Echinopsis/Trichocereus blooms I!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have had a few of my Echinopsis/Trichocereus plants/hybrid bloom over the last week or so and I wanted to share the pictures.
In sequence: E. subdenudata hybrid 'Dominos', E. subdenudata hybrid 'Dolores' (look very similar, but probably with enough differences in the flowers to indeed be separate hybrids), E. hybrid 'Buttercup' - I managed to share some pollen of the buttercup with the subdenudata hybrids, and fruits are forming so who knows maybe I have created a new hybrid. The last one is E. hybrid 'Devon Cream' - a hybrid created in the UK.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Decatur, GA

Beautiful flowers. The Devon Cream is a knock-out!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, I love the Devon Cream also. I wonder if it has a lovely fragrance like E. subdenudata.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Helenchild and Nancy,

The flower does indeed have a very nice fragrance. I'd offer pups, but unfortunately the plant has made no pups yet.

Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Really stunning! What a treat!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's a couple of new Trichs I planted last summer with 1st blooms this spring.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very nice, I have some more coming in the next few nights, tonight it looks like more of the big bright orange-purple-pink flowered one in the first installment of this post. Looks like 4 or 5 flowers at once.... to upstage the 3 at once of a week or so ago.

I think I am getting better at providing the right conditions for some of these Echinopsis hybrids, most are growing and looking good and are flowering for me for the first time, except for few that I think came from really shady conditions at the Huntington Botanical garden. I also think I might not have been giving them enough fertilization. I upped my dosage and frequency this spring and that seems to have helped (well with emphasis on 'seems').

Decatur, GA

Beautiful flowers Nancy.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The Trichocereus can take the sun here all day, but Echinopsis (the smaller plants and flowers) really like afternoon shade or dappled light.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Nancy,

Yes, that is my experience as well. Some of the Tricho's go pretty yellow though in the full sun - and I have a couple that I let get too dry in the full sun late last summer where the regular growth tip got burned too badly to recover, both are now branching near that tip iso the base, which is uncommon as far asI can tell.
I now have most of the smaller Echinopsis hybrids that I have in a shade structure with 30% shade cloth and situated in such a way that they either get about 4-5 hours of direct morning sun and shade thereafter or 3-4 hours of afternoon sun through the shade cloth and mostly full shade before that. Seems to work for most of them except for a few of the Huntington BG Schick hybrids I got last year, those want even less sun, so I am trying with 50% shade cloth iso the 30% I was using. If that does not work they will go under the patio roof where they only get about 2 hours of early morning sun.

The 5 flowers on the big Tricho opened last night, got the pictures at home will post later, pretty spectacular.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, I love all the yellow forms the best,guess cause thats the first kinds I grew! :-)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here is my haul from the last few days:
1. Echinopsis (Trichocereus really) x 'Roxanna' (DBG); 2. Echinopsis x 'Sorceress' (Schick); 3. Echinopsis x 'Light Yellow' (unknown); 4. Echinopsis x 'Sunlight' (not sure of origin, also not sure of the right ID); Echinopsis x 'Kaleidoscope' (gB (Gary Buie)).

Interestingly the flowers either did not open fully or only opened for one night/early morning, whereas last week when it was a lot cooler they opened up fully and remained open for almost 2 full days. The heat (we had 3 days of 97, 99, and 94F in a row the last three days before today being cooler) of the last few days definitely made itself felt.

Nice fragrance all around. I think I managed to transfer pollen from E. 'Light Yellow' to E. 'Sorceress', 'Sunlight', and 'Kaleidoscope' and some pollen from E. 'Sorceress' to E. 'Light Yellow', we will see if I get seed and if I can get it to germinate.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I had several flowers on mine that did not open due to heat and drying high winds, but today is cool and several have opened all the way and are still open at 3 PM in the afternoon. What a difference a day makes! This may be our last cool down before the real heat hits, so we better enjoy it now!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep the heat definitely arrived. I managed to get a few more blooms on some of the Echinopsis hybrids I have, which surprisingly opened up long enough for me to photograph them.
1. E. x 'Orange' (very original name :) ); 2. E. x 'Seismic Shimmer' (Schick); 3. E. x 'Sunset'; 4. E. x 'Killian'; 5. E. x 'Andrae'.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

