Spring Plant Swap 2014 in Lucketts, VA - Part 2

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The first thread was getting long. This is Part 2 for any and all general discussion associated with the Spring Plant Swap 2014 at Aspen Hill, my home in Lucketts, VA.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347015/#new

--------------------------------------

Swap details (copied from Part 1)
I am volunteering to host a 2014 spring plant swap at Aspen Hill - my home in Lucketts, VA.
Event Date is May 31. Primary swap time will be between 11:00 and 4:00, but please come as early and stay as late as you want. Mark your calendars!

As usual, any and all general discussion (to include general haves/wants discussions) are done on these threads:
Part 1: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347015/ (last post Apr 30)
Part 2: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1358403/ (current)

Separate SPECIFIC CONSOLIDATED HAVE & WANT lists (one entry per person) thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347379/

Separate FOOD POT LUCK list thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1358329/

Gift exchange table - if you wish to participate in the gift table, bring something for exchange. The gifts are usually extra or unwanted items from your gardening supplies, books, household decor, etc... Nothing fancy, and definitely not anything expensive :) We'll make it easy by pulling names out of a jar.

List of who plans to attend:
Blossomgiver and friend
Buttoneer (Judy) and husband Bobbin
Catbird423 (Robin)
Catmint20906 (Robin)
Chantell (Chantell) and friend
coleup (Judy)
crickethillct (Vicki)
critterologist (Jill) and daughter Joyanna, friends Theresa, and maybe Tom, Martina
donnerville (Sally)
gardadore (Jessica)
Gitagal (Gita) and friend Tammy
greenthumb99 and ecnalg (David and Pat) and sister Julie, friends John and wife, friend from Takoma Park
happy_macomb (Devon)
Jan23 (Jan)
Muddy1 (Susan)
Ric_of_MAF and HollyAnnS (Ric and Holly)
Roses_R_Red (Teri) and husband Bob
rubyw (Ruby and John)
sallyg (Sally) and husband Mark
Sequoiadendron4 (Jeff) and wife Darcy
Sos07
ssgardener (Terri)
typwc (Karen), and husband Sean, son August, daughter Adele
UMD_Terp (Paul)
unomeemaw (Cheryl)

This message was edited May 29, 2014 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspen, Mike and his brother sound very handy! :-)

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Terri, so far, Gardadore (Jessica) and my DH Bob will be coming with me.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Teri, that will be wonderful! I met Gardadore at a swap a few years ago - I think it was Holly's.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

we're off to a great start, for sure! lots of fun folks planning to come, lots of plants changing virtual hands ahead of the actual mad scramble at the swap... wheeeee!

Joyanna will be with me, maybe just for part of the day. Any other kids coming? :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, about the sturdiness of the arbors at Aldi's... great for clems, definitely need extra support (t-stakes behind) for roses, honeysuckle, etc, wouldn't even try a wisteria on it... it's held together with spot welds. You could make it sturdier by wrapping the joins with wire, but I bet Wisteria would bend the metal.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I think you're right, Terri, about RRR and Gardadore being at Holly and Ric's swap. I know we were looking for them for some plant exchanges that day.

If the rain ever stops, David is hoping to make it to one of the big garden centers to find us another clematis. When he went to order last night on line, they were out of what we wanted.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

"If" the rain ever stops -- you are right -- it seems it might never stop....

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Roses and Gardadore it will be so great to see both of you again!

This message was edited Apr 30, 2014 9:33 AM

We'll be happy to see all of you also!! Jessica will probably post her offerings when she's gone thru her beautiful extensive gardens. I might have more if my winter sow is successful!

Thanks Critter. Sounds like it definitely needs to be a DIY project for the wisteria.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I forgot to ask: Will they be having a raffle table like they do at the seed swap?

One more thing. Bobbin is coming, too! Dunno about Fritzie though?

This message was edited May 18, 2014 4:34 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Judy, thanks for reminding me - I had forgotten about that. I think everyone likes a raffle table, so I yes, lets have one. I'll add it to the swap info post.

Holly & Cricket, just wanted to make sure--is the Mayapple you have to share the native mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum? Thanks!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Sorry to say this, but the official word is that I'm not gonna be able to make it. =( There's just not enough of us at work to spread ourselves around, and as that is my "officially scheduled" day to work, I would REALLY muck up the works by not being there. I'm so sorry guys, I really wanted to see you all!! < =(

boooooooo! :-(

Holly/Ric, did you want one of my Asclepias currasavica?

SSG, just wanted to double check, is your raspberry plant Rubus idaeus or is it another kind?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I just edited the top post to include information about a gift exchange table. Buttoneer brought it up yesterday, and it reminded me that I had forgotten to include it:

Gift exchange table - if you wish to participate in the gift table, bring something for exchange. The gifts are usually extra or unwanted items from your gardening supplies, books, household decor, etc... Nothing fancy, and definitely not anything expensive :) We'll make it easy by pulling names out of a jar.

Catmint, it's a common cultivar from HD, so I'm not sure if it's a hybrid.

Thanks SSG. It looks like idaeus is the common one. :-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, can I try and root your black pussy willow again? The cuttings from two winters ago did not make it.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Aspen, my family is going to be coming with me: My husband, Sean, and our two kids, August (6) and Adele (2). Thank you!!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Great - Critter (Jill) was hoping there would be some kids to play with Joyanna :)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I SO wish I could be there!! I'll be with you in spirit tho!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky, we all really wish you could be here too. You will be missed!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec: I just mapquested it. A mere 10 hours in a car, that would be more than paid for by all the plants you could take back. Just saying!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Does anybody have Iris Cristata 'alba' to share? I bought a blue and alba from Lazy S S but they goofed and sent me some other iris instead of the alba (they don't even know what it is). I can't complain though, they refunded my money without much of a fight and apologized.

I will check the stores at some point.

This sight is selling the Cristata "alba" http://www.edelweissperennials.com/Large_Image.aspx?nm=420

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Quote from happy_macomb :
Bec: I just mapquested it. A mere 10 hours in a car, that would be more than paid for by all the plants you could take back. Just saying!

I know...trust me, I'd be there if I could!! ^-^

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Anybody need Oregano? I made an oops purchase.

Yes, I need an oregano!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Terp, what did you think you were buying? ;)

I have some oregano that is just sprouting. I think they were Critter's seeds? Or Greenthumb's?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I forgot it is a perennial...
So now I have a 4 pack for the swap. 1-ssg.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd like one, Terp. Happy to pay.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Oregano (2 left): 1 ssg, 1 happy

Don't be silly it was something ridiculous like $1.49 for a four pack.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oregano seeds -- probably not from me unless they were pass-alongs. I like finding a greek oregano I really like and then propagating it vegetatively. I'll hopefully have some oregano and thyme to share at the swap but am not listing them until I have them potted! (but if you're interested it's fine to mention it -- will keep it on my radar LOL)

Must have been Greenthumb then! :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will come up with my "haves" list soon.....
Everyone is so ahead of me---but we still have almost a month to go.

Want to plant out some more of my stuff to see whats available.
I also want to see all my many divided and dug-away divisions perk up a little
before I offer them. That's only fair!

Then walk around with pen and paper and make a list....

G.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.