Topbar hives

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

I took my first class on beekeeping a few weeks ago and am thinking of going with the topbar hives anyone else here using topbar hive.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

one of these days my DH is going to build one. In the meantime we are wrangling 6 langstroths
Have you decided whether you are going to do a top bar? Most folks in my area aren't too interested because you can't get much honey from them due to size limitations. You can build up on a Langstroth but you can't add on to a Top Bar, you have to build a new, longer one.

Yes Im doing topbar I just need honey for the 2 of us. ill be starting with 2 hives the Langstroth do give you more honey but I need to beable to handle this on my own and lifting an 80lb (give or take) box full of bees & honey in not going to happen.
Hubby will build the hives for me and help set things up but when it comes to handling the bees he wants no part ...lol

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

It's my 4th year and I LOVE my TBH over my Langs. My reasons, it's easier to work with. There are few to no squished bees like there are when sliding Langs back together. If you have a window you can do a lot more spot inspection with less disruption to the bees. My number one reason, no boxes to stack!

Idy_gardnermd
The window will be in place for spot checking & so the grands can watch the bees at work I can't wait to get started but have been told i won't beable to get bees till next spring :(

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't know what the blooming season is like in Texas, so I have no idea when your nectar flow is. Here in MD most order their packages in Jan/Feb and they arrive (weather dependent) from the south (usually Georgia) in late April/May (my last package arrived Monday due to weather in Georgia). Our nectar flow, the bulk of it anyway, happens (again weather based) late May-June with Black Locust and Tulip Poplar trees.

If your nectar flow hasn't started, or is more steady and sort of year round I would think you could get bees this year. If it's already passed you are best waiting to get them next spring. Make sure you start with 2 packages in 2 hives, that is the BIGGEST mistake I made. It is a life saver (for the bees) to have brood and eggs available if you need them.

Thumbnail by ldy_gardenermd

most years our spring (summer) starts late feb./ early march .. (we have 2 seasons Summer & Winter) lol this year has been crazy cool weather like a real spring. I was just listening to my brother who told me it was to late for me to find any bees hes 3 hours south of me with his bees. So I haven't pushed Hubby to build hives yet

heres a year of beekeeping in East Texas
http://www.etba.info/ETBA%20Monthly%20Guide%20Book.pdf

This message was edited May 23, 2014 9:46 PM

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow..60 in January, I can't imagine ;) Yes I'd work on getting the hives done and ready and then plan to order your bees as soon as possible. Make sure you have everything you need a head of time and plan to get hooked because once you have them around, it's hard to imagine life without them!

thanks for the heads up ... :) I have been talking bees for a few years time to get everything set to go ..

Katy, TX(Zone 9a)

I live in Katy (Houston) and have a TBH in my backyard (Homeowners Association didn't ask and I didn't tell). I purchased my package from R. Weaver apiaries (rweaver.com) in Navasota, Grimes County. I bordered my bee package in January and picked them up in March. I got the All-Americans. The bee farm was helpful and has a real good reputation. I suggest that you check them out.

thank ou Dat60A3 there are 2 Weavers in Navasota have you delt with both of them ?
I have no HA to deal with im 35 miles from town out in the woods.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Is anyone doing the topbar but using standard frames? What do you do differently for topbar vs standard?

standard frames wont fit in a topbar hive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.