Wildflower with white petals

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I saw this plant growing in a sunny floodplain area in a Northern Virginia forest today.

The flowers look like asters to me, but it's too early for those to be blooming.

Help identifying it would be most welcome!

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

This message was edited Apr 27, 2014 10:10 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I think what you have is Star Chickweed, Stellaria media. An attractive plant, I keep a pot of it on my patio.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Star Chickweed looks like a great match. I'm so glad it's a native plant.

Right now there are so many Trout Lilies and Spring Beauties in the forest that it's impossible to walk without stepping on them. I also spotted some Sedum ternatum. Of course, there's also plenty of Lesser Celandine.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear about the Lesser Celandine, it will eventually displace all those Trout Lilies and Spring Beauties.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm going to try to limit its spread, although Japanese stilt grass and Garlic Mustard are greater priorities. Lesser Celandine is a terrible invasive, though. I had to pull out some in order to find the Culver's Root I planted last year; it was buried under it. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to spread into dry areas very quickly.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Ranunculus ficaria? It's very happy in my neighbors yard, top of a gentle slope. shaded, not particularly moist, poor soil, under moss when dormant. Those tiny tubers go everywhere.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, that's it. The ground in that area stays somewhat moist in the spring, so the Ranunculus ficaria is very dense in some areas. I'm going to try to limit its spread; that's about all I can do. I removed all of it from a small area so that I could sow seeds. At least it doesn't grow very well in dry areas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.