when I get home from work today, to learn if I need to do anything to get her to rebloom this fall. Thank you! =)

P.S. She's MUCH more open today, will get new pics. :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, speedie, yours are looking good too.

I just planted a few 'Pallida dalmaticas' and 'Rosy Wings'. The weather has turned HOT ... it was 88° yesterday and predicted to be close to that for the next few days. Guess I'll be watering everything well today and looking for rain this coming weekend.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

More photos from today ...

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice photos, everyone ! Medians are blooming, here, but I see a few stalks coming on the early TBs....Arlyn

Oh Cville, how lovely!! I've got another Iris in the other bed that just has buds at the moment... it's a blue and yellow one (don't remember her name). I'll share pics when she pops. For now, Belvi Queen is definitely what I've got in the other bed... LOTS of 'em! < =D

Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very lovely, speedie. I bet they are a real show stopper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.