Mango leaves turning yellow and dropping

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

My potted mangoe from seed has leaves turning yellow and dropping after 2 years. Why? This is the first time this had happened. I live in Zone 11.

Thumbnail by aegisprncs Thumbnail by aegisprncs
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How large is the container you have it in and when was the last time you re-potted it? It is hard to tell from the photo but it's a large tree and it is possible it has outgrown it's pot and needs some fresh soil.

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Yah I was thinking the same thing. But it was fantastic one day then not. It's a HUGE pot tho. I may have to man handle the pot to and put the tree on the ground. There really is no digging holes here, it's all cap rock. Thanks for the advice.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i lived in Tavernier for many years and i know all about the rock! lol
i had a lot of plants in big pots but i would cut the bottom out so that the roots could eventually grab hold of whatever ground was there. it's possible that there are roots out of your pot already and are finding their way to the salt water. i had that happen a couple of times with various plants that couldn't take salt. i don't think a mango can handle much salt.
i wonder too if your tree might have some kind of fire type blight. fruit trees are difficult sometimes.

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks trackinsand, that some great advice. I will have to see if there are roots. It is about 30' from end of the canal.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you're welcome.

Cudjoe is one of my favorite keys...:-)

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Well there are no roots grown out of the pot and all of the leaves that haven't fallen are as healthy as can be. I also have new growth. I am thinking maybe it didn't get watered when I was gone for a week about a week ago. Casualties of having the non gardening neighbors water; this is part of the cost of going on vacation. But I will look into trying to open up the bottom of the container so it can grow into the ground. Thanks for that advice sand. Why Cudjoe? But, yes, we do live in a lovely place and we are very fortunate.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2014 6:21 PM

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it seems odd that your tree wouldn't be putting out any roots after two years. how big is it?
you can take a jigsaw and just cut around the bottom...no manhandling needed.

i just like the atmosphere down there.

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

The wood "pot" which was a heavy duty shipping container for a massive industrial pump is lined with a plastic bag with drainage holes (helps to retain the moisture, soil & I don't have to water as often) and is sitting above the pea rock about 4-6" (room for a forklift).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.