Do you know my name?

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, I'm new to iris and am hoping to ID a purple one I have divided. They all were clumped in one bed, and weren't blooming as good as I thought they should be, so I divided them last summer, and what a show I have had so far this spring! Anyway, now I have LOTS to share with friends, and am going to my first roundup soon, so I was hoping to find a proper ID for them. Up until now they have been "purple iris" and "yellow iris".. Very sophisticated, LOL!

The first one, pics 1,2,3 is purple with yellow in the center, I think it's a TBI?? Really I have no idea so that's just a guess..

Pics 4,5 are a gift from a buddy and she said they are Louisiana iris and are twice as tall as the purple ones. 4+ feet tall on those!!

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Concord, NC

I cant help you with the Yellow LA one, but your 1st appears to be WILLIAM A. SETCHELL by Brehm 1938. it is known for its large billowy blooms which are much bigger than those of Lent A. Williamson which is similar but not billowy, and WILLIAM A. SETCHELL has white tipped yellow horns just like yours. I believe it was named after a professor of plants from Connecticut that was also an iris hobbyist. heres my pic, my son recieved this one from C and T iris in Colorodo, they are the only ones I know of who carry the true verified authentic form one available for sale. Also W.A.S smells like black licorice root..if your is still in bloom it should atleast have a faint licorice fragrance

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36971

This message was edited May 1, 2014 2:35 AM

Thumbnail by themikesmom
(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Well I just googled it and WAS definitely looks like it, I will go test the blooms with my sniffer when the weather warms up a little. Thanks for the info :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.