Saucer Magnolia

East Bridgewater, MA

Is this a saucer magnolia? They are in bloom everywhere up here right now.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - Magnolia × soulangeana.

East Bridgewater, MA

Could I have a taxonomy lesson on hybrids? I don't understand the x between the names. I would if both names seemed to be at the same hierarchy (like nigra x sylvestrus for a weird pine hybrid) but magnolia seems like a level above soulangeana.

Am I crazy? (pertaining to just this inquiry, mind you)

East Bridgewater, MA

Hey VV, you dropped the ball on this post. lol.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm looking forward to the taxonomy lesson too...just sitting here in class...waiting...wondering if the Kentucky Derby has anything to do with the Teacher's absence...

Yeah, our little horse race distracts one a bit from the forums.

And to answer the second question first: yes, you are crazy - mostly due to northeastern affinity, not the plant questions.

I am not a taxonomist, but I'll try to approximate one here.

Let's take the plant described above for an example. Magnolia × soulangeana is the scientific/botanical/Latin binomial applied to Saucer Magnolia, which is a species name designated to plants derived from the cross between the two parent species Magnolia denudata and Magnolia liliiflora.

Magnolia denudata is the seed parent, with pollen supplied by Magnolia liliiflora.

So, instead of writing Magnolia denudata × Magnolia liliiflora for every Saucer Magnolia out there - since the offspring are stable and reproducible - taxonomists provided the hybrid species name of Magnolia × soulangeana to represent these plants.

This hybrid origin species came from the Soulange-Bodin garden in France, which first flowered in 1826. It has been around a little while.

You most need a bit of literature in which to immerse yourself, which should include plant naming protocols as well as a bit of plant morphology terms. Would that be a stretch for a Bay Stater?

Outstanding...thank-you very much! I'm signing up for the next lecture too.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Is there a Teacup Magnolia that can be grafted onto a Saucer Magnolia??

;-)

Lol...brilliant Resin!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Neefman. I feel your pain with the nomenclature difficulties. I have also been trying to learn. This past winter I spent an evening online at Barnes and Nobles-they link to about a zillion used book stores. I ended up ordering used textbooks of Horticulture, Plant Propagation etc. Mostly I chose the not quite up do date editions, as they were much cheaper, and I doubt things have really changed that much! I also ordered a bunch of old keys like "Fruit Key and Twig Key", and "Winter Botany" that I used when I was young. What a blast from the past. Of course I got carried away and got other books like "Lives of Conifers" by a retired Forestry professor. Only people like us would find this interesting, but he had loads of photos of every part of the trees, close ups and long shots, and all stages of development.
I spent almost $200 by the time I was done (Aagh), but I got a shelf full of books *o/* (that's a cheerleader icon).

Well, you obviously don't need any help now - but for future, er, reference...don't be shy about asking some old codgers here about acquiring texts.

I can't even count any more how many different books I've accumulated over about 30 years trying to slake my thirst - and many in the same manner as how you've described, only we didn't have the online ease by which to do it.

Many older texts are meatier in the information, though lighter on full color imagery. I think both are good to have and at some point necessary - though neither replaces getting out to see and handle the real thing. Tote some books along with you, for good measure.

I like that icon...

East Bridgewater, MA

Excellent thread everyone. I understand it now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.