I have a question about fertilizing

Centerfield, UT

If I use Miracle-Gro AV soil with fertilizer in it, how often should i use additional fertilizer when watering? Would I be better off making my own potting mix and fertilize each time I water. My space is limited so I also have question about going to wick watering and fertilizing. So many questions. Help, please.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Linda,
We all have different opinions.I prefer to make my own mix or use one without fertilizer added.Post any questions here and I'm sure someone will chime in.

Centerfield, UT

Thanks Lynn

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Paul

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi Paul.^_^ .

Many people here wick and most use some form of soilless mix or doctored up purchased mix.Some fertilize with every watering,usually 1/8 tsp per gallon,sometimes 1/4.There are so many mixes,fertilizer and wicking methods,also mat watering.Just ask away and others will help.

Lynn

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow. What a whopper of a tomato! Paulgrow isn't just a name! I grew 3 different varieties from seed, my DH planted them last week and then we had a terrible downpour with wind and killed half of them. Usually have them planted in late march and they are quite good sized by now, but the weather had been too cool. Guess I'll get a few plants at the store and start some more seeds.

I find it hard to find a soil mix without fertilizer added anymore, so I just rarely fertilize now. Mostly I just use water. I always add more perlite to any mix I buy. I used to "doctor" up my soilmix, but I've gotten lazy and just buy any bag of houseplant soil usually at Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart and pour some in a plastic bin, stir in some perlite until I'm happy how it looks.

Just my opinion, anytime I wick water, I want the potting mix to be lighter, with more air, and to hold less water, so I add extra amount of perlite to my soil that I use for wicking. I might suggest if you are going to wick your plants, to just try one or two so you can see how they do, and if the soil is not too wet. Some plants are okay with the soil holding more water, other plants don't like to be too wet. Just experiment a bit and if you see a plant not doing well, don't wait to change its condtions.

Everyone grows a little differently. We enjoy helping others to grow and enjoy plants. You will find your way too.

tish

Centerfield, UT

Thanks for the input, tish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.