Anyone know of a source for Senna (Cassia) purpusii?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've been looking for this plant for years:
http://www.wildscaping.com/plants/plantprofiles/Cassia_purpusii.htm

Have had no luck at any of the standard growers/nurseries around the valley even though the DBG has some that do beautifully through our summers.

Supposedly, the Sonoran Desert Museum used to have a few during its annual sales, but hasn't in a while.

Even the Internet searches for sources are coming up blank. I'd even take seed at this point, but the one source I found that carries it (in Germany) is out of stock too!

Can't believe this gorgeous shrub that does so well in the valley hasn't created a huge demand.

So, am I missing anything? Really would love to have them for my landscape!

Gilbert, AZ

Have you tried the Desert Botanical Garden? I think they have some plants that they sell all year at the gift shop.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah - that's where I fell in love with it! They have several in the public display areas, but they haven't yet propagated the species. I've been trying to get them to start doing so though (I'm a Horticulture Aide at the DBG), so hopefully, some day! The plants they sell in the gift shop typically come from vendors; however, DBG-propagated plants are always available at the annual fall and spring sales. I'll keep at it - and thanks for the suggestion!

BTW - tried two more nurseries today (Baker & Saguaro Country) and came up blank at those too....Grrrr!

Gilbert, AZ

Huh! So who does a Horticulture Aide do at DBG? (I'm thinkin' like a nurses aide....but different??)

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quote from Crista :
Huh! So who does a Horticulture Aide do at DBG? (I'm thinkin' like a nurses aide....but different??)

I assume you mean "what" and not "who"!! ;)

Anyhow, we do a variety of things to assist the Horticulture Division at the DBG. Anything from weeding, watering, planting, repairing irrigation lines and trails, to helping out at the annual sales. It's a fantastic way to learn about the desert and the garden itself - and that's not even mentioning the great people you get to meet and work with!

I also assist with special projects and events (like Luminarias and Flashlight tours) as needed.

Anyone considering volunteering for the DBG should do so! You won't regret it!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Did you try to get some seeds from the plants and germinate them ? I am not sure if they come true from seeds but it is worth a try. I got some seeds for the Mexican redbud from Thompson Boyce Arboretum and they germinated beautifully.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Haven't gotten seeds yet, but have been looking!
Some day!....

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I was thinking of seeds from DBG's bushes. Maybe you can get some from there.

Gilbert, AZ

Yes, Minime, "what" not "who"! The volunteer work there sounds really interesting! Do they require you work a certain number of hours a month?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quote from Crista :
Yes, Minime, "what" not "who"! The volunteer work there sounds really interesting! Do they require you work a certain number of hours a month?

Not at all. That's what is so great about being a volunteer there - you have so many different options on how you can help out and what you can do.

You can get more info here and can apply online:
http://www.dbg.org/membership-support/volunteering

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Gilbert, AZ

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to look into this!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Bakers wouldn't order one in for you? They have always ordered things in for me.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah - I asked, and they don't have access to any vendors that carry this species.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.