Aquplancton

Sedona, AZ

Has anyone used this "all natural product" to clear their pond of algae? If so, what were your results? (How long did it take to achieve results?)

I have a 5,500 gallon pond with eleven (semi-) large Koi and about 28 very small goldfish and 2 very small koi.

If you have used this product and it's worked for you, do you still find the need to vacuum you pond on occasion?

Feedback GREATLY appreciated!!!

Bonita10
Sedona, AZ

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Sorry, never even heard of it. I use a mix of MicrobeLift organic products (Algaway 4.4) and just tried Pondzyme with Barley. Seems to work well. I still need to vacuum to get the cleanest results but no where near what it would be without the treatments.

Athens, PA

Bonita

I have not heard of this product either. I too use the Microbelift in the Spring and then the Pondzyme. We vacuum in the Spring to get things cleaned up from the winter and then vacuum again so the fish don't hibernate in the crud.

You do seem to have quite a fish load too - how large are the semi large koi? I have 17 large koi in a pond that is just under 5000 gallons and if I don't have a pump running in my bog, the fish wastes become a problem. You can see the bog areas in this photo with the pump in the larger bog on the right.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Hey Carolyn. Your pond is about the same color as mine, maybe more green. And just as bare naked without all your lovely plants and trees. Looks like two pond deicers still in there?? I haven't dump in the PL yet. Guess I should. Damien will start up the UV's this weekend so I will have to turn them off for three days while the bacteria builds up in the biowell and elsewhere.

Athens, PA

Hi Mary! How are you? That picture was taken last March. My deicers were taken out about 3 weeks ago. I have been adding the Microbe lift for the last 3 weeks. Tomorrow we lift out the waterlilies and get them fertilized. After that the Spring vacuuming. I will add the last does of the Microbelift after that.

My lilies are still in the bottom in a pot. I really need to get them out too. A little under the weather these days so moving slow. But it will get done. I will start the PL today. Maybe vacuum tomorrow.

Athens, PA

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Never heard of aquplancton either.

Just vacuumed both ponds and cleaned all filtration material and put in summer blend in large one and pondzyme in small one. Also did partial water change in large 1 and will do smaller pond tomorrow.

They look a little brown but once water settles down hopefully they will be clearer. I moved 4 koi that were getting big from small pond to larger pond also today. They sure are showing the big guys how to eat. Plus add a lot more color in there.

Mary get to feeling better real soon.

Sedona, AZ

The semi-large Koi range from 11.5" to 17.5".

Based on feedback I'd received, I did order the PondoVac 4 system (via Foster & Smith). I've not used it yet, as I'm treating the pond first with the aquaplancton, which I hope will take care of the majority of the crud. Once the treatment is complete, I will put the Pondo to work!

I also installed a "sail tarp" over the pond recently, as it's not in an area that will have any natural shade for a few years. I am hoping the tarp will not only help mitigate algae production (as opposed to no tarp), but will also provide a bit of a more (dare I write?) natural deterrent from predator hawks (and the like) until my pond plants get established.

The aquaplancton treatment has turned the pond a pea soup green, thus I am reluctant to take/post a picture of it until the water has cleared.

You ponders rock! I greatly appreciate your feedback/insights!!

Bonita10

Athens, PA

Bonita

There is a normal 'green' period when the pond is cycling. This happens every year. When did you start up? I see you are in Arizona, so you probably started a lot sooner than I did.

Glad you think we rock - it's always fun here and we are a gabby bunch.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2014 8:46 PM

I have a Pondvac 3 which I like very much. Does a good job.

Sedona, AZ

Good Sunday Morning All,

Carolyn22, what do you mean by the term "cycling"?

The pond was begun between late July and early August. From the first dig, it took approximately two weeks to be "working". However, as I am sure all here would agree, it will never truly be "done" - LOL! The "small fish" were purchased as a local pet shop & they wintered over nicely. The first lot of the "big guys" (5) were purchased approx. the last week in March. The second lot (6) came approximately two weeks ago & all appear to be thriving.
I am certain my "aquatic children" and I will all feel better when the pond is no longer green and I am also able to get my pond plants going.

Out of curiosity, do most of you name your "aquatic children" as I have?

