CLOSED: May Chat ... Flowers are blooming!

I am here!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Me Too!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Kris, I like those KFC planters, and your butterfly station.

Crystal, glad to hear you have a good neighbor.

They are so great as I get them free from all Ralph's drivers! And The clear top make a perfect mini greenhouse.

Free is good, Elfie! I use any takeout containers that have a clear cover as mini greenhouses. They work great! and if they are small enough to sit on a window sill, I can double my growing space in the kitchen.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

So glad the only thing that was hurt or destroyed was a tree and it didn't get anything else...whee, great to have neighbors with big equipment for sure. The storms have been horrible. Well the cold is suppose to leave us tomorrow thank goodness. Down to 37 tonight but then tomorrow warm up and some sunshine.

Nova on public tv is running a program on the journey of the butterflys and it is amazing! Sadly the trees in Mexico where they are over-wintering is being destroyed by logging. If you have not seen it, it is AMAZING!

Just got home from Birmingham. I am tired!! Ralph is home today and is smoking some ribs. This is new to him so I hope it turns out good.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

My two hummingbirds are keeping me busy this year. Since it's been so dry here already they're depending on me more than usual. I still haven't put my veggies into dirt, but I put them in some standing water and they're growing like crazy so I'm afraid to move them!

How has everyone fared with the recent weather events?

I hope everyone is fine. Carey you are already dry? I hope we don't do that again. My hostas are hanging on but the tree sucks all the moisture and hostas are really suffering. Guess I need to get my hummingbird feeders out. So far we have had good moisture. DH even found 2 morel mushrooms!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yum ... morels. I should go out hunting for them. ♥

No hummingbirds sighted yet but should be anytime.

Our weather has been somewhat rainy lately ... and cool. But it will warm into the 80s for the coming week. It's getting warm enough to plant some greens in the raised planter. I've got a few bulbs to plant, a peony, some iris and some daylilies. Need to clean some beds and sow some seeds. But life keeps getting in the way. lol.

And the azaleas are in full bloom now. So are the dwarf crested iris. ♥

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Gorgeous Azaleas and Iris! What is the other flower? Phlox? Very pretty. Haven't seen any Hummers here yet either, but I am sure it won't be long. Maybe the harsh winter kept them South longer. I don't have my feeders up yet, I guess I better do that! Add that to the LONG and getting longer list of things to do! lol

This message was edited May 3, 2014 7:26 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Nanny23. That is Phlox 'Chattahoochee'. I love that blue. :)

I am a big fan of blue flowers!

Beautiful flowers in bloom!
I have a bunch of wild daisies in the yard, and a few of my roses are blooming. They would be doing better but I can't keep the darn cutter ants out of them!

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very nice, LK. Do you know which rose that is?

I don't know. I buy one or two new roses every year, but I am so bad at keeping them labeled. Dogs like to steal the tags!

My dogs steal tags also! It is tuff when I go to the hosta bed.

Beautiful pics Debra. Iris aren't blooming quite yet. Saw a couple on a south facing bank that is a little micro climate.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Joyce, who is Debra? :-o)

Oh my gosh.. We had a blast today. Kaitlyn, who used to be Goober but says she is too old for that name now, Crystal and I pkayed with oaint, went shopping, ate pizza and laughed lije silly kids all day. We made plant stands, and a huge dragonfly to hang on Crystals tree. I will try to post a good picture, but Kaitlyn took more videos than pictures and you cannot post videos on DG.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

All the pictures just look wrong from my phone. Sigh...

rofl...I meant Cville and Linda Kay, Debra is Joes Wife..LOL sorry. Gotta remember I have been up since 4:30am, I am not use to that any more..

Love the pics Elfie, I just turned the computer sideways, no problem. Looks like you guys had so much fun. What a cool dragonfly.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Fun pics Elfie....my phone pics come out sideways all the time!

I love seeing all your flowers....I've got some crocus and that's it right now!

My hummers are not back yet - I have so many ruby throated one that I sometimes have to put out two or three feeders. I love watching them!

I hope the april showers we got do bring some may flowers....but it's gonna need to warm up soon - we haven't been making it into the high 50's yet!

You guys should see the videos, there were alot of moment's that needed severe editing...lol. Actually it is a good thing that you can not see them. I sound so hill billy! And silly.

Love the pictures Kris. Looks like you had a great time!

Always do with Kaitlyn and Crystal!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's so great!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love the photos too. ♥♥♥

Awe,, thanks everyone. I had a great time. But today was not so great. Gryphon had to go to the hospital. His acne is so bad that he actually was in danger of getting a brain infection. Lucky this time the infection did not enter his tear ducts to his eyes. However he will have to have a very expensive treatment at the end of the summer. If it works he will never have acne again. But he will not be able to get in any sunlight for 6 weeks after the treatment. Also it may not be covered by insurance, so Ralph and I are going to try to find the money to pay for it.

The pimples or cysts get as large as marbles, are very painful and sometimes kind of link together to make sores up to an inch or two across. It was bad enough that he is so shy already,, now he just hates for people to see his face. Poor baby. He is coming to live with us this summer and wants to work with his POPA,,, I am not sure if they will allow it now. Sigh..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I pray they will. He needs you two.

Sure hope that med is covered by insurance, and I pray it works for him!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Ditto -- I am sending all the positive energy I have your way elfie!

Oh my heart just breaks for him. That is so tough on kids.
Fingers crossed on the insurance, you would think since it causes infection and hospital visits that the insurance would pay for it just to stop it before something much worse happens!

Thanks guys,, no news yet from the insurance company. We will muddle through. Got to get back outside,, getting hot already.

I am still trying to get all my veggies in the ground!! Also built a new garden bed today. I think I will plant annuals all around my apple trees, that way both get watered at the same time! I still have to finish my new herb pots. I will post a link for the pictures this week. I got up at 5am and got started before it got to hot. Done for the day at 10:30am. I am whooped!!

Anyone else working today??

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I worked outside some yesterday. It's warm here but the humidity is very low. ♥ I have a number of daylilies that i need to get planted but I did get the iris all planted. Need to scatter some seeds too. Gardening is never caught up. lol.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Love your blooms!

Our prickly pears have already bloomed here.

Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pretty, Linda. I always look forward to the Opuntia blooms.

I just got the daylilies potted up and did some watering. It's already 75° so I'm done outside for the day. We're having a heat snap. :)

I potted up 48 cucumber plants, 24 pickling cucumber bushes, 24 yellow zucchini, 48 marigolds. Finished my herb stand, transplanted 8 ginko seedling trees, started a bed for the snow peas in the shade, potted up a zillion mammoth Sunflower seedling,, ( thank very to a very badcat!!) potted up 3 new varieties of Dahlias, moved the chicks pen, started some laundry, and cleaned the kitchen,,,, going back to bed now,,lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

What are you doing with all the things you potted up, Kris? Going to a swap?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.