Have you been successful planting this in your 7B garden?

Saint Pauls, NC(Zone 7b)

Angelwing Jasmine, Shining Jasmine, Confederate Jasmine, Star Jasmine
Jasminum nitidum

I picked up a rather nice sized plant at Lowe's in the markdown area for just $5! I love a deal....but now I am afraid to put it out permanently for fear of it not surviving the winter. I am located in 7b-8 zone. I would love any advise!

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) can handle the cold down better than other jasmines. I have friends in Charlotte that have 3-10 yr old plants that the crown comes back each year. This past winter they cut them back and threw old sheets on top before covering with mulch and I just talked with her this past weekend and all three have about 18 in of new growth already. It can also handle hotter temps then most other jasmines. I currently have it planted on the south side of my home in Las Vegas and it has made it through two summers with only a bit of wilt due to a faulty drip line.

Angelwing Jasmine, Shining Jasmine or Star Jasmine depending on where you live the name seems to change (Jasminum nitidum) typically dies off during the winter in Vegas so I doubt they will handle your colder temps. Although they do fabulous during the summer as a fast growing annual vine in colder zones.

Hope this helps some.

Keep your receipt. All Lowe's plants have a one year return policy.

Dillon, SC(Zone 7b)

I live in zone 7b and had two beautiful Confederate jasmines on a wooden arch that blew down during a storm during the spring of 2013. The vines covered the arch and, other than trimming it to keep it in place, I never cut it back completely. Nor did I ever provide any winter protection. It lay sprawled on the ground and bloomed twice that year, then we replaced the arch last fall and had to cut it back to about two feet from the ground. Much to my dismay, both vines died! Perhaps if I had thought to provide some winter protection they would have come back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.