Help! not sure how to do this ......

innisfil, ON(Zone 5a)

Hello all. long time lurker, first time poster.
About 5 years ago we put in a very small preformed pond in the front yard, the following year we pulled it out and replaced it with a larger liner pond. This year we would like to add a second small pond above the first one with a stream and water cascading down into the first pond. The pump we have moves 600 gph which I hope will be enough the stream will be less than 5 ft long. Now to the help part I cant for the life of me figure out how to make the upper pond spill into the stream. I am hoping some of you friendly folk here will have some advice, ideas. I am just having a hard time wrapping my mind around how it will "work". the second pond will be only slightly higher that the first, I am talking several inches maybe 4-6, 8-10 to where it will flow across a flat stone into the first pond. We have 4 feeder gold fish that were 1 inch for years ago who are now 6 inches! the pond is still plenty big for them. We like a more natural looking pond, and I have plenty of ground covers and mosses planted around the first pond. the second pond is smack dab in the middle of my front garden so it will be planted heavily. So fellow ponders help a girl out, and explain to me how I can do this
Jenn

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Jenn,
If I understand you correctly what you want to do could be accomplished with a EPDM liner cut to fit from upper pond into stream to run into lower pond.

If you could post a picture of your layout would be great help. Also, if you figure head feet (distance from pump to where it flows into pond and stream) you will know if your pumps is strong enough to push amount of water you have in pond. Hope I haven't further confused you.

Pic please.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

PS there are charts available on pond bldg. sites that figure head feet for you according to distance you are pumping water.

innisfil, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much bonnie I will post a pic once the rain stops. I will look for those charts

innisfil, ON(Zone 5a)

Do I just let the water spill out of the upper pond into the stream and then onto the lower pond?
The pump is submersible and is located in the lower pond. So I will pump water to the upper pond and it will just spill over?

Thx
Jenn

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Jenns....Bonnie is right, you'll have to figure out the height/length/distance for your pump. It may be too weak to run water up the hill, to feed the stream. Time will tell. Adding some rocks along the way, down the stream, will make it look more natural and less like a chute.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Agreed. DH computed the so called "head" for our pumps to get water from the pond up the hillock to the biowell. You lose head for each foot you ascend. It is measured from the top of the pond, not the bottom however.

Athens, PA

Jenn -

I agree with Mary, Bonnie and Mary. Check out the head space between the end of the pond and the top of the waterfalls.

I did google what you want to do and there are a number of different sites and photos where people have done this.

One thing I would do is to check with your local ordinances. In my area, I cannot have anything larger than 1x2 ft and no deeper than an inch without having it fenced in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.