Bonita10

My husband names some. Used to name all when we had only half a dozen small koi. Now he names the more distinguished gold fish. I do have (or had when I bought them last year) four small koi from WallyWorld. Learned my lesson on paying big bucks to import 'real' koi from outside. I check several times a day for the fish to see who survived the winter to determine if we finally have solved the winter loss problem. But no sign yet. They really wait to come out of the caves. About ten babies can be seen.

Athens, PA

Bonita

Sorry - I meant when did you start up your pond from the winter? Typically I can get pumps started during the month of March, however, this past year, everything has been later than normal. It is still relatively cold here.

What I mean by 'cycling' is that a pond 'cycles' in an effort to produce and maintain good bacteria. The levels will go up and down until they stablize. During the periods of cycling, it is not uncommon for a 'green' period in the pond. There is more information on pond cycling on the internet. I did find quite a bit of information on this link - http://www.michigankoi.com/Understanding-the-Nitrogen-Cycle-Koi-Pond-Water-Information-sc-280.html

Funny thing about naming the fish - my daughter named a couple and I named 1, but we never named all of them.

Athens, PA

Bonita

I was trying to find information on Aquaplancton - what does it say is in it on the container? Just curious,

Thanks

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Many of our fish are named. Sometimes by physical characteristics. Such as my black and white is Orca. Blondie and Goldie are just that. One of my sons eats like a pig and comes to the side of the pond with mouth open-that is Packman. I call it Pig-O. I have a beautiful butterfly (long fin) with very blue eyes so I call her Blue-eyes. Crazy huh!!

I'm curious too as in what's in Aquaplancton. I know plancton comes from the ocean and that's what the name reminds of. It's often in sea weed.

Oberon, I sure hope you have some live fish this year. I sure can understand why you wouldn't buy any more expensive koi. Since I transferred 4 from old pond that were getting good sized now the slow eaters (big fish) in larger pond are coming up with them and eating more. Follow the leader I guess. It happened first time I fed them after transfer. After a close look at Packman we think it's Packwomen. Looks like she is egging. Never have seen any babies yet so guess after expelling them they have a buffet of extra protein.

Bonita, good luck with your pond and fish.
Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie. I will no doubt. All else in the garden is so grand this year, it just has to be.

Stirling, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hey Mary, How long have you had your pondvac? I've had mine about 8 years and it seems to not be working like it used to. Water is coming out from the ring where the upper and lower halves come together.....I don't know if it is fixable or if I'll have to spring for a new one.........

Mine works fine. I know there is a gasket there that needs to be replaced. There are also one or two internal gaskets that need attention from time to time. If you haven't done that in 8 years then I would say you are overdue. Look up the model number and go online for maintenance parts. One of the pond places that sells them should have the parts.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Just googled it: Aquplancton

Go to: www.myhealthykoi.com/

Too long to write here.

Athens, PA

Bonnie

I saw that and then read something about outer scales and lime and somehow I think there was calcium something or other involved. Not quite sure how that would fight algae. I think I would have to test it.

Sedona, AZ

Hello All & thank you BonnieGardens.

They do not give the ingredients to Aquaplankton & I was going to provide the very link you gave. The pond here never froze during the winter, but I had only the "little guys" in there, so not too much muck/algae. However, as soon as things started to heat-up, & I got the "large bod squad" it appeared. Used the Aquaplankton 8 days ago and the water is slowly but surely starting to clear. I will post some pictures of the pond immediately after the treatment (green & thick like pea soup) and once the process is complete (hopefully a very clear pond only requiring some light vacuuming).

Very windy here the past two days. So much so that the new "sail tarp" I installed over the pond about 10 days ago to provide some shade broke loose and was flapping on the water. I will need to secure it in a "bigger & better" fashion next time!

Bonita10

Athens, PA

Bonita -

Glad your pond is starting to clear. Can't wait to see pictures of your pond.....

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonita, do you have a UV clarifier on your pond? They do wonders for helping keep in clear.

Really need to get the pond vac out. Pond is clear but the dead stuff (algae) on the sides and bottom is pretty grim. The pond vac would do a great job now that I have beaten the hordes of algae that used to clog it up so badly. I run a series of stuff like roof drains from the exhaust hose to an outside drain so it doesn't flood my yard and the algae would clog up at each joint as they little metal ditches were fairly small (maybe 4" across at the top and maybe 2" at the bottom joined by (don't laugh) duct tape. Hey, life without duct tape would be pretty boring and frustrating. Now the canal should run pretty freely. May give it a try today. Hmmm. Or tomorrow morning. Busy to day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.