quercus robur concordia

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

any change in h@ll that I might be able to successfully grow in z9a? would q. robur aurea be better?

thanks. I am looking for a light colored foliage tree, pref. an oak.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

As one who gardens in z4 Wisconsin, I try not to offer advice to those in z9 Texas. While I don't know how either of these English oaks will perform in your climate, I did consider planting 'Concordia' last year and did a bit of research on it. One consideration that was mentioned in just about everything I read was that 'Concordia' prefers to be shielded from scorching afternoon sun, which I'm assuming you would have. Can you offer a spot with morning sun and afternoon shade? That would seem to be a good place to start in determining if this tree is right for you. Hopefully others with more practical experience will chime in.

Thank you for ur reply. I don't expect those who frequent this forum to know everything about every tree everywhere but I know people move around an a former Texan might now be a staunch Winconsinian (or whatever) and might have some insight regarding my question.

Fact is, I did plant a q. Robur Concordia in shade last fall and it idid well but it's dead now. I suspect I overwatered the small tree so decided to ask I this forum b4 I plop more $. The person I got it from is very reliable and said it would grow here in shade, but just wanted more opinions. I lurk in this forum and always enjoy input, even when it doesn't apply to me.

So chime in and let me know what you think.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Concordia didn't make it for me in St Louis.
I always blame it on humidity, but who knows...

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi vossner. I used to live in Dallas, now in Seattle. I think your area usually has clayey soils, sometimes drainage problems. How about a Willow Oak Q. phellos? It has light leaves, turns yellow in fall and it is pretty (I think).
Check out this link for options:
http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/ViewAllTrees.aspx

Hello former Dallasite! I grow q . Phellos and love it. DH likes only oaks and pecans. I was trying to get off the beaten path and find lesser known quercus that could do well here. I am crazy about golden foliage so finding something with both elements would be a dream. Thanks for your suggestion, it is a good one.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

There are an awful lot of oaks native to Texas - common and quite uncommon. Your DH surely doesn't have ALL of them yet. There might even be some obscure off-color cultivars available of some of them...

I'm not too proud to ask, VV:

Do you have a reference book where I can look this up ? I never meant to imply I grow every oak Known to man. In fact, we grow what most everyone here grows and I'm trying to be a little imaginative but need a little direction.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No offense intended, and I did mean to offer direction by mentioned the myriad TX oaks to try. There should be some sense of possibility - and likely success - with most of them.

Try this resource on for size - you've paid for it with tax dollars.

http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf

You can find more information here - and maybe make membership a gift to the old curmudgeon...

http://www.oaknames.org/search/index.asp
http://www.oaknames.org/search/displayState.asp?state=Texas

Thank you so much, I will study those references carefullu

Whew! A slow time to go over these. The first one is GR8. Only thru p. 20

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, informative site on Oak trees. It looks like maybe 4 or 5 I'd try if I lived by Houston, There is Laurel Oak, Swamp Laurel Oak, Texas Red Oak and Vasey Oak looks really cool but it's not in your immediate area of Tx. Bluejack Oak also looks interesting for you.
Will

We grow laurel (new ) various reds. Will I'll ck ones u mention. It is. Great website indeec

There's also Overcup Oak, Sand Post Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Water Oak, Cherrybark Oak, Shumard Oak, Swamp Post Oak, Bastard Oak (who doesn't want a tree named Bastard Oak AND it's not common?), Post Oak, Black Oak and Southern Live Oak.

I was looking. @ black oak -- seemed interestinh

Neat, Black Oak is a neat tree. I think I'd try Texas Live Oak just to say I had one. It looks like an incredible evergreen Oak tree. It isn't native to that part of Texas that site says, but it'd be worth a try.
Will
p.s. It's on page 28 or about one fourth the way down if you scroll, on that Fed Oak site - http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.