And a couple more: 1. E. x 'Afterglow' (Schick); 2. E. x 'Anticipation'.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Such beautiful colored flowers. I believe that I am going to get jealous. :) xuling

Decatur, GA

Wonderful flowers.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a Gymnocalycium andreae and it is the same color yellow.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Echinopsis flowers are my favorite. You have a nice collection. I just purchased some Schick hybrids last year. They were very small. Only one has bloomed so far E. Gold Charm. I think the next two are Dewitt hybrids E. June Noon and E. Apricot Glow.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love Echinopsis flowers too. However, many varieties bloom in June, July, Aug. and it is so hot here even in the shade that they don't open at all or only a little. It is just so frustrating!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Smashedcactus, they're all beautiful but that orange one on the right is extra beautiful.

Nancy, coming from the Pacific Northwest where the sun doesn't even have much punch in July, it is always interesting to hear you and others living in the heat talking about it being so hot that the flowers won't open. The varieties of climate in the U.S. amaze me.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Wonderful flower pictures, all. Cool connection on the E./G. andreae, Nancy. The things I learn from looking at flower pictures!

Momlady, you do get most of your clear days during the summer, right? As I remember the climate of the Pacific NW, it's cloudy about 9 months out of the year, with summer being the main exception. Now should be the very best time for your succulents to soak up the rays.

Oddly enough summer is when we get the most hazy/foggy days. Usually it breaks up in the afternoon. The succulents here with eastern exposure have an ideal situation on those days... 50% diffuse sun in the morning and bright shade in the afternoon.

Baja, yes, we have a "modified Mediterranean" climate, with July, August, September having almost no rain. The rest of the year is rain or drizzle or clouds. It's a challenging climate in its own way, because many plants just can't make it through the winter with their feet so wet. The summer is amazingly gorgeous, though. With cloudless skies, low humidity, and a high of 75-85, it's extremely comfortable.
I have been putting my plants out for sunbaths. :-) I'm figuring out which ones want the sun and which ones don't. The Adenium arabicum really loves the sun. The Adenia fruticosa doesn't. Etc. All the succulents enjoy having the summer sun, if only indirectly.
That is very interesting about the summer being hazy and foggy. I can see how your eastern succulents would love it! Your rainfall is very low, right? And your temperatures are very moderate compared to other areas that far south, I think. I always think of Mexico as a blazing desert, but I don't think that's the case for you.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Baja is right at the ocean which has a moderating effect on the weather-nice pleasant days and misting/fog at times. The cacti/succulents love that kind of weather. Here in Phoenix without the ocean it is just hot and dry! Some cacti like Phoenix weather though-see below photo of Lobivia pentlandii.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

That is just beautiful. I hadn't heard of Lobivia. Another learning experience!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Is this one (Echinopsis)? It is hidden from sight and only just discovered. Such a lovely color but it didn't quite open up all the way, or I missed it. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes it is.
Very nice flowers!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Xuling, WOW nice color !!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

In these two photos it has opened up. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

And here is one that I cannot remember opening before, but I have to check my folders before I say with certainty. Buiningia brevecylindrica v Longispina. It is such an odd little flower. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Xuling,

If that is the right ID and it looks like it is, its official name is now: Coleocephalocereus aureus.
The cephalium on your plant appears to have just started growing and the yellow flower looks right.
Very nice!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

tx mcvansoest. Found a picture when it was first at home (08.05.2011), and verified that this is its first bloom. x

This message was edited Jul 9, 2014 5:14 PM

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

had to open this up in order to be able to download the photo.

Thumbnail by xuling
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Nice surprise this morning.... E. spachiana reblooming.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beautiful. I have a few E. hybrids with some flower development going on, we will have to see if they open all the way. Now that our monsoon has actually started it is a little less hot and a lot more humid, better environment for the flowers... fingers crossed.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

One of my spachiana's had two reblooms on it yesterday. So pretty. xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know a Lobivopsis hybrid from a Trichocereus or an Echinopsis. But my name tag for this plant says Lobivopsis hybrid. xuling

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I've had this for three years. I finally got it to bloom. E. Cardenasiana.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The plant has beautiful shape and color. And the bloom color is stunning. xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.